Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373139 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2550 on: April 06, 2014, 02:05:29 am »

Meh, if I have a cloak I'm not going to shell out a net 165 scrap just for the shield drone's effect.  The cloak and base system upgrades are all that's needed to tank most sector 8 ships (including the flagship with luck), so my shop purchases past that would all be offensive (or crew if I'm low).  Not even sure it would be worth the base 60 at that point.  If it randomly drops and I already have a drone system, cool combo I guess.

I got Rock C tonight and won on my first try, although I might not have without the awesome that is ion bomb launchers.  Its a hyrbrid/rock crystal ship, but at the core there's still the standard Kestral layout with 3 crew, a missile launcher and a beam crystal weapon.  Its very powerful in the early section because its crystal weapon pierces single shield layers, but both weapons scale awfully and its only a decent boarding ship.  So you better hope the RNG hands you some good weapons.  There are doors and airlocks fucking everywhere on it, to the point where if you don't pause before clicking you WILL drain a manned room of air at some point.  It even has a console that's attached to a door instead of a wall, which is silly.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: April 06, 2014, 04:11:25 am »

I found out what was different about the Rebel Stronghold sector compared to normal Rebel controlled sectors.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 06, 2014, 04:24:50 am »

I found out what was different about the Rebel Stronghold sector compared to normal Rebel controlled sectors.

What is different?
Make love not war

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: April 06, 2014, 04:54:27 am »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:15 am »

[Star Wars parallels intensifies]

Also, bought what I thought was a drone system with a defense drone, turned out to be a combat drone.  Its happened before but this time was on hard mode.  Ouch.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 06, 2014, 07:52:48 am »

Poor guy... I almost feel bad for him  ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 06, 2014, 08:27:41 am »

Eeck, I can't get the Engi A or the Kestrel A... Well, anywhere, really. I just keep dieing eventually. Haven't even reached Sector 8.

And when I finally get a decent run going, the game decides to say "FUCK YOU" and throws a Zoltan boarding party at my crew consisting of 3 humans.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:42:11 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 06, 2014, 08:56:34 am »

Both Engi A and Kestral A are pretty good.  For the Kestral I'd say remember to use your rocket if it looks like an enemy ship can get a shot at you.  A well-timed hit to the shields or the weapons can save you a lot of hull damage.  Also the Burst Laser II is one of the best weapons in the game, make sure you keep it on your roster as you find other weapons.

If you're really having trouble with boarders try using upgraded doors (either by buying the upgrade or moving someone to the door system when the boarders arrive).  If you vent rooms cleverly you can often avoid having to fight the boarders at all.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 06, 2014, 09:52:13 am »

And for engi, get MORE ION. Ion weapons synergize with themselves to create amazing, inescapable ion chains. You're weapons guy should train up quick, which helps, and if you can grab an automatic reload do that too.

Then get... anything really. A minibeam? Sure, why not. Get a beam or a laser or whatever else you can stick in the last slot, then focus on defense (defense drones, cloaks, shields and evasion and whatnot) and you'll be able to whittle down any ship, no matter how tough.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:28 am »

The Lanius B starts with a teleporter. Oh man, I've wanted to test out Lanius boarders.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 06, 2014, 10:04:49 am »

Made it to the Flagship for the first time.
How fucked am I?

All of my crewmembers are gold in their station except for the Engi, who was a last-minute purchase.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2561 on: April 06, 2014, 10:14:50 am »

And for engi, get MORE ION. Ion weapons synergize with themselves to create amazing, inescapable ion chains. You're weapons guy should train up quick, which helps, and if you can grab an automatic reload do that too.

I actually had two ion weapons last time, and had to switch one of them over for a flak because they would only take one shield point off, even if both fired and both hit. Given that my other weapons were beams, I couldn't hit anything with 2 or more shields. Am I missing something?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 06, 2014, 10:19:32 am »

Welp, second phase killed me.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 06, 2014, 10:19:50 am »

stagger the fire so they both don't fire at the exact same time and you should be fine

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 06, 2014, 10:22:28 am »

Is there any way to unlock the C class of ships besides reaching the Last Stand with the B class? Because that's easy enough with, say, the Kestrel or the Basilisk, but I'm not sure if I could manage it with the Torus.

Also, what are people's opinions of the C's so far? I only have the Mantis and Kestrel right now.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 243