Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373179 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2505 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »

After dying to the flagship last night as mantis, I decide to try and unlock the Cruiser C.  Normal difficulty of course

First beacon, a puny auto-scout.  Second beacon, I try to engage a rebel freighter...  It flees, but opens fire with two blasters and an attack drone.  I try to missile their cockpit, miss.  I dual-laser their cockpit, and hit... but this sector 1 freighter has a reinforced cockpit.  I miss their shield room with another missile and decide to just restart.

First beacon... another freighter trying to run!  I missile their cockpit this time.  Their missile hits my weapons, knocking out both blocks.  Okay... I send all my guys there to speed repairs.  Their second missile hits my weapons.  Their third missile hits my weapons.

You know what, maybe I'll unlock the Kestrel C instead...  Siege laser is fun, but golly it takes forever to charge.

Edit: I unpause the battle and, no joke, the fourth missile hits my weapon room.  Yeaaah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: April 04, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »

Edit: I unpause the battle and, no joke, the fourth missile hits my weapon room.  Yeaaah.

That must be what it is like to be the AI.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: April 04, 2014, 07:34:34 pm »

Damn it. Sat down to play this, and I can't for the life of me get it to restore my old save. Which would mean I'd have to re-unlock everything again. *SIGH*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: April 04, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »

Damn it. Sat down to play this, and I can't for the life of me get it to restore my old save. Which would mean I'd have to re-unlock everything again. *SIGH*

Could be worse, you could do it blind like I am doing.

"Ohh yeah unlock the rock ship!... and I just said the wrong thing... DANG IT!"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:58:49 pm by Neonivek »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »

The good news is that it's easier to unlock ships now, since you can unlock new ships by... what is it, complete the B side of the ship ahead of them in the list? Something like that, I know I wound up with the full armada immediately upon loading due to the revamp despite never getting the Crystal ship previously.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:09 pm »

You have to beat the last boss with the previous ship on the list (it shows the order). Excluding two ships (but one ship is really easy to unlock).

Getting C is incredibly easy... It is unlocking B that is more of a challenge (though to admit, some ships REALLY try to put you through a ringer just to get their B)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: April 04, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »

Unlocked Rock and Lanius ships in one run as Zoltan. Sadly the rebel ship I ran into on the exit ended up killing me as the boarders carried on into the next sector. I didn't have enough health to repair doors with no oxygen and when the doors went down I had opened some doors to suffocate the boarders and thus I couldn't close them to restore oxygen to the door room even though I managed to repair my oxygen module. FML. The slug nebula was my option besides the rock homeworlds or w/e. I got bored after that depressing result, even though I got 2 new ships. Honestly rockman and lanius don't provide enough gameplay variety to tempt me. Nor does unlocking the rest of the B-ships. Still was fun for a free update.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: April 04, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »

Rockmen are a bit tougher now, because they use the Flak

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:35 pm »

I swear I've heard of people modding something to give themselves unlocks.  Mostly to get crystal but you could use it to give yourself your legit unlocks.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: April 05, 2014, 02:50:09 am »

Hard mode is hard.

I've tried maybe five runs so far. Three with the Kestral B, one Rock B, and one Fed Cruiser B.

No dice. I haven't really gotten the chance to play with any of the new toys since upgrading shields and engines seems to be critical to not dying in the first three sectors. And then by sector 4 ships with three shield layers show up and suddenly your offensive options no longer cut it.

/sigh
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:53 am »

Hard is tough, but I've been enjoying it.  It feels more like a roguelike in that there are some enemies you really should be running from.

I seem to remember most of the B sides being pretty OK to unlock providing you do runs just to get an achievement and nothing else.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: April 05, 2014, 10:35:31 am »

I've only made it to the end of the game once (not beaten it, mind you), and that was by running away from a lot of things... the problem is, if you run from more than like 2 encounters you don't have enough upgrades to survive the end....

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »

Flak Cannon II is pretty great, particularly when combined with the new tricks to give enemy ships 0 evasion.  It fires 7 shots at once.  Seven.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: April 05, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

Oh man, I got a stupidly good weapon setup on the Lanius A. Take the starting Chain Laser and Ion Stunner, and add to it a Chain Ion and Charge Ion. And engine hacking. Shields? What shields?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 05, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »

Flak Cannon II is pretty great, particularly when combined with the new tricks to give enemy ships 0 evasion.  It fires 7 shots at once.  Seven.

It is probably one of the only weapons I can think of that basically goes "Shields? What shields?" without draining resources.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 243