Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373242 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2400 on: November 24, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »

Which scenarios are no-win no-retreat, again?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 24, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »

Non-battles.

Though specifically battles where your warp engine is disabled and you have no ability to survive.

But for the most part if that happens it means you were probably on your last leg.

But don't get me wrong, there is no flaw in those unwinnable battles. I am just saying they exist.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:07:33 pm by Neonivek »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 24, 2013, 07:41:59 pm »

Just had a Man of War victory run, because I randomly just felt like using a slug ship.  Kept the bio-beam throughout the whole game, and most of the midgame was spent with me blasting huge amounts of ion damage into the enemy shields before either lighting them on fire (this run was dripping with fire beams, they were all over the place!) or nuking them with the beam.  Endgame I beat the boss by overwhelming the shields thanks to a heavy ion and two burst Mk.IIs, before again picking off the crew with the biobeam.

I specifically refrained from buying a teleporter, because I've had too many boarding runs/wins lately and I wanted to keep things on a different slant...  Plus, this meant more use out of the bio beam, which is just so weirdly satisfying (I do still love fire though).

Non-battles.

Though specifically battles where your warp engine is disabled and you have no ability to survive.

I can't recall a single instance where my FTL was outright denied via an event.  Sure, random pissy luck thanks to bombs, boarders or stray shots, but never an event that cancelled it.  The engine hacking event can only bring it down to one bar, so it will be slow as hell to get the jump ready but it won't prevent you from using it.

Speaking of power bars, ion weaponry apparently can't remove/block the special power bar granted by a Zoltan. I had a fight with a Zoltan manning the engines, and he got ion-bombed three times in a row.  The engines never went completely offline, the FTL jump never stopped charging, and I never fully lost evasion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 24, 2013, 09:21:47 pm »

Yeah two zoltans (or even four!) in an engine room can give you 1 or 2 layers of fully ion-proof shielding.

And you are correct, there are no events that fully disable your engines. They can be brought to 1 bar, and if you only have 1 bar the event is meaningless. It's basically a low-dodge challenge.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 24, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »

Not disable your engines. disable the jump to light

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 24, 2013, 11:32:13 pm »

So, fighting when you're out of fuel? I don't remember any fights where FTL is disabled.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: November 24, 2013, 11:54:22 pm »

So, fighting when you're out of fuel? I don't remember any fights where FTL is disabled.

Honestly this is becoming one of those twilight moments... because I swear this is a thing, but apparently not.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 25, 2013, 04:31:22 pm »

Maybe it's one of those Slug "choose your fate" fights.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 25, 2013, 04:56:07 pm »

The slug choices are shields, oxygen or weapons (I got this event while flying the Basilisk, and told him to disable my weapons...  All one bar of them.  He told me my acceptance of death was almost admirable, and then I beamed mantis disco death party aboard his ship and slime went everywhere).  Actually never seen slugs disable engines, all I've seen are medbay, O2, doors, and then the choice of weapons/shields/oxygen.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: November 25, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »

Fuck slugs. Fuck nebulas. And especially fuck ion storms - worst thing in the game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 25, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »

Fuck slugs. Fuck nebulas. And especially fuck ion storms - worst thing in the game.

Yeah, nebulas suck. I avoid them as much as possible, since I rarely come out ahead in resources if I bother to go through them. Especially nebula sectors. I hate those, and almost every time I've done anything OTHER than make a beeline to the exit or go through a line of non-nebula stars I regret it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 25, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »

Yeah, nebulas suck. I avoid them as much as possible, since I rarely come out ahead in resources if I bother to go through them. Especially nebula sectors. I hate those, and almost every time I've done anything OTHER than make a beeline to the exit or go through a line of non-nebula stars I regret it.

the worst part is the stupid "you have been boarded" event. Waste time, lose structure, and gain no resources. I also avoid them as much as possible.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: November 25, 2013, 06:04:17 pm »

i use nebulae as much as possible.
it will give me more time to visit more locations on a map.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 25, 2013, 06:15:15 pm »

Yeah the nebulae are a leisurely stroll through a goldmine if you're prepared.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »

Preparation for nebulae is really just a single slug crew member.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 243