Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373416 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2235 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:00 pm »

Yeah, the one Tarran is talking about is "shield them with your ship." It has some decent blue options, though, and I don't care about the risk of hull damage since you still get scrap rewards to repair it anyway.

That said, the stuck pirate has a downside too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've only ever had that happen when I chose to scrap them.

I'm pretty sure those are the only two options- try to dislodge and scrap them. Unless you have a beam weapon, so you can safely dislodge them and get free stuff.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »

A teleporter is a substitute for a decent weapon with pretty much any ship, and appears in like a third of shops.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »

A teleporter is a substitute for a decent weapon with pretty much any ship, and appears in like a third of shops.
Engi cruiser?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 31, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

Engi cruiser?

Actually works very well, as the medbay is right next to the teleporter for fast cycling. By the time enemies start consistently having medbays of their own you should have crew from random events or the option to purchase better crew/weapons/drones in a shop.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:18 pm »

Engi cruiser?

Actually works very well, as the medbay is right next to the teleporter for fast cycling. By the time enemies start consistently having medbays of their own you should have crew from random events or the option to purchase better crew/weapons/drones in a shop.
Medbays?  My three ion weapons are taking care of that problem well enough.  And if that still isn't enough?  Simply redirect power from my L III medbay to an anti-ship drone.  Problem solved.
The only problem is that teleporting engi ships suck against the flagship, as I learned a few minutes ago. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 31, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »

Engi cruiser?

There's that "should" word again. I've gotten to the Last Stand more than once with less crew than I started with, and no new ones. Sometimes you just get screwed over, and if you're already doing poorly and spending most of your scrap on repairs you can't buy any new stuff to help you do better.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 31, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »

I'm really doubting that this is purely luck.
It may be due to luck based outcomes; but that's because you're putting too much of your strategy into lucky things happening.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »

It works fine on an Engi A (Engi A is kindof a decent ship in the first place though, and doesn't need any luck really).  The main ship I was thinking of was Engi B, but that just sucks.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:57 pm »

Well, yeah, the Engi B is just terrible at everything. Definitely my least favorite ship, as the only advantages I can think of for it are also possessed by the Engi A, and the A also starts with the best Ion weapon and an attack drone, not to mention some crew to man systems. I'm also starting to really groove to the Engi A, since that Ion weapon is great with whatever beams come your way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »

I'm really doubting that this is purely luck.
It may be due to luck based outcomes; but that's because you're putting too much of your strategy into lucky things happening.

This is seeming like a game where you need to be Lucky AND you need to be good.

It is far to easy to go through the entire game and never get what you need to beat the boss or enemies long the way. As well if you suck at the game it won't matter if you have a good ship either.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:19 pm »

Neonivek, I'm not buying it. Not getting what you need is HARD. Once you get by sector 3, there's very little luck in the game (there's certainly some luck up until that point, but it's still trumped by player skill and smart decisions)

Meanwhile, the Engi B... well, personally, I like it. It's still given me my highest point victory, after all.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:45:10 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:50 pm »

Neonivek, I'm not buying

Good thing I am not selling.

Though I am not buying what you are saying either. There must be a trick they don't tell you. It may be involved with the fact that home planets tend to be at the back.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:28:07 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:52 pm »

Strangely enough GG, I'm not buying your view either. Must be the dozens of runs when I couldn't afford anything thanks to constant damage from crappy evasion rolls. Must be the battles where the very first hit from an enemy wipes out my weapons, leaving me incapable of fighting back. Or the runs where I had no choice but to pass through a hazard which proceeded to disable half of my systems while simultaneously dealing with boarding parties and high-level ships.

Fact is, luck IS the biggest factor in this game. If the enemy shots hit you in the right places, you're fucked. No questions asked, and if you're lucky you'll be able to jump away and pray to whatever deity you wish that there's safety on the other side.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »

Must be the dozens of runs when I couldn't afford anything thanks to constant damage from crappy evasion rolls
Don't waste money repairing too much of it

Must be the battles where the very first hit from an enemy wipes out my weapons, leaving me incapable of fighting back.
Fix them

Or the runs where I had no choice but to pass through a hazard which proceeded to disable half of my systems while simultaneously dealing with boarding parties and high-level ships.
Pause, reroute your power.  Ion storms really tend to hit your opponent harder than they hit you, because they don't have the brains required to prioritize the correct systems (I have been attacked by ships with no functioning weapons in ion storms before).  You may have to turn off your oxygen or engines temporarily, but the fact is your opponent will not be functioning at full capacity either, so you will be able to knock out their weapons and deal with boarders in the normal door-related ways.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:06 pm »

Must be the dozens of runs when I couldn't afford anything thanks to constant damage from crappy evasion rolls
Don't waste money repairing too much of it
If I don't, I die. Or if I buy a new weapon/system, I can't afford the power to use it. In bad runs, there's no good option.

Must be the battles where the very first hit from an enemy wipes out my weapons, leaving me incapable of fighting back.
Fix them
Right, because repairs are instant and the enemy will sit tight and wait for me to recover. You've never had three vital rooms knocked out and on fire/breached at the same time, have you?

Or the runs where I had no choice but to pass through a hazard which proceeded to disable half of my systems while simultaneously dealing with boarding parties and high-level ships.
Pause, reroute your power.  Ion storms really tend to hit your opponent harder than they hit you, because they don't have the brains required to prioritize the correct systems (I have been attacked by ships with no functioning weapons in ion storms before).  You may have to turn off your oxygen or engines temporarily, but the fact is your opponent will not be functioning at full capacity either, so you will be able to knock out their weapons and deal with boarders in the normal door-related ways.
Oddly enough, I've never seen an ion storm where the enemy wasn't at full strength. When I mentioned four weapons, shields, and cloaks earlier, I wasn't exaggerating. That's something I've fought in an ion storm. They're never any weaker than ships outside the storm, and in some cases stronger.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 243