Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373521 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2175 on: January 26, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »

I don't suppose there's a hidden "Win" condition in the Infinite mod, is there? My rock ship is quite literally unbeatable now. Minibosses are a breeze, no matter what weaponry they're packing, and I've even taken to dumping some of my 'better' items (Zoltan shield) and enforcing some iron-man rules (no fleeing, no mid-battle repairs).

But with completely maxxed systems, fully seasoned crew, three advanced crystal burst lasers (9 laser shots) and an advanced ion bomb (5 ion damage), even a 4-bubble + Zoltan shielded ship is made completely vulnerable in 1 pre-ignited opening volley. To say this ship is "OP" would be an understatement. :)

It's certainly been fun tearing around the universe fucking everybody's shit up, though. You get a lucky break in the first couple of sectors, and the galaxy is your oyster.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 26, 2013, 06:45:35 pm »

So having a four Crystal boarding team on the Crystal B is fun.

Does anyone know exactly how many Crystals it take to keep a room on perma-Lockdown?
It's great how they render enemy medbays completely useless.  And allow you to "assassinate" key enemy systems or personnel.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 26, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

Oh god, the Mantis B is amazing once you've gotten some stuff. I have a small bomb and a breacher bomb mk. II, so I can disable the enemy's medbay remotely before dumping four max-level mantis boarders into their ship. Nothing survives ever.

Next stop, the Rebel Flagship!

The Mantis B is an absurdly awesome ship once you get past the first few stages. Four boarders, let alone four Mantis boarders, can cream anything with only a bit of firepower, and the amount of scrap you'll be rolling in from all the ships you capture will be enough to let you buy whatever upgrades you want early on. Easily my favourite ship.

Though I have to say the Rock B is pretty awesome too, since you can firebomb a room, drop your rocks in, and laugh because rocks don't take fire damage.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 27, 2013, 05:17:21 am »

Almost won my second game. If I had more missles, or still had my soldiers I lost due to a stupid mistake, it would have been an easy clear victory, but I was running out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 27, 2013, 05:26:53 am »

I'm terrible with the stealth ship, though I partly blame bad luck. In one battle in this last run, I got hit five times while cloaked. 90% evasion odds over several cloaks, and I just kept getting hit anyway. Didn't even survive the second sector.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:51 am »

I'm terrible with the stealth ship, though I partly blame bad luck. In one battle in this last run, I got hit five times while cloaked. 90% evasion odds over several cloaks, and I just kept getting hit anyway. Didn't even survive the second sector.
I guess you could say that's...
8)
Astronomically bad luck.
*Face palm for just reading that*

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 27, 2013, 08:50:51 am »

Honestly, I'd say it was more...
8)
Unforeseeable bad luck.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 27, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »

Honestly, I'd say it was more...
8)
Unforeseeable bad luck.

Judging by my experience with the game. Depending on your ship you NEED your luck. Some just become completely ineffectual almost immediately.

For example the starting ship can stay relatively competent for 3 sectors. Some will have trouble almost immediately after the very first one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:01:01 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 27, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

Get slightly better engines?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: January 28, 2013, 01:27:09 am »

So I'm trying to get the Pacifism and no system/reactor upgrades achievements, and since I want to be economical I'm trying to get them at the same time.

I'm trying to figure out what the best ship for this is. My first instinct was the Stealth Cruiser A, since it has the most engines and cloak and therefore the most FTL charge.

However, both runs haven't been successful, which should not be all that surprising considering how successful Stealth Cruiser runs are even when you're not trying to run away from everything. I also considered the Zoltan ships for the free 5 HP every jump but with only two engines or less I don't think the FTL charges fast enough to make it better than the Stealth A.

Thoughts? It certainly makes for an interesting challenge.

EDIT: Pffft, if I had just waited. I got it on Stealth A run number three on one of the friendliest flights through four sectors I've come across.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:49:05 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:55 am »

I think the Zoltan is, honestly, a good choice, but the big advantage of the Stealth ship is actually the long range scanners.

Ultimately, though, I'd put the Zoltan ship a little ways ahead. Eventually, you're going to need to take some damage, and the Zoltan ship can survive that.

Although - A ship like the Engi ship, that starts with anti-missile drones doesn't it, might be even better. At the very least it starts with a drone control, which means potentially getting lucky...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:54:16 am by GlyphGryph »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:36 am »

Mantis B starts out with two layers of shield and a defense drone.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 28, 2013, 08:26:55 am »

I can't wait to get the zoltan ship. Supershield and free reactor bars? Hell yes. What its weaknesses?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:37 am »

All Zoltan crew? Tiny reactor?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 28, 2013, 09:39:58 am »

Zoltan A doesn't have very good weapons either, although that doesn't really matter for a pacifism run.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 243