Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373536 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2145 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:43 pm »

Depending on how close you were to the base, you might also have been able to search for a Shop to buy new armament. But yeah, that's pretty much a lost cause.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:42 am »

Even if you had mantises, they'd just retreat to their medbay and heal up while some other new guys blasted you.

You have failed. All you can do is keep the rebel fleet in a sector wide time stop.
Not true. I took out the final boss' crew before with 1 mantis (or 2? can't really remember) and a rock+(1?, 2?)somethingelse support, even though their medbay was operational. So it's definitely possible to take out their crew that way. It just takes a very long time and a lot of luck, killing one or two of their men every 6 or more boardings. Make sure you have 4 men in one room at one time to maximize the chances to kill one of their dudes and minimize the chance to lose your own before you can beam them out. I also recommend a level 3 teleporter for the job.

Once you kill all their crew, their ship then becomes easymode, really.

Actually, I'm just going to give up. Even if I did beat the first phase, the boarding drones from the second would overpower me.
Err, maybe you should destroy their drone control?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:46:01 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:22 am »

I think the big problem with any kind of boarding strategy was that his crew was mostly Engi. He lacked all kinds of dakka.

For me, on the other hand, I had my first victory in the Vortex due to all KINDS of dakka! I did the first two parts of the Crystal quest (no Rock worlds on my route, though, so I couldn't complete it) to get the Crystal guy, who combined with a Slug for a nice little boarding party. A pair of Hull lasers and the starting Heavy laser gave me plenty of punch in conjunction with a pair of Anti ship drones, while a Defense drone kept me nice and safe. No worries about dropping three drones a combat since I had a Drone Recovery Arm. Since the second form of the boss dropped another Anti Ship drone, I rolled with three against the final form and let my boarders take down the enemy missile. I haven't yet maxxed every system on a run, but that one came close- needed the top level of Weapons and Pilot to do it, although I never bought a Sensors subsystem.

Not only was it my first victory in the Vortex, it was also my highest scoring game ever, ranking a bit ahead of a run in the Torus. A few more like that and I'll be able to sweep my non-victory off the top five.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:00 am »

I think the big problem with any kind of boarding strategy was that his crew was mostly Engi. He lacked all kinds of dakka.
Even with Engi, if we assume that I only used one Mantis (and the other one died like I think he did), his dakka would have been equal in a 4-man squad with his mantises unless I'm counting wrong. In fact, if he sent the human, he would have even surpassed my dakka. Plus, the two mantises are a serious advantage to killing running enemies considering the enemies they're fighting will be the first to run, thus they will be the ones to fire at the running enemies.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:27:45 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 24, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

I find that running out of missiles is always a problem with the boss. As for that battle, I'd try focusing on the doors so you have the ability to move around in their ship. I'd keep trying just for the sake of accomplishing it :)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 24, 2013, 12:28:13 pm »

As for that battle, I'd try focusing on the doors so you have the ability to move around in their ship.
Likely won't work, in my experience there will be too many people coming in and going out that his 2 boarders won't have a real chance to take it out before they're low on health.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 24, 2013, 03:43:51 pm »

I finally have all the ships unlocked, and except for the Rock and Slug B's all the variants as well. That took way too long...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »

I beat the flagship in my next run. The first phase, I dakka'd its shields into oblivion before hitting the missile launcher and shields with a glaive beam, then repeating until it died. The second phase went the same way (and I only took two boarding drones to the face). The third phase was kinda underwhelming, what with all the boarders getting wrecked by either asphyxiation due to level 3 doors or my two rockmen and that mantis guy who gives you the mantis cruiser (score!). Also, a half dozen laser shots is not a superweapon, especially when I have over 50% evade and four shields.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:18:40 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 24, 2013, 11:18:10 pm »

I beat the flagship in my next run. The first phase, I dakka'd its shields into oblivion before hitting the missile launcher and shields with a glaive beam, then repeating until it died. The second phase went the same way. The third phase was kinda underwhelming, what with all the boarders getting wrecked by either asphyxiation due to level 3 doors or the rockmen. Also, a half dozen laser shots is not a superweapon, especially when I have over 50% evade and four shields.

4 shield, over 50% evade, and what sounds like 8 weapon points. Sounds like you got really lucky.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 24, 2013, 11:21:39 pm »

That's basically what I spent all my scrap on. More weapons, more engines, more shields, more power, and the necessities for unlocking the mantis cruiser.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 25, 2013, 02:13:20 am »

That's basically what I spent all my scrap on. More weapons, more engines, more shields, more power, and the necessities for unlocking the mantis cruiser.

The luck isnt what you spent your scrap on, its the amount of scrap you got.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 25, 2013, 08:12:27 am »

I generally find that I can have excessive amounts of scrap given two factors: scrap recovery arm early, and teleporters. I regularly fight the final boss with 4 shields, 50% evade, and weapons to spare.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:23 am »

It's not uncommon for me to have runs where I have 500-1000 scrap to spare that I simply don't bother to spend because I can't find anything to spend it on.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:56 am »

I must have discovered something because now I am making as much scrap in normal games as I used to in easy games. And I don't use teleporters or fire/suffocation.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: January 25, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »

Man, the Stealth Cruiser is really vulnerable to bad luck in the first few sectors. Just got creamed by a Volton Bomber with a beam drone in my second fight. It took out my engines with the first shot, my weapons with the next, and my cloak with the third (after I got back from the first cloak). I eventually managed to do a little bit of damage to the ship, but I was pretty crippled the entire fight and never had both my helm and engine working at the same time so I couldn't even flee.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 243