Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373560 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2070 on: January 19, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »

They should have given the Vortex named shipboard drones that are much better at their jobs.  Then there'd be some incentive to play it as the drone-crewed ship its supposed to be, especially if the drones sold for close to the normal price.  And it needs an effective weapon loadout, or you're basically forced to sell the ship-board drones to get exterior ones.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: January 19, 2013, 10:22:40 pm »

Wow... I consistantly dominate with the Slug ship. The bio beam is pretty damn effective and fun, imo.

Then again I also just pretty much skipped the last two sectors and still beat the boss so I may not be representative...

Of course, I think the Fed Cruiser is the worst ship and the Stealth ship is the best ship, so it may just be a difference of styles.

I'm gonna go see if I can win with the Vortex.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:11 pm »

Just unlocked the Stealth B, and all I can say is WHEEEEEEEEE

It took three victory runs to do it, since I kept encountering systems where it was impossible to get through without jumping into an environmental hazard. None of the three runs cracked my high score list, and only one of them even broke 5k.

I'm actually a fan of the Slug Cruiser. AIs are a pain (and Zoltans, to a lesser extent) but you take so many other ships intact, you end up rolling in scrap most runs. I tend to run at an extra layer of shield right away so I can effectively turtle the first couple sectors, make the most out of the Anti-Bio Beam. Buy/loot an extra weapon to get some versatility, and by the time the Bio Beam is becoming ineffective due to high enemy shields you can replace it with a good teleport crew.

I have to agree about how terrible the Vortex is. In particular, the "drone crew" concept doesn't work because you lose the crew bonus to manned systems, and once you've got enough crew to man everything you don't need the onboard drones anymore. Sure, it's got the extra drone slot, but so does the Torus, which also starts out with a useful drone, the best ion weapon, and a nifty augment.

I bitch mostly because the Vortex is one of the ships I haven't won in yet, and I hate how to have even a halfway successful run I need to replace basically everything as rapidly as possible. Which means I'm behind in system upgrades, or more likely means that I'm only a little behind on systems and I wasn't able to replace everything, resulting in death due to lack-of-dakka.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: January 20, 2013, 09:02:42 am »

Wow... I consistantly dominate with the Slug ship. The bio beam is pretty damn effective and fun, imo.

Then again I also just pretty much skipped the last two sectors and still beat the boss so I may not be representative...

Of course, I think the Fed Cruiser is the worst ship and the Stealth ship is the best ship, so it may just be a difference of styles.

I'm gonna go see if I can win with the Vortex.

Don't have the Stealth yet, but I love the Fed Cruiser almost as much as the Mantis B. You can basically turtle in the knowledge that the Arty beam WILL eventually do a bunch of damage so long as the target doesn't have Zoltan shields, and by the time enemies show up that you need to kill faster, you probably already have some weaponry capable of at least preventing them from wrecking you. On the other hand, even with an awesome loadout I only beat the Rebel flagship with 3 hull, so the Stealth definitely has a lot of advantages.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: January 20, 2013, 09:22:13 am »

So, just cruised to an easy victory with the Vortex. Took a total of... 6 damage from the boss? 7? Not like it mattered, because I ended with full hull and an extra 500+ scrap in the hold.

Sadly Captain Remalle died in Sector 5 to concentrated missile fire, but luckily I'd gotten more crew by then.

Also my highest scoring victory yet, at 5432.

):

I was really hoping that was going to be a bit more difficult. It really was an easy victory, and this isn't even counting the fact that I lost three members of my boarding party due to not-paying-attention over the course of the first 6 sectors.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: January 20, 2013, 11:43:16 am »

Total guess here, but I'd imagine deleting the prof.sav file in your MyDocuments/FasterThanLight folder. Keep a backup 'cause I might be completely wrong though.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:23 pm »

The Mantis A ship is pretty fun... Definitely helps to start off with both mantis crewmembers and a teleporter, given that that's pretty much the favored way to ensure good scrap returns.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: January 20, 2013, 07:09:13 pm »

Urgh, I just got a reasonably lucky run, with a bunch of extra crew members and an enormous pile of scrap and fully upgraded subsystems and reasonably upgraded shields on the Kestrel. Stuff was pretty good. Then, on the second-to-last sector I ran into a ship with 4 shields and a defense drone. And a teleporter. And in excess of 8 human crew members. This was about where I started to regret my decision to not change from the starting weapons besides picking up an extra burst I. I could barely dent them before being practically destroyed by ion weapons and missiles.
They teleported over and royally messed me up. I activated my anti-personnel drones and split my crew between being on the engines and harassing the boarders. I entered that fight with 5 crew members and left with just a human and an engi; and with no drone parts.
It probably won't surprise anyone that I lost before leaving the sector.

#m4d_sk1llz
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:16 am »

I just want the ship too. But I'm just unlucky.

You sound like you are actually bad at this. ;)

Why weren't your doors upgraded by this sector? If they WERE, why didn't you spess the mantis? Why did you let them shoot missiles into your ship instead of disabling their weapons? Why why why why why?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: January 21, 2013, 09:00:38 am »

I'm only have the slug cruiser left to unlock, but the RNGod points and laughs at me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:53 am »

It sounds perfectly survivable to me. You're well kitted, and perfectly well equipped to win that fight with high likelihood and minimal damage. I've been in almost the exact same situation.

Step 1: Ion set to autofire at shields, keeping them suppressed and allowing the attack drone to deal damage. With an automated reloaded, this 20-30 seconds, assuming a fairly normal evasion rate. Since this is a mantis ship, with a teleporter, disable your o2 and vent empty chambers. You don't NEED to do this, but it certainly helps kill them faster.

Step 2: Mantis teleport in. Pull all power from o2 if you haven't already, open all doors creating as many paths as possible to the o2 chamber from the vacuum. This may involve relocating units - so be it, you have mantis boarders, you have to deal with them first. The boarders will stop attacking the o2 as soon as the room goes vacuum, and Mantis can NOT deal enough damage to destroy a system before that happens (although they can get amazingly close and make it susceptible to any attacks that get through, missiles would have destroyed it anyway and it will be fully restored the moment they leave the room unless that happens.

Step 3: As soon as their room goes vacuum, immediately close all the doors. They will start trying to fight their way out of the room - if they are trying to fight their way into another room that isn't vacuumed yet, vacuum it. The exception here is the medbay : a level 2 medbay should allow guaranteed success versus even full life mantis with a human and engi, and a level 1 with 2 engi should even be able to take out the now injured mantis without any problems. If you need to, retreat your other unit to the pilots seat - he can help keep that functional and continue giving a chance to evade missiles, though you will surely eat a few.

Cautionary Step: If you see a missile about to hit your door controls, VENT EVERYTHING BUT PILOT SEAT AND MEDBAY. Especially with the nanorepair, just keeping those two rooms functional and with a bit of o2 will be more than enough to fix whatever is broken after the fight.

Step 4: Close doors, begin re-oxygenating the ship unless they have more boarders to send over. If that's the case, close all doors and leave Oxygen off. There's a high chance of them hitting a vacuum room or, if not, being able to vent their room much quicker.

Cautionary Step: Do NOT attempt to make repairs to any system except drones, weapons, pilot seat and engine, and only if the rooms have oxygen and your units have full health. If it looks like you can win, prioritize drones and weapons and ignore engine. If it looks like things have gone south and you need to pull out, prioritize engine and ignore drones and weapons.

Do all that and you should have been fine. I mean, lucky missile shots (like 2 strong missiles to the medbay your engi are in) can still screw you over, but it's vanishingly unlikely.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45:11 am »

Getting one or more basic defense drones is pretty much mandatory for survival, unless you're going for a cloak build (or have the weapon preigniter, and enough firepower to disable the enemy's weapons in a single volley). Don't bother with the more advanced drones, as they'll just end up wasting shots on lasers and missing incoming missiles. You're completely at the mercy of the chaos god RNG if you let missiles hit your ship willy nilly, and blocking them should be the main priority early on.

Putting out fires is really easy. Just open an airlock along a path to starve the room of oxygen, and once it's out, open all of the internal doors to let it refill quickly. A level two medbay can heal your crew faster than lack of oxygen kills them, so it's worth grabbing just in case things go horribly wrong.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: January 21, 2013, 01:14:05 pm »

Finally won.  Used a type B Kestrel, with three burst lasers and a heavy laser, upgraded engines, and four mantis boarders.  Took barely any damage throughtout the fight.

Also, how do you get the mantis ship?  I had a mantis on my ship, destroyed their weapons and shields with a first strike, and then killed the crew.  I got a message that the guy was badly wounded, and he gave me the location of his cache, which had some kind of laser.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: January 21, 2013, 01:26:18 pm »

Lvl2 medbay and teleport are enough.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »

Yeah, you don't even need a Mantis on your ship. Pretty light requirements actually.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 243