Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373581 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2040 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:29 pm »

Yes, it does indeed work that way. Of course, you'd then be facing an AI final boss for the final two forms, but thems the breaks.

I actually just had my first "Enemy flagship in range, you lose" end. Didn't think my Ion Blast + Heavy Ion combo was going to work on the boss, so I spent my time looking for the store. I found it, but it didn't have another weapon. By the time I moved to intercept, I lost. Whoops.

Most annoying part is that that was the end of a very successful run with the Zoltan B, so now I've got this big ol' non-Victory right in the middle of my high score board. It's gonna be a bitch to move that one down the list...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: January 17, 2013, 03:52:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure that a boarder damaging a system actually does hull damage as well, in that case you actually could have killed that last guy, let the AI take over and self repair system and then just send your boarders back over to damage them again as they repaired for more damage. You'd have lost at least one crew as you did that last hull point of damage at the end to destroy it, but if it works as it does in my head, it should have been fine.

FUCK. Didn't even think of that. Of course, I was trying hard to avert the AI in the next two phases, so....

I honestly thought I had time to jump out, rearm and jump back in. Woulda worked too, if the fucker hadn't jumped away.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »

I've had to use the same strategy before to kill the boss with fire. I couldn't do direct hull damage, but switching to ai meant he would repeatedly fix the systems allowing them to break again.

system bombs have a low chance of fire, right? So you might not have even needed to lose a boarder. Though I don't know how you were planning on overcoming the supershield form. System bombs damage that?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »

I've had to use the same strategy before to kill the boss with fire. I couldn't do direct hull damage, but switching to ai meant he would repeatedly fix the systems allowing them to break again.

system bombs have a low chance of fire, right? So you might not have even needed to lose a boarder. Though I don't know how you were planning on overcoming the supershield form. System bombs damage that?
Yeah, small bombs do 2 damage to the supershield. I would have been out of ammo by that point though. My plan was to switch over to the hull laser with the later phases. Honestly, it just completely slipped my mind to make sure I had a weapon that could do hull damage. Won't make that mistake again.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: January 17, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »

Hmm.. even then, shouldn't you have been able to go where he was going to go and then wait for him? Or was he literally AT the base spot when you fought him?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: January 17, 2013, 04:22:16 pm »

Hmm.. even then, shouldn't you have been able to go where he was going to go and then wait for him? Or was he literally AT the base spot when you fought him?
He had 1 jump remaining. I jumped to where he was going, but that spot was considered "in range", so when he got there....game over.

But hey, I unlocked the Mantis B on that run, so it wasn't a total loss.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: January 17, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »

He had 1 jump remaining. I jumped to where he was going, but that spot was considered "in range", so when he got there....game over.

I've fought ships AT the base before. I honestly don't understand what happened. You get one battle if you're already at the target location when he reaches zero jumps, or at least that's how it's supposed to work and has worked every time for me.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: January 17, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

Man, I cant even complete the game on easy xD
Make love not war

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: January 18, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »

But hey, I unlocked the Mantis B on that run, so it wasn't a total loss.
Speaking of which I just beat my first Normal game with a Mantis B.  It's by far my favourite ship, and once you've got a decent boarding squad and a way to disable medbays they're very hard to stop.  By the end I was swimming in scrap in spite of the normal difficulty.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:51 pm »

I found my love of fire in this game. I get rich off killing everyone through asphyxiation, but it isn't very useful against the boos :(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: January 18, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »

I found my love of fire in this game. I get rich off killing everyone through asphyxiation, but it isn't very useful against the boos :(

Yeah this is one of those games where the boss breaks rules just to give you a challenge.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: January 18, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »

Fire is perfectly capable of killing the boss don't be silly. You can even kill autodrones with fire. Fire solves EVERYTHING.

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »

I beg to differ.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »

Does it bug anyone else that they call plasma lasers, and lasers beams?

It kind of bugs me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »

What makes you think that they're plasma?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 243