Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373591 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2025 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:11 pm »

Don't worry, it's just building your hopes up for failure.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:55 pm »

I WON! I WON I WON I WON!

On easy, true, but  hey - I WON! After only playing the game for... the majority of two days  :-[ To my excuse I rushed forward as fast as I could at the start, because hey, gotta warn the bosses 'bout them rebel dugout!

Man this game can be really annoying at times, and overtly boring at others, but when it's fun, it's fun! I tried a ton of things for the first time, including cloak [great], drones [great] and boarding parties [magnificent!].

If only my double-star boardmaster Rockman/Mantis duo hadn't gone with the wind when it turned out an enemy can actually jump even if two people are punching the captain in the face. That was so sad, I had a ton of really tense moments with these two - mostly because I hadn't used boarding before, beyond "send 2 humans, blow up enemy ship, welp". I'll be sure to do it a ton more now that I tried it. In the end I won with boring old lasers - one burst II, one burst III and a heavy laser mk I, I think. I like laser barrages in space games a lot more than missiles or bombs, for some reason.

I really would like to see a real naval fantasy FTL clone, Faster than the Pirates of the Carribean, in a sense. FTL is a bit limited in its scope.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »

ARRGGGGG! I can't stop forgetting to teleport my guys back before I destroy the ship!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 16, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »

Don't worry, it's just building your hopes up for failure.

Yeah, pretty much. There was one sector asteroid belts made it impossible to get the "no hazard" achievement, and I never got the kind of dakka I want a Preigniter to play with. Ended up in a Victory with a Burst II, Pike Beam and Breach Missile with an AntiShip Drone I to give me juuuust enough firepower to get through the shields when the boss had a defense drone. Didn't get my unlock, didn't break the high score list- about as fail as a Victory can be.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 16, 2013, 10:10:33 pm »

ARRGGGGG! I can't stop forgetting to teleport my guys back before I destroy the ship!

I did this THREE, count them THREE times a few rounds ago.

>_< I never should have bought that damn Pike Beam, especially with an IonBlast MKII that meant autofire was practically required. (Ion2 + FireBeam + Rock Boarders = WOOOH)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:21 pm »

Why are you destroying the ships at all? Shutdown their med bay (and weapon if needed), then stop firing...

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:44 pm »

Exactly. More salvage for intact ships.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:42 am »

I did this THREE, count them THREE times a few rounds ago.

>_< I never should have bought that damn Pike Beam, especially with an IonBlast MKII that meant autofire was practically required. (Ion2 + FireBeam + Rock Boarders = WOOOH)

Have you tried the new selective autofire feature that was added in the last patch? It appears perfectly suited to prevent tragedies such as this.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:42 am »

WHAT!? I've been wanting that forever! Please, tell me more!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 17, 2013, 01:27:03 am »

I believe you hold either Shift or Ctrl while selecting which weapons you want to auto-fire. It was added in a recent patch, along with cloak automatically cooling down after a battle ends (much like the teleporter).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: January 17, 2013, 07:47:52 am »

The battles in FTL.... something like that would have been better for Prospector than the system in place.  I didn't really like the way space battles worked in it. FTL does it much better! I couldn't even figure out the space battles in Prospector half the time! Sadly, I dunno if we'll ever even see another Prospector update. It might be a dead project. I'm not sure why no one else wants to take over. It has lots of potential. Isn't it open source?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:21 pm »

What does everyone think about grinding your crew's stats? Like if you get lucky and find a guy who can't penetrate your shields, so you just let your guys max out shield skill.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »

Boring and not much of a point to it. But I still do it occasionally, everyone can use a break. :P And I disabled "pause on close window" for just such an occasion.

On another note, I am pretty sure I've "beaten" Infinite space.

60+ damage over the course of a single cloak will do that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 17, 2013, 02:48:53 pm »

This game continues to taunt me. After several false starts, made a hella sweet run with my Mantis Type A. Wound up at the big boss with a crack boarding team of 4 Mantises, and four Engis to run the shipboard systems and repair things. 1 Defense I drone, two Small Bombs and a Healing Burst bomb, which allowed to quickly board and overrun any vessel and keep my boarding parties in the fight.

Got to the final boss, quickly disabled all but the laser weapon, and killed off all the crew except for that one guy. YES!!

Then realized I had no way to do hull damage. I had already destroyed every onboard system, and still needed another ten points or so. GODDAMIT.

Wait, I have a Heavy Laser II in my hold! I'll jump away, swap weapons and come back. Even if it's fully repaired, I can take it! Jump away, kill rebel, swap weapons, Flagship has already started moving to next star. Jump there to intercept it.....

Rebel flagship is in range of base. GAME OVER.

NRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!$#!%#!%$%@%

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure that a boarder damaging a system actually does hull damage as well, in that case you actually could have killed that last guy, let the AI take over and self repair system and then just send your boarders back over to damage them again as they repaired for more damage. You'd have lost at least one crew as you did that last hull point of damage at the end to destroy it, but if it works as it does in my head, it should have been fine.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 243