Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373617 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1950 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:20 am »

It's a matter of playstyle and tactics, really.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »

Welp, another loss with the federation cruiser.

How the bloody hell can people like this ship? The artillery beam is so freaking terrible, and completely precludes getting something useful like the cloak. :(
Max out the artillery beam as soon as possible, like Euld says. It'll fire almost as often as the glaive beam, and you won't have to worry about shields getting in the way. After that, it's all about tanking. Max out the shields, get a defense drone or two to take care of missiles, boost your evasion if you can, and you're nearly invulnerable. If you can fit additional weapons to complement the arty beam, you'll just win faster.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 10, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »

Artillery beam isn't enough to take down the supershield of the final boss. And it's so freaking expensive.

On another, Capt.Wrex has led me to another victory, with the Stealth Ship this time. Extremely underpowered, weapon wise (Burst Laser 1, Double Laser, Minibeam meant I could only deal damage on an "everything hits turn") but I eventually wore the mother down.

Woot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 10, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »

Anything is strong enough to take down the supershield, what are you talking about :|
Just shoot it with the burst laser you start with, if you want.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: January 10, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »

You're doing it wrong if you're relying solely on the Artillery Beam to take down the final boss and his super shield.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

The engi ship...Why ever use it? As far as I can see it has fewer equipment slots, bad airlock positioning, and basically no advantage over other ships.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 10, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »

Starts with drones and an Ion Blast. Drones and Ion Blast are crazy useful. Thus, people use it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 10, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »

My 3rd victory was with Torus and I wasn't even trying :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »

It also has more drone slots than most other ships.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 10, 2013, 04:06:06 pm »

Anything is strong enough to take down the supershield, what are you talking about :|
I see you are unfamiliar with Boss Form Three. The supershield recharges.

You're doing it wrong if you're relying solely on the Artillery Beam to take down the final boss and his super shield.
I had to sell my weapon a bit into the game to afford repairs+fuel after a surprisingly nasty drone battle (I mean, it's not like it was useful against anyone I was fighting, since it couldn't pierce their shields and I was winning through beam+boarding most battles no problem).

I did not expect to never ever encounter a single other weapon or offensive drone for sale throughout the entire remaining course of the game. I did not expect the artillery beam to be so incredibly terrible against super shield.

I just... don't get it. The beam is slow, has weak damage output, it can penetrate shields but hell that's not exactly a big whoop, missiles/bombs can do that way more effectively, and it so freaking expensive. You can get a glaive beam+bomb launcher active and working for half the price of a fully upgraded artillery beam, to much greater effect. It's not worth combining it with existing weaponry, since it's pitiful damage output/slowness means you'll likely get a couple of points of damage in before the enemy ship destroying. It's clearly not something you can rely upon on it's own. You guys suggest "turtling" with it, but it seriously gimps your defensive ability by filling the cloak slot.

I just don't understand how it's appealing in the slightest. o_o

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: January 10, 2013, 04:17:48 pm »

I see you are unfamiliar with Boss Form Three. The supershield recharges.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 10, 2013, 04:19:21 pm »

The Artillery beam cannot be blocked by a singular defensive drone like missiles, it never misses like a bomb or missile, it doesn't run on ammo like missiles or bombs, it never is blocked by a normal shield like a normal laser, and it can cut across entire ships. The singular thing protecting anybody from it is a Super Shield, and you only find that on Zoltan ships or the boss. And the Super Shield is finite.

Obviously, there are tradeoffs like any nice things. That still doesn't make it useless. It just requires a different approach to the game.

And it indeed can be relied to destroy something by itself, providing the enemy cannot damage you. Which is definitely possible. But it without a doubt is more a support weapon.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:21:29 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: January 10, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

Why, for the love of all that is holy, is there not a first person roguelike co-op version of a game like this with a commander role?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 10, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »

Why, for the love of all that is holy, is there not a first person roguelike co-op version of a game like this with a commander role?
Closest i would say to that would be Corneroids which is Minecraft in space, you can build a spaceship ground up and design it however you like, they just threw in multiplayer.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: January 10, 2013, 04:59:51 pm »

It also has more drone slots than most other ships.

huh, 3 didn't seem like a lot to me. 4 would of been nice.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 243