Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373619 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »

Oh my gawd a ghost ship where are the Space Busters when you need them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 09, 2013, 06:39:20 pm »

What, no Artemis? Also lol

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: January 09, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

I sold the Artemis to afford repairing the hull. :P

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »

Just got done with a Torus playthrough. Everything up to the boss. Just fine. I was NEVER in a danger of dying, although I did run out of fuel once. I had to run away from a couple of 4 shield enemies, mostly because I just couldn't put out enough damage to get through their shields. (Absolutely no missile or offensive bomb weapons the entire game.)  I got to the boss. Sat there for a while, getting pounded on, and never got it down below 1 shield being up. Ran away, got repaired, said "screw it. I did my part in warning them, I'm out of here." and quit that playthrough. Unsatisfying, to say the least. It was fun just kind of plowing through everything up till then and by the end, nothing but missiles and bombs were a threat, and even they weren't a real threat as I could generally get them ioned pretty quickly. But those 4 shields and crazy dodge of the boss just shrugged me off.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 09, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »

Wow....So if your boarding drone lands in a room unattached to any other rooms, it's stuck there forever. You can't make a new one, you can't destroy it, and you can't control where it goes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

Torus is pretty easy. My favorite is a weapon-focused Rock Cruiser run. All the dakka is the best dakka.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: January 09, 2013, 08:58:42 pm »

Just had a win with the Torus. Third try, second win, normal this time. (Second try I gave up in the first sector)

Only ever got two levels of shield and 4 points in engine, I was surprised at how little damage I took from the final boss. 3 offensive drones + ion II + a heavy laser deals a lot of damage awful quick once you knock down those shields...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:34 am »

First win with the basic Kestral! New high score, too, thanks to triple digits in the "Beacons Explored" column and a fortuitous Scrap Recovery Arm.

Spoiler: Huzzah! (click to show/hide)

Weirdly, after breezing through Phases 1 and 2 with all of 3 damage taken, I took almost half my hull in damage and lost two crewmen on Phase 3. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but it involved fire and repeated explosions in my O2 room. Now I've got to beat it with the Torus, the Rock Cruiser, and all the B sides I haven't unlocked yet. And the Zoltan Cruiser, if I ever unlock the damn thing- never even saw a Zoltan Homeworld in my last three runs!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:14 am »

the zoltan cruiser is really nice.  Overshields are incredibly sexy early on.
Nom nom nom

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 10, 2013, 03:20:42 am »

Yeah. Might be slightly unwieldy at first (underdeveloped reactor + 3 Zoltans whom you have to move around) but if you're good with power shuffling, Zoltan's are one of best ships in the game.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 10, 2013, 03:49:52 am »

Indeed. The Zoltan A is the only ship I've won the game on so far.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:12 am »

If you get a crew of mostly zoltans and maybe two mantis for fighting boarders, you can afford to basically power everything you want. I usually end up having a mantis pilot at that point and shove the extra zoltans into my shield/weapons room. Free's up space for boarding drones (which are fantastic fun, even if a bit underpowered, work brilliantly if you're disabling their o2 with ion though, speeds up the air drain)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:09 am »

Welp, another loss with the federation cruiser.

How the bloody hell can people like this ship? The artillery beam is so freaking terrible, and completely precludes getting something useful like the cloak. :(

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06:24 am »

I max the artillery beam as soon as possible and max defensive capabilities (shields, anti-missile drones), that's what worked for me.  And getting missiles and boarders, that helped too. 

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: January 10, 2013, 10:20:16 am »

Welp, another loss with the federation cruiser.

How the bloody hell can people like this ship? The artillery beam is so freaking terrible, and completely precludes getting something useful like the cloak. :(

Ha. Federation Cruiser is so much better than Stealth B.

To prove it I put you on one.

You made it to sector three before we ran into our first drone.. which killed us.

The problem with stealth B is that if you don't knock out their weapons with your first beam, you take damage. If any of that damage hits weapon controls, you are basically finished. For the record I saw two shops on my play through, both had shield kits but since I couldn't destroy a scout in time, I didn't really get a chance to explore the zones. Hence 99 scrap at the start of Zone 3. The only thing I upgraded was doors, since boarders kept getting the best of me.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 243