Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373631 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1905 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »

Oh god, on the first run I did after getting the game, I ran into the crystal ship quest. I picked the weapon. Neh.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »

Yes, yes, it is amazing. The Stealth A is a bit difficult, but the Stealth B and it's starting glaive beam is just glorious.

It's how I pulled off the no-shield win, because bloody hell, you just don't need one for the first few sectors (assuming you avoid asteroid fields).

And Tarran, I've tried it a number of times, finally beat the game with the B version, but by god it was the most painful ship I've flown. I hate pretty much everything about it. It's just... terrible.

Only ship I never beat the game with (with at least one variant) was the Slug ship... because I could never fucking unlock it. Damned RNG! Why no slug!?

Which means I have no idea how good it is or not.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: January 07, 2013, 05:46:46 pm »

Oh god, on the first run I did after getting the game, I ran into the crystal ship quest. I picked the weapon. Neh.
Much more complex than simply get the pod. I got it fairly easily, but it's luck. On the other hand, never get past the phase 2.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 07, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »

Well, out of my 49 games, it currently occupies the 4th high score slot, beneath the Kestrel, Engi, and Zoltan ships, and above another Kestrel run, so I don't have any problems with it. Pretty sure that run also got to the endboss.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: January 07, 2013, 06:08:42 pm »

Unless you beat the endboss, it doesn't count. :P

It's actually pretty weird, I've got no clue how scores are calculated. All my many wins, and my best scores are still games where I /failed/ to beat the endboss. Is crazy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:48 pm »

I think my best score is 79??
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: January 07, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »

Unless you beat the endboss, it doesn't count. :P
To you, maybe not.

To me with only 1 win (sob), it does.

It's actually pretty weird, I've got no clue how scores are calculated. All my many wins, and my best scores are still games where I /failed/ to beat the endboss. Is crazy.
Maybe it's calculated by your possessions, or by what you achieved.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »

Maybe it's calculated by your possessions, or by what you achieved.

There's a simple formula for it. It counts the number of beacons visited, ships destroyed, and scrap collected, I believe.

I think it's 10 * becaons + 20 * ships destroyed + scrap. Then if you're on normal everything gets a 25% boost.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:09 pm »

Aaaah, that makes sense. I think my top score was the game where I dicked around trying to see how long I could survive against the rebel fleet in sector before last.

Didn't leave me in good shape, but must have been worth a ton of points.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »

I gave the infinite space mod a try today (after looking up the link again in this thread... the official forums seriously need organization). Didn't have long to actually play around with it, but from what I can tell, it's EXACTLY what I want to make this game better... I am curious if you can actually unlock ships with it installed, but a couple of sectors in with the Red Tail and I'm having a blast!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »

More to the point, I wish the game would let ME in on the flagship's weakness that I just told the Federation about.
My favourite explanation is that the flagship controls all the unmanned ships remotely, hence all the droid stuff they activate in the second form.  Taking that down would help a lot considering there are unmanned ships which are legitimately tougher than the flagship.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:14 pm »

My explanation is that you know the exact phase frequency of the flagships shields, reducing it from a shield 8 to a shield 4 ship.

Of course that is completely unsupported, but does make a bit of sense that it would have stronger shields then the regular ships you run into.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: January 07, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »

It can recharge the FTL burst recharge only zoltan shield in the middle of battle.

Say what you will, but the Rebels must be scientific geniuses.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:24 pm »

Woo. After running through on easy many times and dying horribly, I juuuust manged to squeak out a victory with the Kestrel, in addition to completing two of the Kestrel's achievements. After having my best attempt reach Phase 2, I was more than a little surprised to find out it's a three phase fight.

Then I decided to give the Fed Cruiser a whirl on normal. I went for both achievements and killed an enemy with the artillery beam, maxed it, and didn't upgrade weapons until after sector 5 (to be fair, I never really FOUND weapons until then).

Somehow, I beat him again. It... wasn't even a contest. I just... annihilated him. I really have no idea how I did it. I really don't.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: January 08, 2013, 12:00:45 am »

Reminds me of my first two wins. First time was with the Engi cruiser, and by the skin of my teeth. The second time was with the Fed cruiser and maxed-out artillery beam. Had over 75% hull when Phase 3 ended.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 243