Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373698 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1800 on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:22 pm »

Unless your intent is to ion systems other than the shields, which I DO do sometimes, especially with the heavy-ion.

Laser to get down shields, and then a heavy ion blast to their weapons area.

Each shield eats 2 points of ion, but each laser takes out a point of shield. So sometimes it's more efficient to use the lasers on the shield and the ion on the systems.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »

I really really wish you could set the delay on auto fire weapons. It is so much more comfortable to have all the same weapons right now, simply because then you can turn them on and cause max damage to shields.

When I get weapons that fire at different speeds or beam weapons I end up turning off autofire and pausing the game constantly.

In general I avoid beam weapons for this reason.

You can combine both autofire and manual fire for best effect.

1. Keep auto fire on.
2. When starting a fight, place a target for ion weapons, which fires very fast (ion blast 1 is every 4 seconds).
3. Keep your other weapons without a target. Wait for all of them to charge up.
4. After you saw your ion cannon hits, pause.
5. Place a target for all your other weapons. Unpause and let them to fire.
6. Hit the shortcut keys for all non-ion weapons. Their current targets will be removed. Right-click to dismiss the last one.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: October 31, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

Agree, I combine that with "leave the slowest recharge weapon(s) in the alpha strike on auto-fire" (as long as they're OK to fire first, as part of the shield busting for example) and use the sound of them firing to fire the rest.  It's a nice signal that it's time to fire, so I don't waste precious seconds of recharge time :D

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: October 31, 2012, 09:39:14 am »

I won for the first time in easy mode! :D

Spoiler: Boss is down! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Victory screen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Score (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How I got there (click to show/hide)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »

I really really wish you could set the delay on auto fire weapons. It is so much more comfortable to have all the same weapons right now, simply because then you can turn them on and cause max damage to shields.

When I get weapons that fire at different speeds or beam weapons I end up turning off autofire and pausing the game constantly.

In general I avoid beam weapons for this reason.

You can combine both autofire and manual fire for best effect.

1. Keep auto fire on.
2. When starting a fight, place a target for ion weapons, which fires very fast (ion blast 1 is every 4 seconds).
3. Keep your other weapons without a target. Wait for all of them to charge up.
4. After you saw your ion cannon hits, pause.
5. Place a target for all your other weapons. Unpause and let them to fire.
6. Hit the shortcut keys for all non-ion weapons. Their current targets will be removed. Right-click to dismiss the last one.

This is exactly what I do, I just wish I could automate it some how. Right click on the weapon and say "Delay fire x seconds." Another good one would be "hold fire" so you don't waste half your lasers to the enemy cloaking.

I had a crazy play through with the slug cruiser last night (the first time I had used that ship). Right off the bat I had people joining my crew. I think I dismissed 6 crew members just because I was out of space!

But for all the crew and all the scrap I could not get my hands on a damn laser! In the end I had the starting bio beam and dual laser. I also had a breach bomb and an ion blast. I finally managed to get an anti ship drone mk 1. I ran out of breach bombs so quick... after that I could literally do exactly 4 points of shield damage and ONLY in this specific order:

Teleport boarders to enemy mother ship right before it cloaks
Wait for the drone to be .5 seconds from shooting
Fire ion blast, wait .25 seconds
Fire dual lasers
At this point if you are EXTREMELY lucky the enemy ships has no shields AND two enemy crew members are running to the med bay.
Fire bio beam at the two on the move.

I got the ship down to 1 crew in the first stage, but ended up way overwhelmed in the second.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: October 31, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »

You managed to win without cloaking or boarding. Congrats, I suppose. Both are extremely usefull though. Boarding allows you to take out the zeapons, cloak allows you to circumvene special attacks.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: October 31, 2012, 06:16:31 pm »

You managed to win without cloaking or boarding. Congrats, I suppose. Both are extremely usefull though. Boarding allows you to take out the zeapons, cloak allows you to circumvene special attacks.

I won three times without those on NORMAL and you didn't even notice D:<

* Haspen fake dramas, etc.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: October 31, 2012, 08:20:42 pm »

Yes, boarding is very powerful indeed. When I started playing FTL I always failed to get a teleport installed because I never found one or was out of scraps. Then I finally found one, and with two mantises too, and I was swimming in scrap.

In that game I just won, I did find teleport for sale... but auto-reloader too. I only had enough scraps for one of them.

I already unlocked the stealth ship, but never tried it... no shield is rather risky.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 01, 2012, 11:28:50 am »

looks like I'm gonna have to re download FTL. The modloader has well and truly buggered it up.

any way to save the... saves?

I think saves are automatically backed up to steam, if you are using that.

If not... I am not sure. I went looking for them once and couldn't find them. That being said, generally games keep the save data even if you uninstall the game.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 01, 2012, 11:43:32 am »

looks like I'm gonna have to re download FTL. The modloader has well and truly buggered it up.

Learn this, once and for all:

Programs no longer put their executable files together with the data. It makes backup and reinstall messy. That way OS can also set different access rights to protect the program files from being modified (i.e. being hacked) while letting the data to be written.

So on Windows, your program files are by default in \Program Files or \Program Files (x86), the later only appears on 64-bit systems for storing 32-bit applications.

Your data are placed under a special folder.

Start | Run. Enter "Cmd". Type "SET USER" and press Enter.

The displayed lines are environment variables. The root directory of your data files on Win7 is defined in the USERPROFILE variable. Older Windows use different variables, but look in both SET USER and SET HOME and you will find them.

Now the data files are organized in some ways in subfolders. Everyone has a different idea on how the data should be sorted (including Microsoft which published a recommendation long ago, but of course not everyone conforms to it), but there are several common folders used.

\My Documents\
\My Documents\My Games
\Saved Games\

Look under your data folder and you will find them. No need to ask for each game you own.

FTL save and highscore file can be found easily... I'll leave that as a practice.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:41 pm »

Spoiler: ^^ (click to show/hide)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:24 am »

Learn this, once and for all:

Programs no longer put their executable files together with the data. It makes backup and reinstall messy. That way OS can also set different access rights to protect the program files from being modified (i.e. being hacked) while letting the data to be written.

So on Windows, your program files are by default in \Program Files or \Program Files (x86), the later only appears on 64-bit systems for storing 32-bit applications.

Your data are placed under a special folder.

Start | Run. Enter "Cmd". Type "SET USER" and press Enter.

The displayed lines are environment variables. The root directory of your data files on Win7 is defined in the USERPROFILE variable. Older Windows use different variables, but look in both SET USER and SET HOME and you will find them.

Now the data files are organized in some ways in subfolders. Everyone has a different idea on how the data should be sorted (including Microsoft which published a recommendation long ago, but of course not everyone conforms to it), but there are several common folders used.

\My Documents\
\My Documents\My Games
\Saved Games\

Look under your data folder and you will find them. No need to ask for each game you own.

FTL save and highscore file can be found easily... I'll leave that as a practice.
Except that that isn't true for what is the majority of games.
Now does happen to be true for FTL, but the vast majority of steam games keep things somewhere (and it does vary by game a little) in the steam folder.

It may be proper to place the user data in the my documents folder, but most games don't do it, and the ones that do often place it in radically different places.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 02, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »

This game is HARD!
Even on easy!
After failing several times I tried to do a pacifist run instead.
That failed as well..

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 02, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

This game is HARD!
Even on easy!
After failing several times I tried to do a pacifist run instead.
That failed as well..
No such thing. If you can't deal damage, you can't defeat the final boss. There are also sometimes enemies that disable your engines, preventing you from escaping.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 02, 2012, 08:24:22 pm »

Pacifist run is just up to sector 5.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 243