Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373699 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1770 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:42 am »

Daaamn :I

You had bad luck with hits/evasion, started the fight with low health? Your ship weapons/systems look quite nicely for boss fight, I think?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:12 am »

Started it with about 50% hull I think. I thought I was bringing a ship repair drone, but actually had a system repair drone, which would have helped a whole lot.

Whatever weapon it had at the end there managed to keep my shields down a whole lot, which was the biggest issue. Missiles and boarders didn't help either. Unlucky hits on the drone and weapon control knocked out a laser and the drone. In hindsight 2 anti ship drone mk1's would probably have worked better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:25:11 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:13 am »

Yeah, I used 2 anti-ship mkI's last run and they work better than single mkII, if you ask me.

That, and timed weapon spam works wonders if you need to knock shields. Autofire is only fine if you know you will win. Not so much when fighting Flagship ;v
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 21, 2012, 06:00:09 am »

You know those runs where you fall behind and repeatedly get beat up?  I just won one of those.  I was in the stealth ship, with three female crew members who each had a "pet" Engi (the three female crew was on purpose, the engi thing just happened).  We got shields a little late and were low on fuel and health when we did, and never really recovered; past the 3rd sector, we never went above 10 fuel.  Our systems a decent shape, we focused on gaining weapons, but we never found any good ones.  The only weapon shop we ever found sold a hull laser and an heavy ion; I bought the heavy ion despite it being basically the worst weapon in the entire game, I was that desperate.

Near the 6th system exit, we were ambushed by a heavily armed rebel ship.  Both ships pounded each other in a brutal fight, until we found ourselves without cloak and the enemy charging a halberd beam.  We couldn't do enough damage to kill them and dodging was out of the question.  We fired a last volley in defiance... and they surrendered, giving us a small bomb.  Then while repairs were underway on our ship, their's exploded from fires in the shield room.

At that point we were doing... ok, but we had nothing but the starting weapons and a small bomb.  The plan was to keep upgrading the defensive systems while holding some scrap on hand to get better weapons at a shop that sold some.  We found a shop in the seventh sector, right before the exit.  They had no weapons for sale.  Resigned, we blew our weapons fund on a drone bay and a single mk 1 anti ship drone.

The Chick Flick entered the Last Stand with a mini-beam, a double laser, a small bomb launcher, and a mk 1 attack drone.  We had no crew teleporter; the above was the complete extent of our offensive abilities.  The scrap from one last blasted rebel ship let us upgrade to a third shield layer, and then we were off to face the giant rebel flagship with with our dinky weapons.  The fight was surprisingly uneventful for the first two engagements; we routed all power to defensive systems until their shields suffered two bomb hits, then used the double laser to keep the shields down and switched on our other weapons systems to carve them up.

Then, we got to the final fight.  The pilot and gunner needed to stay on their posts, so the crew we used to repel boarders was mostly engis, and on top of that we had to reserve our cloak for the superweapon and take missile hits.  An early hit to the door systems went ignored while the crew cycled between the medbay and repelling boarders.  This came back to bite us when the entire center of the ship caught fire.  We brought the door systems online and took out their missiles, but not before Charlie the Engi was taken out when the massive brawl in the engine room got hit by a missile.  The Chick Flick was heavily damaged, on fire, and Natalie lost her Engi friend, but by god we were victorious when we should have been dust six sectors ago.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 22, 2012, 05:05:37 am »

Version 1.02 has just been released on GoG but I can't find anything about it. Anyone have an idea what's it about?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 22, 2012, 07:15:59 am »

Version 1.02 has just been released on GoG but I can't find anything about it. Anyone have an idea what's it about?
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2707
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: October 22, 2012, 07:18:09 am »

Yeah, I used 2 anti-ship mkI's last run and they work better than single mkII, if you ask me.

That, and timed weapon spam works wonders if you need to knock shields. Autofire is only fine if you know you will win. Not so much when fighting Flagship ;v

Of course, I've also discovered that two MKIIs work better than 2 MKIs. ;)

But the real reason to use the MKII is that you need that second drone slot to shoot down incoming missile.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:17 am »

First I would need to find enough scrap or actually bother to get 8 bits of drone control.

And then, of course, I would need the drones themselves.
SigFlags!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 22, 2012, 07:49:07 am »

well MKII attack and MKII defense still only takes 4 bit of energy if you're using your drones responsible.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:58 am »

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2707

Whoops. Guess I haven't logged in on GoG for a while. Thanks :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:02 am »

There's like 3 different versions of the game you could have bought with windows, you're really gonna have to be more specific, as they all get dropped in a different place.

I assume it's not the normal version though - in that case, the files are wherever you saved them to, and you wouldn't be having an issue.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 22, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »

If it's on steam it should be in the generic steam\steamapps\common\<game> directory. I have tons of games on Steam and have yet to see one that installs outside of the steam folder itself.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 22, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »

Yeah, the steam version is actually the one version I can't help you with.

Everything I've heard places it in the FTL folder under steamapps though.

Maybe just do a directory search for FTL?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: October 22, 2012, 02:19:26 pm »

EDIT: welp, the mod I want relies on groknak's modloader.

'select the mods you want installing and press ok!'
...there is no ok...
I believe you're supposed to select "patch" instead.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 243