Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373710 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1755 on: October 18, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

Note: I'm pretty he does, in fact, cloak like a dick, waiting until you fire at him to do so. If you have dudes on board, /don't fire at him/. (At least not if he has a charged cloak.)

Anyway, that all seems remarkably unlikely, gotta be honest. You said you could take out his weapons, so what's the issue? You have infinite time to take of things after that (on the first form), you just gotta take it easy. Here's an easy and safe strategy:

Knock down his shields, take down his door room. Now send boarders to that room. Fight enemies. If your dudes might die due to cloaking sillyness, just run them around the ship until you can zap them back. If you're doing fairly well, send in new boarders to the door room instead and have the other guys run around leading the crew on a merry chase until you can get them back. Wait for enemies to go to medroom when damaged - blow up medroom, killing current enemy occupants. Move boarders to medroom asap to prevent enemy from repairing it.

Plan takes one missile/bomb if you can take down enemy shields with standard weapons, and 2 missiles/bombs if you can't. If you have rockmen or mantis (or both), your boarders should face literally zero risk in eliminating the entire enemy crew. (Although you should leave the last guy alive)

Also - Have you gotten the crystal ship yet? Crystal crew makes boarding easy as pie, since you don't have to worry about medbay or reinforcements or any of that crap that I just discussed how to deal with. Board 4 space room, CRYSTAL when an enemy enters. Crystal is wearing down? SECOND CRYSTAL. Wearing down again? Let it, get another guy or two in the room, SEND MORE BOARDERS, CRYSTAL AGAIN. Teleport out when finished or, if you're doing decently, the first crystal should be recharged, so repeat.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: October 18, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

Run your boarders INTO a destroyed medbay - that way they have to fight you instead of repairing it.  I do that a lot boarding regular ships, not so much on the boss though.  By then I have always had enough firepower to get through, even though once or twice it took a while. 

If you're missing a lot, another good place to destroy is the bridge - I often open up the battle by boarding onto the bridge, that keeps the pilot busy and really seems to help more of the first volleys get through...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: October 18, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »

Who are considered the better boarders? Mantis-men or Rock-men?
I've always tried to go with the Mantis due to their speed and superior DPS which can catch some crew members before they can reach the med-bay.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: October 18, 2012, 12:49:13 pm »

Kind of depends. Rockmen are better if you're setting the enemy ship on fire, since they're immune to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: October 18, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »

Who are considered the better boarders? Mantis-men or Rock-men?
I've always tried to go with the Mantis due to their speed and superior DPS which can catch some crew members before they can reach the med-bay.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: October 18, 2012, 12:57:24 pm »

Which is why you attack and hole a 2-square room like the door control room first, until you get your second wave of dudes in. Which you should have more than enough time to do before they fix the medbay, even with a lv1 teleporter.

Also, my boarder rating list is:
Crystal -> Mantis -> Rock -> Human/Slug -> Engi -> Zoltan

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 18, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »

I like rocks the best, but Mantis are great too.  Heck, humans/slugs are definitely good enough for most jobs but you do want a L2 teleporter pretty soon so you can get them out of trouble without the silly Keystone Kops around the enemy ship micro.  I was even boarding with Engis when I couldn't find other races, you do have to watch em closely though.  It worked out fine using the ion gun to keep the weapons hammered down, it lets you take forever to do the beam em back, heal up, rinse, repeat.  In early sectors obviously, once they have 2 shields it gets iffy to keep the weapons down 100%.  OTOH if you REALLY want to do it cloak and/or defense drone lets you keep it up a while longer, plus something to damage the medbay if they've got one.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »

Which is why you attack and hole a 2-square room like the door control room first, until you get your second wave of dudes in. Which you should have more than enough time to do before they fix the medbay, even with a lv1 teleporter.

Also, my boarder rating list is:
Crystal -> Mantis -> Rock -> Human/Slug -> Engi -> Zoltan
Just to illustrate how good the Crystal is. I just managed to defeat the flagship on Normal, with 3 shields,2 tele and cloaking (Stealth ship). I had no offensive weaponry I could use (Twin laser + Halberd + Ion(the 1 power one)). All my attacks relied on teleporting and killing the crew. Had some problems with the second form, resulting in losing all but my dedicated crew and the crystal.(I forgot about the boarding drone, which immediatly killed the tele, which prevented me from stopping the missiles, which nearly killed the ship)

Having a dodge rate of 50 % helps

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1763 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:37 pm »

Crystals are definately good boarders, if only because they can kill enemies even on ships with a fully functional medbay by locking down a to prevent escape.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 18, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »

I haven't found the crystals yet ;_;  I like rockmen over mantis just because it gives me more time to react.  Even with constant pausing things can get hectic sometimes, and the fire-immunity is a nice buff.  On the downside, boarding takes longer, so I get shot more, so mantis are probably superior since I don't start many fires.  Meh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: October 20, 2012, 10:26:13 am »

After a long, loooong pause with FTL, I decided to play 'just one game for lulz', with Torus.

SUDDENLY VICTORY :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

USS Everest had lots of drones on it's way + discarded the ions early to buy heavy and burst lasers. I had def.drone mk2 but had to sell it for scrap so I could buy fuel. It was clumsy and cumbersome anyways.

Oh, and during the bossfight, I had autofire off. Timed laser spam to shields room caused breaches, fires and hilarity. First phase was a chore, thanks to the cloak. Boarding drone from second part didn't got far thanks to unlucky boarding point (upper airlock) and maxed out blast doors. Third phase was cakewalk.

My 3rd win with yet another different ship. Now I'm left with Vortex, Red-Tail, Nesasio and Fed.Cruiser to go :P I need to find moar ships... Oh right - which of those four ships I mentioned would be the 'easiest' to go through game? Red-Tail?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: October 20, 2012, 11:36:48 am »

Red tail is pretty great. I find I have an easier time with it than most other ships, though I've never tried the Nesasio.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 20, 2012, 05:03:46 pm »

I keep playing every now and then just to find the crystal ship. for that reason, I'll only use the Nesasio or upgraded stealth thingy, because they start with long range scanners, which makes finding the necessary nodes much easier.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:26 am »

Spoiler: ugh (click to show/hide)
Magma is overrated.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 21, 2012, 04:19:31 am »

Aw daaaaamn D:

That sucks, Pete.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 243