Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373749 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1665 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12:23 am »

Energy management is the most fun part of the game. Nothing like effectively running systems that require 10 more energy bars than you actually have. :P
I think it's a game design flaw really.  Shields and weapons have a penalty if you only power them up if you need them right now (shields take a while to come up, weapons need to be on to charge) but there seems to be no problem with turning on medbays, cloaks, teleporters and engines (although you probably want a little power in it to charge the FTL) when and only when you need them.  It's the same for defense drones.  O2 doesn't exactly fall into this category but you can turn it off for a pretty long time with no ill effects.

Basically it should take a little while for systems to "warm up" and become usable, like with shields.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 05, 2012, 10:20:14 am »

I... disagree. I don't see how it could be a flaw when it's so enjoyable.

Like Artemis, it's one of the most fun parts of the game imo, and likely completely intentional.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:47 am »

Hmm... I don't know if upgrading the medbay improves the nannies, honestly. It's been a while since I've seen them - I should probably do some more testing.

It doesn't. I gave it a try but there's no (noticeable) difference. Would've been great to allow a ship in a perpetual oxygen-less state :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:57 am »

It's not really... tactical though?  You just pause the game and juggle a bit.  If you had to think ahead for what you'd need in, say, 5 seconds there might be a tactical element added.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:42 am »

Its actually super cool how much stuff can blow each other up. ^_^
As for heavy lasers having a higher DPS... I don't buy it. With the shields up, they do 1 damage per shot and are blown away by burst lasers. With the shields down, they deal 2 damage per shot and are blown away by beams.

I suppose one could argue that they are a sort of happy medium? Not as much hull and system damage as beams, but can take out shields. Not as good at taking out shields as burst lasers, but does more ship.

I suppose they may have the highest DPS vs. single point targets without requiring ammo of the game's "common" weapons.
Yes, but the beams use up far more power.
A halberd beam uses up three power, while a heavy laser only uses up one, powers up twice as fast, and has a good chance of fire/breach.

If you run out of slots a heavy laser isn't very good (and thus sort of sucks on three shot ships), but if power is the primary concern (like it almost always is for me in four slot ships) and you can burst down the shields, then the heavy laser is awesome (although you probably only want one or maybe two on a single ship).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 05, 2012, 02:29:32 pm »

Hmm... I don't know if upgrading the medbay improves the nannies, honestly. It's been a while since I've seen them - I should probably do some more testing.

It doesn't. I gave it a try but there's no (noticeable) difference. Would've been great to allow a ship in a perpetual oxygen-less state :P

Assuming no ion storms, of course.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 05, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

Just had an idea, and ideas are made to share without thinking so here it goes. What if all weapons could be powered at diferent levels havin a max of say 5, and you have the ability to over or underpower each weapon individualy, all of them shoot the only thing that changes its the reload times, so a weapon that currently requires 3 power to shoot would have its normal reload at 3 power. It ovbiously would need a lot of balance but well..

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1672 on: October 05, 2012, 03:09:11 pm »

Energy management is the most fun part of the game. Nothing like effectively running systems that require 10 more energy bars than you actually have. :P
I think it's a game design flaw really.  Shields and weapons have a penalty if you only power them up if you need them right now (shields take a while to come up, weapons need to be on to charge) but there seems to be no problem with turning on medbays, cloaks, teleporters and engines (although you probably want a little power in it to charge the FTL) when and only when you need them.  It's the same for defense drones.  O2 doesn't exactly fall into this category but you can turn it off for a pretty long time with no ill effects.

Basically it should take a little while for systems to "warm up" and become usable, like with shields.

The teleporter and cloak lock up energy if you use them, so there is that. And you really don't want to have only 50% oxy left when someone lights a fire in your life support room.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 05, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

Well, I certainly don't mind when that happens. ;)

My o2 usually hands around 12-17%, even losing o2 usually isn't that big a deal, that's what I have a medbay for.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 05, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »

While doing my ''Manpower''-achievement run with the Zolton ship, I've unlocked the Zolton B layout, The Rockmen Ship and the Crystal Ship 0.o I just spent multiple days playing just trying to unlock either of them and when I go ''Meh, fuck it. Lets just unlock the B layouts for the ships that I have'', I unlock two ships and one layout on my first attempt 0.o

Thank you RNG!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1675 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:47 pm »

The only thing I have left to unlock is the crystal ship. I do have another half dozen or so achievements I have not completed, in total. But I have the b layouts for everything.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 05, 2012, 03:37:09 pm »

Man, I have so many ships to unlock still.  The problem with not reading spoilers is that I have to keep guessing.

I still need to unlock the crystal, mantis, slug and zoltan ships.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:01 pm »

Just the slug for me. Damn evasive slugs!

I did actually meet them, twice, but I answered wrong the first time required stuff I didn't have the second.

I always have the stuff all the other ships require, but not the slugs!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 05, 2012, 03:43:27 pm »

Just had an idea, and ideas are made to share without thinking so here it goes. What if all weapons could be powered at diferent levels havin a max of say 5, and you have the ability to over or underpower each weapon individualy, all of them shoot the only thing that changes its the reload times, so a weapon that currently requires 3 power to shoot would have its normal reload at 3 power. It ovbiously would need a lot of balance but well..
Would completely unbalance the game. Expert power jugglers, like GlyphGryph, could abuse that system to free up a lot of power and boost reload times. For example, it reduces the minimum power costs to keep all your weapons online(if at a horribly low reload rate, but that's not the point since you're going to use it to preserve reload progress) to 4, allowing you to boost your engines to max when needed; and when you're not dodging, you can spike your reload rate.

Just the slug for me. Damn evasive slugs!

I did actually meet them, twice, but I answered wrong the first time required stuff I didn't have the second.

I always have the stuff all the other ships require, but not the slugs!
Slug,mantis and crystal for me.

I don't think I ever met the slug one, and I always get the mantis thing to early in game.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1679 on: October 05, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »

I need to unlock, erm, everything :P

* The Darkling Wolf should really play more.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 243