Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373757 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1635 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »

Well SPAZ was in the last Humble Bundle so you've dicked up your chance to get it at Pay-what-you-want. There might be some people with some keys floating around so you could still trade/buy it cheap.
They both have their strengths and flaws but I would personally lean towards FTL simply because it's a much different experience from other games. SPAZ is like a open-world top-down space shooter which get can rather grindy at times.

Going back to the main topic what do people think of the massive jump in difficulty between the last zone and the rest of the game? Modern gaming has conditioned me to be eased more slowly into the tougher fights while in FTL I find myself wrecking all the zones until the final one promptly hands me my own arse. I tend I find it hard to gauge whether my build is good enough for the last sector.
80% of my ships by the last zone have defense drones, so missiles aren't a bother at all.
Its a combo of things, the 4/3 strength sheilds+good dodge+good weapons are pretty daunting for most ships.

But you can't really fight it like you fight the other zones unless you are really strong (either very significant laser burst damage or very heavy missiles/bombs, or very good boarders), what you usually want to do is just make a beeline for the boss, and don't fight the ships (by warping out as soon as you can if they start a fight and you can't handle it) unless you really need the scrap.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:24 pm »

Honestly, I think of it the other way around - for me, difficult peaks around section five, and then falls steadily from there on in. Mostly because that's the point where you start getting huge amounts of scrap from enemies and either developing versatility or really hammering down on your specialization.

Once I've made it to section 7 I usually feel like I've "made it", and everything from there on out is pretty much a formality.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »

80% of my ships by the last zone have defense drones, so missiles aren't a bother at all.
Its a combo of things, the 4/3 strength sheilds+good dodge+good weapons are pretty daunting for most ships.

But you can't really fight it like you fight the other zones unless you are really strong (either very significant laser burst damage or very heavy missiles/bombs, or very good boarders), what you usually want to do is just make a beeline for the boss, and don't fight the ships (by warping out as soon as you can if they start a fight and you can't handle it) unless you really need the scrap.
It's usually what I do but sometimes you get a stray missile in the engine or a boarding drone in there are you're forced into combat. I suppose the other disadvantage would be having the path still locked down by rebels if you're trying to flee from the boss mid-fight for a repair station. 

I guess it's like traditional Rogue-like design where the end game is trying to avoid as much conflict as possible and just completing your mission. Although I tend to prefer fighting rather than fleeing. If I spent all this time making a big ship I want to be able to shoot some stuff.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:26 pm »

Going to do a little challenge.
Holding back the Rebels.
I will be playing with this Ship
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Normal.
The goal is to reach Sector 7 and then when the Rebels control ALL of the Sector, I will try and survive as long as I can within their controlled space. The problems with this challenge are.

1: Limited ways to repair ship.
2: Limited to no ways to regain Missiles or Drone Parts.

Fuel will not be a problem considering that you always get 1 Fuel from a Rebel encounter.

Wish me luck...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 04, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »

You're gonna need plenty of luck for this :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

Yeah nearly died in the first sector. Rebels caught up to me and it was a 2 shield 3hp dmg Missile...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:41 pm »

Beat the Boss with the Torus, and unlocked Engi B. I suppose I should start playing on Normal difficulty.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:33 pm »

FUCK!!!! The enemy Ship must have been on fire... I just lost my Mantis and Weapon Guy as they tried to kill off the Crew... T_T

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 04, 2012, 11:47:26 pm »

Yup, that happens.

I'm a bit late to the party, but both Heavy Lasers (not just pierce) have some of the best DPS in the game; I recall it being somewhere in the .4 region, compared to .25 and .263 for Burst Lasers 2 and 3.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:59 am »

Yeah, if you have the slots and burst damage to get their shields down, it is a super excellent weapon, both dealing good damage and having a good chance of breaching/starting a fire.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1645 on: October 05, 2012, 01:47:17 am »

what the hell? does the crystal ship quest marker in the rock homeworlds just not spawn sometimes?

I got the pod. I got the crystal man. I got to the rock homeworlds. No marker. No blue option. Nothing.

If I am strong enough to ravage the rebel fleet, can I find the crystal ship by visiting every system in the rock homeworlds?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 05, 2012, 02:14:23 am »

Pretty sure the rebel ships "override" any of the quests, encounters or stores in the area.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 05, 2012, 02:18:01 am »

They do. I lost my chance at the stealth ship once thanks to the rebel fleet right behind me :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 05, 2012, 02:19:10 am »

Sometimes I think it would be easier to take on the whole rebel fleet instead of that damn flag ship.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 05, 2012, 04:11:29 am »

So I picked up this game earlier in the week. I love it. And maybe sometimes hate it a little, but it's mostly love.

I thought I was on my first successful run to a victory on normal. My Federation Cruiser was kitted out and armed to the teeth. I did have a mishap earlier with my all star mantis strike team. Unfortunately my pegasus missiles and artillery beam hit the ship my mantids were on at the same time, doing massive damage and destroying the ship before I could beam them back. Oops.

I found a boarding drone in the next system. It wasn't as awesome as my strike team, but it was doing well enough.

So I end up in a system with the jump paths going at the top and bottom of the system. The exit is in the middle at the back. I jump my way down and head towards the exit only to find out I could not jump to the exit from that path at all. I had to jump back through the rebel fleet almost back to the beginning of the system. Unfortunately after several well shielded and well armed rebel ships my own vessel was destroyed.

On another note, I have a question about missiles - can they be shot down by lasers if they cross their path? I could have sworn I saw an enemy missile blow up when I didn't have a defence drone.   
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 243