Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373807 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1515 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

Oh, yeah, I've had that event before.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »

Anyway, I learned something interesting today! If you meat a mantis who wants you ship, but then says "forget this" and tries to escape?
*Cough*

Also, yeah, that's a nice event chain.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:11 pm »

Yeah, that must be it.

Anyway, I learned something interesting today! If you meat a mantis who wants you ship, but then says "forget this" and tries to escape?

Let him.

You'll thank me later. ^_^

I actually tried to not let him, but he got away anyway.

Also, I want more event chains like that one. It's great.
Also often called Boowells.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 03, 2012, 01:09:43 am »

Woo! First victory with the Red Tail. It was on easy, and I got a teleporter in sector 6 and abused it heavily so I had mountains of scrap by the end. Burst Laser III + Burst Laser II + Ion Bomb pretty much did it. I also had a fire bomb but I never got much use out of it. Level three cloaks and shields and a defense drone took care of the rest.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 03, 2012, 03:55:58 am »

Just had an irritating stealth failure, managed to get to the boss and at the time I landed in the final sector I had 400 scrap. The last few sectors failing to sell me any useful weapons so I just kept accumulating.
This did mean I had max shields and engines of course but the only weaponry I had was an ion blast mk II, and the dual laser & mini beam you start with.

I figured that might be enough, but as it turns out the time between cloaking for the first stage of the boss is just enough so I can only remove the shields if almost every shot hit from both the ion blast and the dual laser and that the length of the cloak is enough for any ion damage to be gone and the shields to fully charge again.

The upshot of this was that although I was only rarely taking damage, what with the high shield level and my own cloak to avoid the missiles, I could only once do any damage to the boss, and that with my beam.
I targeted the shields of course (and the cockpit to try and minimise dodge) but of course the cloak was enough to both fix and recharge the shields so I was no better off.

This was the longest boss battle I'd had but slowly he wore me down with and my lovely ship fell apart. And until then I thought I was doing so well, just needed one shop with a decent weapon in it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48:36 am »

I learned that tue best kind of weapon for the boss is that of bombs. They have a high hit rate. Ion bombs knock half his shield down and a second knocks it out. Fire bombs are a great thing to drop into the medbay. They will try and get the fire out first and run at the moment their heaalth reachea a certain point even if the medbay would keep them up for a little longer. That and if you keep hitting the bay with fire the thing will eventually break and they will never repair ir cause th bay is full of fire...

Add a tele in at taking down each of the weapons rooms in order of missile ion beam. And the boss is a cake walk if you have at min 3 shields. 4 makes you invincible during the drone spam with high dodge as well...

Last time I took him down I had killed all the crew but the guy on the pewpew laser in th first stage and in the second he was only able to launch 1 boarding drone as I shut down the drone room with fire...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 03, 2012, 08:06:02 am »

The really useful thing about bombs with regards to the last boss is that they ignore defense drones.  Missiles have a very hard time getting a hit on that second form.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 03, 2012, 10:59:59 am »

Oh dear lord. Give a Man of War a crew teleporter and you have a flying death fort that murders enemy crew with complete and utter ease.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:39 am »

Finally beat stage two of the boss. It was also the first time I got there without lvl 4 shields and only 5 crew, which was what killed me at the end.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:15:19 am by Dutchling »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 03, 2012, 11:28:15 am »

Oh dear lord. Give a Man of War a crew teleporter and you have a flying death fort that murders enemy crew with complete and utter ease.
How's that? Slugs aren't exactly amazing when it comes to close-combat. I mean, sure the Bio Beam helps, but wouldn't that just hit your own dudes?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1525 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:39 am »

For starters, when enemy crew retreat to the medbay to heal, you can liquify them with the beam easily.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 03, 2012, 11:40:34 am »

...I didn't even think of that :P

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:20 am »

How's that? Slugs aren't exactly amazing when it comes to close-combat. I mean, sure the Bio Beam helps, but wouldn't that just hit your own dudes?
Of course, I never mentioned anything about sending your SLUGS to war.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:58 am »

Of course, I never mentioned anything about sending your SLUGS to war.
In my mind, it's a bad idea to come up with a strategy based on getting crew/equipment that you might never even see. It's possible that you spend scrap on a transporter room and never get anything other than more Slugs.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:01 am »

All decent teleporter strategies rely on you finding crew you might never see, don't they?
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 243