Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373841 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1425 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:03 pm »

How the hell do you guys even manage to finish the game? With that triple rocket launcher, triple ion blast and triple laser gun that flagship looks sure as hell impossible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Take out the rocket launcher first - it will wreak you shit.

edit: bah, Ninja'd.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

What's with you people and teleporters? :P

The game is easily winnable without teleporters but you make it sound like 'OMG USE TELEPORTER OR DIE HORRIBLY' :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 01, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »

Because people like getting extra scrap (and weapons and crew) during the game?

Seriously, if you're not using boarders to capture ships, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 01, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »

Oh, hah, no, I almost never use teleporters. But they are far and away the final boss's biggest weakness. Again, most because of the lack of a decent AI. I prefer the "overwhelming firepower" strategy myself, but teleporting is still the easiest.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »

The game is easily winnable without teleporters but you make it sound like 'OMG USE TELEPORTER OR DIE HORRIBLY' :P
Play with a ship designed for boarding, such as the mantis cruiser, slug cruiser B, or crystal cruiser B. You'll see how teleporters can be important.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 01, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

Even with good AI the ship layout would still screw over the final boss against boarders, since with the weapon guys dead it has no way to repair its most deadly weapons.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 01, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »

Play with a ship designed for boarding, such as the mantis cruiser, slug cruiser B, or crystal cruiser B. You'll see how teleporters can be important.

Hmm, gotta try and unlock one, then.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »

I actually consider the whole thing where you kill the crew while the rest of the ship is disabled to be an exploit, the ship should just warp away if it has no hope of killing you, or switch to its second mode on the spot.

Anyway, you certainly don't need a teleporter to win.  My best run yet was with the zoltan ship and a crew of 2 zoltan, a human, and 3 engies.  We couldn't have boarded anything even if we wanted to...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »

Actually, you DON'T want to kill the whole crew. Have you met the boss? That's... bad. It does enter a special mode.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

Because people like getting extra scrap (and weapons and crew) during the game?

Dunno for you, but at the end of 5/6 sector, I pretty much have everything maxed/bought what I want.

If I manage to survive to 5/6 sector, that's it.

Also...
23 runs with Torus = 0 wins.
11 runs with Vortex = 0 wins.
2 runs with Adjudicator = 1 win.

I suck at drone/ion operations :P
SigFlags!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 01, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

Actually, you DON'T want to kill the whole crew. Have you met the boss? That's... bad. It does enter a special mode.

Ooh, I remember when I found that out.  And my rock ship was doing so well...

But yeah, what I meant was killing almost all of the crew but not enough to turn it into an autoship.  Hell, if you've killed most of the crew they should just teleport the last one/two guys onto one of those rebel cruisers that's hanging around and turn on the autopilot...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »

Yeah, but logically the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

I always leave the Triple heavy laser operational nowadays, simply to keep the flagship from... doing mean stuff when I kill everyone in the main part of the ship.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 01, 2012, 01:37:27 pm »

Dunno for you, but at the end of 5/6 sector, I pretty much have everything maxed/bought what I want.

If I manage to survive to 5/6 sector, that's it.
Is that on easy or normal?

Easy? Totally agree with you. You're given enough scrap that (assuming you don't die horribly before that point) by sector 5 or 6 you should be good. Boarding isn't needed, since you'll just end up drowning in scrap (see my victory with Mantis B a page or two ago.)

Normal? Respectfully disagree. I've had normal runs where I'm still trying to get the scrap to upgrade really important systems right up to The Last Stand. Boarding helps a lot, since otherwise you might not be making enough scrap to even pay for repairs.

Also, taking ships over also has a drastically higher chance of getting you extra crew or weapons; teleporters also provide a lot of blue options in encounters. For 75 scrap, I think it's a well worthwhile upgrade, and would reccommend it to anyone and everyone.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 01, 2012, 01:38:25 pm »

Never played on Easy.

Either I make it to Last Stand and win, or I die halfway. The only time I kill-off crew is the times when I meet Slug Interceptor, cuz, well. Slug Interceptor :P
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 243