Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373851 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1410 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:20 am »

firebomb + rock soldiers + crew teleport = awesome sauce.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

Yeah... firebomb plus rockmen teleport will be MURDER against the second stage of the boss. Drone room destruction, anybody?

Or potentially shield room destruction, to maximize the damage dealt by your burst laser and beams (halberd beam to disable their weapons/pilot seat while burst laser takes out drone control?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This ship now prepares to jump to Last Stand area. No teleporter got, BUT!

Hopefully shields and high evasion will allow me to pound the flagship into submission, whilst strategically knowing out systems and planting fire bombs on board.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 01, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

You should be able to do it, knocking out the weapon systems will be a pain (taking 3+ bombs each), but you can probably last long enough that you will be fine.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:04 am »

The firebombs really will be a godsend. But note: You are VERY low on missiles. Stop at several resupply points if you can.

And lemon, for Fire bombs, wouldn't one bomb each probably be enough? You're defenses are good enough you should probably go strike mode, though, and take down the enemy shields first.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:08 am »

And lemon, for Fire bombs, wouldn't one bomb each probably be enough? You're defenses are good enough you should probably go strike mode, though, and take down the enemy shields first.
Depends on RNG's mood. If the bomb ignites both squares of the weapons room, I'd say yes. If it only ignites one, the crewmember inside will be able to put the fire out.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:19 am »

Okay, so. With each phase, Rebel Flagship got easier :D

First one was pain in ass because of cloak and ion weapon. Also my weapons didn't want to hit the damn ship. But I managed, and used only 2 bombs to set fire to the shields room. Rest was coordination between the lasers and halberd beam. After this, I went to repair myself - the station was 3 jumps away but I had the luxury of time.

Second one was, I think, the easier. Whilst Rocks were busy with the boarding drones, my firebombs ravaged the Flagship's drone and shields room. And then, a repeat of first phase.

I've restocked and repaired myself at nearby station to full health.

Third phase was even easier than the drone phase. The flagship scored hits only because I didn't disabled the missile room soon enough. Same tactic as above.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here you have the winner ship :) As you can see, Rocks were busy with repairing doors (proved to be unnecessary, really), whilst rest of the crew took it rather easy on themselves.

WOOHOO! My second victory on Normal in this game, sweet :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:51:34 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 01, 2012, 11:58:42 am »

The Random Number God works in mysterious ways...

Prepare to get killed in the first sector dozens of times now.

At least it's nice to know no money was wasted on that game.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:05 am »

Congrats! See, you had nothing to fear, the RNG decided to love you all the way to the finish this time!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 01, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »

Tip for those trying to fight against Flagship whilst feeling underpowered:

Turn off autofire, pause button is your friend. Pause every second if you need to - it will save you many tears of frustration because you mis-timed or looked away to check your ship at wrong moment.
SigFlags!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »

Only time I ever auto-fire is with a rapid-action ion ship. Because I will never, ever remember to refire those things ever 4 seconds. Missile ships you can autofire pretty safely 90% of the time. But beam ships?

Beam ships are ALL about the timing. Expect to coordinate everything down to the last moment if you want to do well.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »

Dammit.  Pulled off a comeback with the slug ship where we went from struggling with low health and fuel to having a bunch of weapons, full shields, and 6 engines by the time we reached the flagship.  We had to get a random drop of a halberd beam and scavenge scrap literally in the last stand to do it, but we got everything together.

Then, directly before the first drone superattack, a missile hits the helm.  We have an engi there and another running to help, but the missile hit starts two squares of fires.  Unable to dodge or repair the helm, our poor ship is then torn apart by six anti-ship drones.  Maybe we should have bought auto-pilot for the health instead of getting that reactor upgrade...

At least the ship's original objective was to unlock the slug ship variant, and it achieved that goal.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »

How the hell do you guys even manage to finish the game? With that triple rocket launcher, triple ion blast and triple laser gun that flagship looks sure as hell impossible.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

Also, guys: If your FTL graphics are pixelated/messy, find the game's settings.ini file and add 'swapTexture=1' there. Said file should be in [steam directory]/steamapps/common/ftl

This should fix a lot of graphical problems C:

@jaxy15: High evasion and thick shields help a lot. Also, weapons that can pierce 4-layer of shields. I always knock away shields, and then weapons, and then it is easy.

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG! SOMEONE IS MODDING IN STAR TREK INTERFACES/STARSHIPS INTO FTL YESSSSS
LINK!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:49:16 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 01, 2012, 12:53:29 pm »

If the AI was smart? It would be nearly impossible. However, thankfully, it's not!

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 243