Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373859 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1365 on: September 30, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »

And only one other race gets a 4-person teleporter! And crystal weapons are the only non-missile projectiles that pierce shields. So awesome.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 30, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

Managed my best easy game to date with The Basilisk, managing to beat even my two normal wins - 4124 points.

I found a scrap arm early and quickly built up a crack squad of four Mantises (let's hear it for a quad teleporter!)

By the end of the game I had so much scrap sitting around (over 600, if I remember correctly) that I was able to max every single system. Sadly, due to a lack of Zoltans, I was only able to power a very small subset of that. Still, it was a fun-filled slaughter.

Still no Rock or Crytal ship though. I was really hopeful for this playthrough, since the Rock Homeworlds showed up at sector 6, which would've allowed me to complete the quest even if I got to it late... but sadly, no such luck.

(Click to embiggen)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1367 on: September 30, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »

My last basalisk run was terrible. I lost my boarding crew to a ship jumping away. for the longest time I had just one Mantis running about. Eventually I built a crew back up, but I couldn't really fight any ships so it was really slow, had to flee most fights. Then I got my crew wiped by fire from a solar flare and left me with just 1 zoltan, and i still had no actual weapons. I sacrificed him to the vacuum.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 30, 2012, 10:37:27 pm »

Dammit, I bought it from GOG before checking the dev's website - if you buy directly from there you get the DRM free Windows,Mac AND Linux versions and a Steam key if I read it right.  But the beta patches only come out on Steam it seems.   I would have especially liked the linux version, I'm spending a lot more time on the linux machine and wouldn't mind something I could fire up for quick R&R - oh well :D

So far, I suck hugely, haven't made it halfway through the 2nd sector in about 10 tries heh...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »

Why does the game hate me playing the Stealth ship???
Every time I do so, double Shields on the first battle in sector 2 with a beam drone or something like that. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:50 pm »

New versions come out on the site, but they aren't patches. However, simply downloading over your existing install works, and preserves save status.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 01, 2012, 12:32:17 am »

The game doesn't even LET me get the Stealth ship. Consider yourself lucky. :P
Are you LOST?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:48 am »

Every time I do so, double Shields on the first battle in sector 2 with a beam drone or something like that. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
Yeah, the stealth ship is a huge pain in the ass till you get sheilds, after that you can basically just breeze through the game if you get even a single decent weapon.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:07 am »

Yeah, same. I've gone through the Engi Homeworlds many times yet the game will not give me the event.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:55 am »

Yeah, same. I've gone through the Engi Homeworlds many times yet the game will not give me the event.
That sucks, I have been forced into it 3 times after getting it the first time. Its annoying how the game repeats these quests...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:53 am »

Wow, I just annihilated on my first run with the Zoltan Cruiser  :-\

First encounter: Pirate with anti-ship drone and Hermes missile. Both of them combined wear my Zoltan Shield down to nothing before I can even get a missile off, which promptly misses. Half the ship is either on fire, airless, or knocked out before I can make a run for it.
Very next sector: Identical pirate ship. Two crew members die horribly as I try to bring systems back online, and then the ship explodes. I had no freaking chance.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 01, 2012, 02:57:50 am »

Wow, Hermes missiles and anti-ship drones on the very first encounters?

The RNG screwed you over there.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1377 on: October 01, 2012, 03:19:18 am »

So, I've found myself trying to keep around 100 scrap handy at all times so that if I find something interesting in a store, I'll be able to get it.

This contrasts to my earlier approach, where I'd spend everything I had on shields and engines or other upgrades, and only keep scrap if there was nothing I really wanted to upgrade.

I think I'm doing worse now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think especially early on it might be worth upgrading a ton.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 01, 2012, 03:26:00 am »

Honestly, I say whatever floats your boat. If you feel like you're doing okay, feel free to keep reserves. But if you feel like you're doing poorly or you are doing poorly, don't hesitate to spend everything.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 01, 2012, 03:39:33 am »

So, I've found myself trying to keep around 100 scrap handy at all times so that if I find something interesting in a store, I'll be able to get it.

This contrasts to my earlier approach, where I'd spend everything I had on shields and engines or other upgrades, and only keep scrap if there was nothing I really wanted to upgrade.

I think I'm doing worse now. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think especially early on it might be worth upgrading a ton.

I tend to save scrap in the early zones, mostly because the game doesn't really get challenging until zone four or so. That said I'll probably upgrade sensors, engines and sometimes medical bays just for the potential random events.
After that I tend to die quickly if I'm not spending but hopefully I've also found some nice items in shops by then anyway.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 243