Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373876 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1350 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:11 am »

I don't hate the Zoltan Ship that much.

I do hate the Zoltan achievements though.

I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 30, 2012, 07:02:49 am »

I don't hate the Zoltan Ship that much.

I do hate the Zoltan achievements though.

I got that achievement by pure luck. I never engaged in a fight ONCE.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 30, 2012, 10:54:45 am »

So I FINALLY got the stealth cruiser using Zoltan Cruiser B.
Blasted the rebel and mantis ship with ion blasts and pike beams until the bastards dropped.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 30, 2012, 11:40:47 am »

Could have beat the game with the Zoltan ship, chose not to so I could grab a few extra scrap and get the achievement I needed to unlock the Zoltan B. (had to not only have enough energy, but have enough stuff to put it in)

Honestly, I still hate the ship. I made it work by getting a bunch of lasers and attack drones to make the beam useful, but I really don't like the ship. I might like the new layout better, though - at least the room layout doesn't seem like it's going to make me rage. And I do enjoy Ion.

On the whole, though, it seems like a crappy version of the stealth ship, since they have a similar niche.

Also, stupid Zoltans moving around kept turning off my weapons. Grrr. So annoying to play.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 30, 2012, 11:57:12 am »

Man, I was so close.
I had beaten the first two stages of the boss, but at the cost of all but one bit of hull. So, when I bumped into some rebel peon... I was pretty thoroughly screwed. At least I got the second boss stage on my first try, plus I got layout B for the Engi ship(The Vortex I think?).
That thing is a delightfully bad idea. I love it.
Edit- I just got that event where slavers bug you to give up a crewmember...
On a Vortex...
Three times in a row...
So now I've got a zoltan, a rockman & a mantis in addition to my lone engi, I swear, I love this game so much.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:35:37 pm by SomeStupidGuy »
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 30, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »

God damn it, I really want to play this now. I'm going to have to throw more money at Gabe.

DAMN YOU GABE NEWELL AND YOUR AMAZING SELECTION OF GAMES!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 30, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

I'm going to have to throw more money at Gabe.
I hear you can buy it directly from the developer's website, and get both the steam version and a DRM free version via that method.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »

So, I unlocked Zoltan Cruiser and gave it a try. Got second Halberd Beam on the very first explored beacon in first Sector + another Zoltan crew few beacons later...

RNG of course trolled me with 2-shield ships as soon as at second Sector. Also, asteroid fields. Asteroid fields at least at half of the beacons, pelting away the supershield in few seconds.

Managed to get to third sector before getting obliterated by lasers and asteroids :v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 30, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »

Wow, the Fire Beam is amazing. You get so much more scrap for killing the crew, and you don't have to risk your own with the Fire Beam.

Just shoot their weapons and drones with something light, hit them a couple times with the Fire Beam, and watch the fireworks (heh).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 30, 2012, 02:11:18 pm »

Wow, the Fire Beam is amazing. You get so much more scrap for killing the crew, and you don't have to risk your own with the Fire Beam.

Just shoot their weapons and drones with something light, hit them a couple times with the Fire Beam, and watch the fireworks (heh).

Rockmen think your silly beams are silly. I tried using a firebeam once, but almost always, the enemy crew managed to get the fire under control almost immediately, even when I hit four rooms.

Also, there's a problem with killing off all the crew members. IIRC from my playthroughs, if you kill the enemy crew with boarders, you don't ever get a surrender from the enemy, which can occasionally be helpful, usually with more fuel/missiles/drone parts, but less scrap.
Also often called Boowells.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 30, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

That was probably the most lucky Stealth Ship run ever.  I found literally no weapons until just after sector 6... where I found a shop inside the Crystal Homeworlds.  Suddenly I was outfitted with a bunch of ridiculously strong crystal weapons, and that combined with the assassination technique of the inhabitants allowed me to win easily.  And unlock the hidden ship, woo.  Only slugs to go now.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:35 pm »

Rockmen think your silly beams are silly. I tried using a firebeam once, but almost always, the enemy crew managed to get the fire under control almost immediately, even when I hit four rooms.
Good point.

Also, there's a problem with killing off all the crew members. IIRC from my playthroughs, if you kill the enemy crew with boarders, you don't ever get a surrender from the enemy, which can occasionally be helpful, usually with more fuel/missiles/drone parts, but less scrap.
If you're killing the enemy ship's crew before you can kill the boarders, I think you may either be doing it wrong or are way too effective.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 30, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »

Good point.

If you're killing the enemy ship's crew before you can kill the boarders, I think you may either be doing it wrong or are way too effective.
I think he means if you use boarders to kill the enemy crew.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »

Though I DO frequently kill the enemy crew before any boarders... Crystal dudes are awesome.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:14 pm »

Yes, yes they are.

Really, Crystal is sort of like the "High-tier" stuff (although it's fine from a singleplayer standpoint). No other race gets an activated ability, much less an activated ability and two buffs (With a slight debuff). Plus. the weaponry array is not half-bad. There need to be more special people.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 243