Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373880 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1335 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »

Missiles do something on the order of 15 points of crew damage per point of hull damage, I think. So Breach missiles can take down a Zoltan to 10 hp. Anything that hits the room after that, or the suffocation from the breach missile, or a gust of wind, can kill them.

I don't think they can be 1HKOed by anything in the game, but they're still more vulnerable to dying suddenly than any other race is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

Bluh, I think I'm giving up on the Zoltan ship. I don't understand how people can consider the stealth ship difficult and this thing... not. The room layout is terrible, the equipment is terrible, the crew is terrible, it's just... terrible.

Anyways, I think the problem may have been ships with breach missiles + fires/suffocation meaning they can't get out of the room before dying. OR, if they've already taken a point of damage from a laser blast and stay in the room to fix it... boom. :/ "So why don't you heal them?" you may ask. The obvious answer - moving Zoltan's is goddamn painful, screwing up the whole ships energy system.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 29, 2012, 11:23:11 pm »

On my third run with Rock Ship A tonight, the first two were brief and terrible.  This one is looking long an terrible.  I strongly dislike relying on missiles.  It's my fault I got drunk and lost 5 crew to poorly-planned boarding actions.

I'm working off the assumption that I need to fly the Rock ship for the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but I'm avoiding looking it up.  Next attempt I'll make purchasing energy weapons an even higher priority.

Stupid rock ship.  The Rock Homeworlds weren't even IN this attempt.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 29, 2012, 11:58:10 pm »

ARGH!
Spoiler: FINAL BOSS (click to show/hide)
I think those of you not clicking the spoiler would know what happened either way ;)
Are you LOST?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 30, 2012, 12:03:09 am »

I just survived a difficult battle with the Vortex...and now it almost seems like the RNG is making it up to me. I got a boarding drone from a station (used System Repair drone to put out the fire), got some free scrap and drone parts from a random Zolton vessel, and now I found a Glaive beam floating in the void :o

EDIT: Never mind! Game threw me into a plasma storm at critical hull levels, against a rebel ship with missiles and a medical bay. I did not survive. Funny how enemy ships never seem to be affected by those half power levels.

Also, an automated drone somehow jumped away while the helm was still red from damage. Can you say "bullshit"?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:18:15 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:47 am »

Bluh, I think I'm giving up on the Zoltan ship. I don't understand how people can consider the stealth ship difficult and this thing... not. The room layout is terrible, the equipment is terrible, the crew is terrible, it's just... terrible.
On the other hand, the unique shield is amazing, it's something no other ship has. It effectively saves you 5 HP per battle assuming your enemies weren't trying to use something ineffective anyway. Which means less scrap paid for repairs. The Zoltans, even with their downsides, mean more energy for less scrap (earlier power bars cost less scrap).

And, personally, I think the starting equipment is near-Kestrel levels. The beam can do a lot more damage than the Burst Laser at the start and isn't at risk of being screwed over by misses. And the missile launcher, while weak, fires faster than any other missile launcher.

No ship is for everyone.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:57:16 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 30, 2012, 12:58:08 am »

NERVE WRECKING RUN RIGHT HERE!!!

Glaive Beam and Breach Bomb 2

FAKE EDIT:::

Damn it...
I lost. I went back when I should have just chased the dame thing...  T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:26 am »

So, I have a the Kestrel kitted out to the teeth with lasers and 3 shield laywers, as well as a anti ship drone and a missile defense drone. Get to the endboss for the billionth time....

And I then realize I have exactly 0 missiles. Sad times all around.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 30, 2012, 01:24:48 am »

So, I have a the Kestrel kitted out to the teeth with lasers and 3 shield laywers, as well as a anti ship drone and a missile defense drone. Get to the endboss for the billionth time....

3 shield lawyers.

After all, who doesn't object to lasers?
Also often called Boowells.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:06 am »

do you get anything special for doing all 3 achievements per ship?

Bragging rights.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 30, 2012, 02:01:58 am »

And I then realize I have exactly 0 missiles. Sad times all around.
The repair stations give missiles, and don't disappear after using them once, so if they are placed somewhere not terrible you can get +10 missiles before the fight.

Also:
The Zoltan ship is lovely. First off it starts with three zoltans, which will end up saving ~100 scraps in energy costs (or let you use even more equipment then you can with a normal ship), not to mention they are super good in ion storms and can semi-ignore ion effects.
Secondly, its super sheild is super great, it functionally lets you ignore the first few missiles and usually the first two bursts of attacks, saving you on average 3 health per battle (if they have at least 1 missile and you don't have a defense drone, if they have a beam drone its near useless however). It also lasts long enough so you can pre-vent rooms to screw up boarders when they tele there, and even starts with doors two.
Finally the haldbers beam is great. It can *always* damage 4 rooms (although there are times when damaging 3 system rooms is more important), and on a few can damage 5 rooms (8-10 damage). Yeah, the missile launcher kind of sucks, and you are screwed VS a enemy with 2.5+ sheilds, but if you never find a weapon you are screwed no matter what ship you use.

I do agree that the zoltans limited health is a pain, but you can't get 1 shotted by anything. A bit of bad luck combined with not healing can take you out (eg. a breach missile hitting you while your health is low cause of a fire), but if you keep their health up they are fine. Boarders aren't much trouble due to the supershiled+starting with doors two.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:13:32 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 30, 2012, 02:09:07 am »

Does anyone know where the save data is kept, or what the file is called? I'm one jump away from the place where I can unlock the Zoltan ship, and I really don't want to mess up again and have to get lucky once more <_<;
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 30, 2012, 02:46:17 am »

Does anyone know where the save data is kept, or what the file is called? I'm one jump away from the place where I can unlock the Zoltan ship, and I really don't want to mess up again and have to get lucky once more <_<;

Don't sweat it. If you're talking about the event I think you're talking about, it's not that bad.
Also often called Boowells.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:06 am »

Yeah, it's really easy. There's only so many choices.

Steps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 30, 2012, 03:39:47 am »

Just beat his for the second time. Got really lucky in the end: The enemy fired off their superweapon and the triple heavy laser at the same time... I had three shields and one hull point.

And I lived.

Also, unlocked the Federation Cruiser B and Mantis Cruser on that run.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 243