Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373911 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1245 on: September 27, 2012, 11:36:30 pm »

So, finally got my shit together and beat the game for the first time.  It was on normal mode as a Kestrel; I blew out the boss's shields with a weapon pre-igniter + firebomb.  No casualties and no real problems, besides entering the final fight with two missiles left.  A new strategy that worked very well for me is to start out with crew on engines and weapons and focus on upgrading the engines early; if your ship has rapid fire weapons you'll quickly have all the starting crew leveled up.

Since I never played on easy, I just unlocked the Federation Cruiser.  And then beat the game again on my first run with the new ship, making it twice in a row.  Thank you whoever mentioned the strategy pure of defense and killing with the artillery beam.  I had one gun for the boss fight, a Hermes missile.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:17 am »

I too yesterday defeated the boss on normal with kestrel. Since the game gave me halebert beam, ion bomb and weapon pre-ignater in the first sector I didn't feel any satisfaction at all.
I did so many bad decisions (i've bought teleporter in sector 6 and lost boarding party in their second action and didn't used it afterwards, i bought drone control and in 90% of cases i forgot that i have one) i shouldn't win; and yet...  ::)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 28, 2012, 01:48:51 am »

Federation Cruiser B. Sector 7. Full crew. Max level on all four ship skills. Three layer shields. Full power. Four power to Engines. Five power to weapons. Pike Beam, Dual Lasers, Burst Laser I, Small Bomb. Drone System. Defense Drone I, Hull Repair. Level 2 Medbay and Teleporter.

Two jumps away from the exit beacon I had 3HP and no drones to repair.

This was a painful loss. I am nothing less than certain that I would have beaten the boss with that load out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 28, 2012, 01:57:24 am »

Since the game gave me halbert beam, ion bomb and weapon pre-igniter
Geez.  Sometimes the game gives me expensive stuff, but it's never picked such an optimal setup...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 28, 2012, 02:43:54 am »

Since the game gave me halbert beam, ion bomb and weapon pre-igniter
Geez.  Sometimes the game gives me expensive stuff, but it's never picked such an optimal setup...

Yup, most ships up to sector 5 were practically incapable of fighting if not outright destroyed after my first salvo. At least i got the "they never saw it comming" achievement.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:47 am »

the game gave me halebert beam, ion bomb and weapon pre-ignater in the first sector
I've heard of two ion blasts and a pike beam (AKA Zoltan Cruiser B) But that's just ridiculous.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:50 am »

I had glaive, ion bomb, breach missile + weapon pre-igniter once. Talk about fun.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:28 am »

And so I persuaded the game author to try and include 'force 1280x720 resolution when game starts' to the game code :)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:02 am »

And so I persuaded the game author to try and include 'force 1280x720 resolution when game starts' to the game code :)

Really? I hope that is optional.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: September 28, 2012, 08:45:22 am »

I mean, as another option, geez ::)

So I don't have to manually throttle from 1024x768 to 1280x720 and back.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: September 28, 2012, 08:49:59 am »

Ahh good, the word force made me think it always did that :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1256 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:32 am »

So yeah, i caught up with the second form of the final boss.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had a double laser, heavy laser II and halberd beam. Worked wonders at most things when coupled with the fact that i was running a stealth cruiser. Except that halberd beam is useless against shields and takes 3 power, likewise with heavy laser II. So when a fire wrecked my weapons compartment, everything was lost. On the plus side, i got the Ballistophobic achievement because i never got any rocket launchers. :U (had around 50 missiles by the end)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:00 am »

I actually got the Astronomically Low Odds achievement in my first encounter with that form.  Needless to say my entire ship was on fire and I ended up losing that one.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:10 am »

So yeah, i caught up with the second form of the final boss.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had a double laser, heavy laser II and halberd beam. Worked wonders at most things when coupled with the fact that i was running a stealth cruiser. Except that halberd beam is useless against shields and takes 3 power, likewise with heavy laser II. So when a fire wrecked my weapons compartment, everything was lost. On the plus side, i got the Ballistophobic achievement because i never got any rocket launchers. :U (had around 50 missiles by the end)
A way to kill the weapons crews and destroy the weapon systems without having to break the shields first (bomb spam and teleporters both work) is a massive help and makes everything a magnitude easier.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:28 am »

I actually got the Astronomically Low Odds achievement in my first encounter with that form.  Needless to say my entire ship was on fire and I ended up losing that one.
Ditto.

Word. For. Word.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 243