Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373918 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1230 on: September 27, 2012, 05:25:04 pm »

Well... that didn't pan out as I had hoped.

The first episode I record using the newly unlocked Federation Cruiser fails to get past the first sector lol. One of my friends mentioned that they've had a similar issue early on with the Federation Cruiser, but it gets much more powerful as you level it up and get a bit of scrap to invest in weapons, etc.

Anyone else had a similar experience? (If so, got any tips? ;))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 27, 2012, 06:37:16 pm »

Levi, have you unlocked Stealth Ship B?

It's freaking amazing. Glaive Beam + Built-in-stealth-weapons + Starter Cloak is basically MURDER. You will probably need a level or two of shields eventually, to stop beams and drones, but that's really the extent of it. Everything else can go to PURE POWAH and it's easy as.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 27, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »

Levi, have you unlocked Stealth Ship B?

It's freaking amazing. Glaive Beam + Built-in-stealth-weapons + Starter Cloak is basically MURDER. You will probably need a level or two of shields eventually, to stop beams and drones, but that's really the extent of it. Everything else can go to PURE POWAH and it's easy as.

No, not yet.  The achievements looked a little hard.  Damn.  Maybe I should try focusing on those instead of winning.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 27, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »

The achievements are very hard, it would seem.  Auto-ships apparently don't count for the easiest one, although it looks like it might be possible to take out a Mantis scout in one cloak with the upgraded cloaker (Play easy mode for enough scrap right off the bat).
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 27, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

- Rock Layout A:  AKA "Spend all your money on missiles and then die horribly as soon as you run out" ship
I actually had a great run with these today (my easiest win so far).  Unless you're really unlucky you should get some kind of alternative option to missiles before you run out of them.  Boarding for example is a pretty viable tactic considering all your crew are rockmen and you can use the occasional missile to smash open the ship before slaughtering the crew.

...Actually all my victories so far have been heavily boarding based, even the one with the Federation ship.  And I'm doing a run with the Gila Monster now so that's not likely to change soon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 27, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »

Anyone else had a similar experience? (If so, got any tips? ;))

I'm having the same problems, especially with the Layout B. The Fed Cruiser doesn't seem to have enough oomph to make it through fights in the early game without taking an uncomfortable level of damage.

I don't have any tips. I'm struggling to figure out a strategy to deal with it myself.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »

Okay seriously, anybody who's done the first Stealth Cruiser achievement, how did you do it?  I think I might have a bugged version where it's impossible or something, because I just did it on a regular ship (Not an autoship), and it still didn't fucking work.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

... Isn't the first one the "get through all sectors without hitting danger zone" one?

Anyway - the key to remember is that you have to be cloaked before the first point of damage lands, and REMAIN cloaked until AFTER the victory popup appears. Buying stealth weapons (compounding with ship ability, means zero loss from firing), and judicious use of beams+an ion bomb is how I pulled it off. I think it went:

Deploy attack drone => Ion bomb => explodes/cloak => beam with pike beam to do 7 damage, beam with small beam to do 4 damage, hit shields with both disabling them, and then beam with small beam again before cloak expires for big boom.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »

Okay seriously, anybody who's done the first Stealth Cruiser achievement, how did you do it?  I think I might have a bugged version where it's impossible or something, because I just did it on a regular ship (Not an autoship), and it still didn't fucking work.

Well, you see, I unlocked the Stealth Cruiser Layout B, started the game, came across an enemy, waited until the Glaive Beam was fully charged, cloaked, then immediately fired, and that was that.

Obviously useless if you don't have the B Layout, of course.

I only unlocked it once, so my memory of the event is pretty fuzzy, but I think you have to still be cloaked while the enemy is breaking apart. That is, you have to be cloaked when you get the popup with your rewards for beating the ship.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 27, 2012, 09:54:02 pm »

Just a heads up for everyone using the Humble bundle (not GoG or Steam) version: 102.5 is finally out.

For Steam and GoG, your versions have been out for a while.

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

Within options you can enable paths to be drawn when hovering over a beacon.
    Dialog keys will now have a brief delay before they are active, this can be disabled within the options.

Yesssss

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:26 pm »

BLARG!  Had such a lucky game going with the stealth ship go to ruin. 

1) Got a glaive beam in sector 1 from a bribe.
2) By sector 2 my stealth was maxed.  By sector 3, I could power my glaive beam.
3) Everything is going great, until I realized I needed to backtrack across the rebel line to avoid an astroid belt(because I wanted the achievement).
4) Turns out I had to survive three rebel attacks in a row because of this, and for some reason the last one wouldn't let me jump(or even charge my FTL engine). 
5) DEATH BLARGLGLG.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:54 pm »

Really handy thing for any insta-kill related ones:
There is an augment out there (120 scrap cost) which puts all your weapons at 100% charge immediately upon jumping in. Fire off a salvo of everything, and if said everything is powerful enough, instakill.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 27, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »

It's called Weapon Pre-igniter. Yeah, it's pretty amazing.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:25 pm »

Yay got the stealth ship!

Boo got blown up 3 systems in on its first run :/
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 243