Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373927 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1185 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:37 am »

4 pages about FTL's Kickstarter have occurred because most of us have now hit the mean-time-to-content-expiration threshold.

By the way, $180k is somewhere between 4 and 8 months worth of development time for a 4 man team at competitive wages.

The team working on FTL live in China, and living standards here are reduced by a factor of 4 or so, even in Shanghai. That's 32 months!

Anyway, fenrif has a point. Funding is not donating, and it's not purchasing. As a matter of accounting, your funding should not be profit. The Kick-It-Forward initiative is a good example of developers stressing that funding is not profit, to be freely used like profit. Truth be told, Kickstarter is actually a rather rickety concept that straddles angel investing and pre-ordering. It's going to have teething problems when the proposed timeframes on some of these projects begin coming due.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:07 am »

Can't we all just stop arguing about money and play the game?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 26, 2012, 10:40:25 am »

Feel free to ignore this if you don't want to talk about KS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:44:10 am by Sergius »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:30 am »

New Patch up on Steam:
Changelog 1.02

Humble Bundle version not updated yet.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 26, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »

Does anyone have any good ways for getting the Kestrel achievements? I'm rather interested in layout B.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 26, 2012, 12:48:53 pm »

Well, the "all systems" one isn't that bad to get.

The "1 Hp" one is either luck or spending a bunch of money on missiles for firebombs.

The alien crew one is mostly luck.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

Does anyone have any good ways for getting the Kestrel achievements? I'm rather interested in layout B.
Getting all types of race... Well just save up scrap and hop shops and aim to reach each race's sectors/homeworlds.
Getting all Systems... Save like crazy. Around 305 scrap. Buy in one go cause normally all three are located in one store...
Touch Little Ship... Asteroid Area near store or a safe path to a store, lower shields and let hull get pelted by asteroids without any systems catching fire and it getting away from you...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

The "1 Hp" one is either luck or spending a bunch of money on missiles for firebombs.

That seems like a lot of work - I got it by letting a weak AI drone snipe at me for a while.

The other way I've heard of is just sit in an asteroid field with your shields down (just make sure to get them back up before that last asteroid hits)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1193 on: September 26, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »

all systems: stop at every store and make sure you keep at least 150 free scrap for when you run across the cloak.

Repair from 1: once you have enough scrap to repair from one, stalk the systems adjacent to stores, looking for an enemy that does will do exactly 1 damage per hit and let him wear you down without killing him. Then you can either jump away at 1hp or finish him off with one last salvo. For some enemies you can manually lower your shield strength if they just can't cut through your full shields and still do 1 damage.

crew: this is a hard one, you need to keep 65+ scrap on hand to buy crew at shops, you need to fight or buy from slavers, and be willing to dismiss trained crew from races you have more than one of. Its mostly random, no real way to farm it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 26, 2012, 01:21:56 pm »

Doing the crystal crew member mission helps, too - that's the only reason I got it. Slugs are probably the least common race, so snap them up at the first opportunity. The region you visit can effect which units are available, too.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 26, 2012, 03:03:53 pm »

So, any tips for playing with the Man of War (Slug Cruiser A)? It's a fun ship, but I can't seem to use it quite effectively.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 26, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »

I had an interesting bug come up, it helped me quite a bit to beat the boss.

Something happened, and my defense I drone just vanished. It was active (the drone had 2 bars) but the subsystem itself was using 0 power. And indeed, there was some sort of phantom drone shooting down missiles and asteroids the whole game, but it seemed invisible and indestructible, didn't need scooping after each battle (I did have the drone arm) and didn't use power from my generator. It was also impossible to shut off (didn't try unequipping it, I'm not stupid ;))

Weird.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 26, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »

Yeah, known bug, fixed with the first patch. Pretty awesome though. "The RNG was extra kind to you today."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »

Have you never heard of a Guardian Angel before?  Clearly intended behaviour.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »

The slug ship (either A or B) is supposed to be great for boarding, so you could try that.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 243