Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373990 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1110 on: September 25, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

Nothing is certain but death and mantis boarding groups.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 25, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »

Never lost to anything when using careful venting and group fighting in Medbay.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 25, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

Anyone have a good strategy for the Federation Cruiser? I always get a great start and then get curbstomped around Sector 5. Not sure why it's so much harder than the Kestrel. I've tried upgrading Shields a lot, Engines a lot, the Artillery Cannon, regular weapons...nothing seems to work for me and I can't really tell why.

Hmm. I usually die to robot ships in Ion Storms. Maybe I just need to invest a bit in Excess energy so I can get past those.
I beat the game with the Fed Cruiser without investing a single point into weapons. Focus on  maximizing your defensive potential; you already have a weapon that will deal guaranteed damage, you just need to survive long enough to use it. If you can find one and spare the scrap for upgrading the proper systems, a Defense II drone will be a godsend.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »

Spend some money into getting a Drone System and a Defense Drone I and get to upgrading your shields as soon as you can. With that you should be pretty durable, and then you can just let the Artillery Beam do work for you.

If you have done that, then you're just having a lot of bad luck.

Ninja'd by Sirus but whatever.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 25, 2012, 03:26:29 pm »

Ah, ok. Yeah, lack of Drone Systems is probably it. I never seem to find them for sale when I actually have enough scrap to afford them.

I'll have to try out a drone heavy build next time, assuming I can save up for it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 25, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

I've played it for over 40 hours now. 25 cents an hour aint bad.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

I think it's a decent price. It's a great game and it's only real flaw is the lastability. I think I would very much like to see a sequel to this that adds more depth however and perhaps elevate it beyond the current "random encounter" mechanic. A FTL and SPAZ (FTLSPAZ) mash-up would make for a wonderful game.

That's precisedly why I think it's not really worth 9 bucks. The game gets too repetitive fast (faster than regular roguelikes, IMO). I might change my mind if they add more content to it in the next few months, of course. Right now the "Random encounter! fight!" routine tends to make me bory inside each playthrough. I like the game concept, but I think it needs more diversity of options.

As reference: I think that SPAZ provides more content for the same price (less if you get it through the Bundle)

What price would you think would be fair? Like Mephansteras, I've logged over 36 hours, and feel that my money was well spent - it's a much better cost/time ratio then you'll get with virtually any AAA title.

About half it's current price, methinks. It's still a decent ammount of money, but closer to the playability value it has now.

edit: System reqs:
Processor: 2 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Hard drive space: 175 MB
Video: OpenGL 2.0, minimum resolution of 1280×720, dedicated card recommended

That doesn't seem unreasonable for any computer made in the last decade or so.
I, eh, kind of expect more modest requirements from the kind of game it is right now :p

As for: "any computer made in the last decade" Of course it works on my desktop, but the processor requirements make me doubt it will run in my netbook. Which makes me sad.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:33:52 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 25, 2012, 03:35:42 pm »

I've been thinking - imagine how much difficult this game would be if it was exactly as it is now, but the enemy actually played intelligently. Launching their weapons in volleys or slightly delayed instead of one at a time as they come, aiming their weapons at crucial systems, optimizing their beam paths, cloaking specifically to avoid damage, taking out the medbay when the boarders push you back.

It would certainly be... intense. Right now, victory is only as easy as it is because the AI is stupid.

Chairman Poo:
I'm sorry, I just can't agree. It's ten dollars. It's less than the price of a halfway decent meal. It's less than the price of a music cd. It's two pints at the pub. It's certainly worth more than a McDonalds meal, which is the $5 price point. If you're not willing to spend $10 on the game, fine, maybe it's not worth that much too you, but don't act is if the price is high for what you get. It just makes you sound like a cheapskate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:37:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:50 pm »

Never lost to anything when using careful venting and group fighting in Medbay.

Yeah, but while you're group fighting, nobody is manning the systems and putting out fires.  I've lost plenty of times during boarding, although never when I had decent hull points.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

There are no fires when you're venting, that's just silly!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:26:39 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1120 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:45 pm »

I got way more value value per dollar out of 8.99 worth of FTL than I got out of 59.99+tax of diablo 3.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 25, 2012, 03:53:36 pm »

Today I learned that Diablo 3 and FTL were relatable and comparable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1122 on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:05 pm »

It gets repetitive yes but it doesn't lose its fun. If being repetitive was a fun killer then I don't know how Tetris and PacMan ever made it big.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1123 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:45 pm »

Today I learned that Diablo 3 and FTL were relatable and comparable.

of course they are. But it should be noted that FTL has probably 10 to 15 times the fun per dollar as diablo 3.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 25, 2012, 04:02:03 pm »

I'm sorry, I just can't agree. It's ten dollars. It's less than the price of a halfway decent meal. It's less than the price of a music cd. It's two pints at the pub. It's certainly worth more than a McDonalds meal, which is the $5 price point. If you're not willing to spend $10 on the game, fine, maybe it's not worth that much too you, but don't act is if the price is high for what you get. It just makes you sound like a cheapskate.
Is there any particular reason you got personal? Maybe I just have a different concept of money than you do. I make about 900 net € each month, which go almost wholly into rent, light, water, and food.  Anything I earn beyond that costs me a night of misery. So yes, I tend to watch my extra expenses, and ten bucks is about on the upper limit that I might casually spend on a game. And I'm kind of dissatisfied with what I got from the money, considering that in the past simmilar indie-investments have yielded superior games (eg: Atom Zombie Smasher, SPAZ.). I don't overly regret it, because its whithin my margins, and I do like the concept -I'm kind of hoping that the developer will try to iron at least some of the wrinkles out, and I like supporting original ideas, even if at times the execution is kind of disappointing- but I honestly don't think I got my money's worth. If that makes me a cheapskate, so be it.

By the way, one last note: the gross ammount it costs has no bearing on whether you feel you got your money's worth or not. A disappointing one-dollar purchases is still a disappointing one-dollar purchase. It does have bearing on the subsequent annoyance, however. I'm mildly annoyed by the difference between what I got and what I expected (for reference: I purchased this game because I got SPAZ from the Bundle and enjoyed it).

It gets repetitive yes but it doesn't lose its fun. If being repetitive was a fun killer then I don't know how Tetris and PacMan ever made it big.
Perhaps I should specify that it gets repetitive in a bad way, to me. It's just that the avaiable actions are too limited, and it tends to get me bored fast.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:14:22 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 243