Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373996 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1080 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:45 am »

I have a question, if you deactivate a border drone then reactivate it does a new drone get launched or is the old drone just reactivated?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 25, 2012, 11:11:31 am »

The alternate Engi ship is quite hard. Managed to get up to 4 crewmembers, then noticed I couldn't pierce a lvl 2 shield and perished in sector 2.

I have a question, if you deactivate a border drone then reactivate it does a new drone get launched or is the old drone just reactivated?
I'm pretty sure the existing drone is reactivated. That's what happens for AI ships, after all.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:45 am »

Yep, just gets reactivated. Unfortunately. I just want to use them as missiles, heh.

After all, they already get shot down by the anti-missile thing (hilarious to watch against an enemy sending them at you. Pshoo pshoo pshoo pshoo pshoo pshoo, they just keep sending them!)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1083 on: September 25, 2012, 11:43:32 am »

That was totally my intention as well.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1084 on: September 25, 2012, 11:50:34 am »

After some thought, I think my next playthrough will be with the Federation Cruiser. As much as I'm interested in the Zoltan ship, I really can't turn down the cool laser weapon lol. The first episode with the new ship will likely be up tomorrow or the day after.

Out of curiosity though, is there some rhyme or reason to where the homeworlds appear? For example, is there always a homeworld at a certain numbered sector? Or are the sectors which are at the edge of the map more likely to be homeworlds, etc? I assume that each racial ship tends to be unlocked in their respective homeworld?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 25, 2012, 11:54:32 am »

Well that went awfully.  I didn't even get out of the fourth sector...

I ran into a missile spamming ship with three shield layers (which I can barely get through, with my anti-ship drone I get volleys of five shots) and missed it repeatedly, then ran away from that one and found the exact same thing, but on a solar flare :/

The alternate Engi ship is quite hard. Managed to get up to 4 crewmembers, then noticed I couldn't pierce a lvl 2 shield and perished in sector 2.

Yep, the basic problem is that both of your weapons are awful if you try to brute force your way through the enemy shields, and you don't really have the option of doing anything else.  My strategy so far has been to run it with everything but the drone bay and helm open to space, since that takes care of boarders and fire, and try to focus on upgrading weapons early.  Spending money on blast doors or crew is a waste early on, because your ship has worse problems than relying on drones.  If you get weapons that can bust shields, then you can build up scrap and hire some crew to replace your internal drones.  It's the closest thing to playing to the ship's strengths that I can find...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 25, 2012, 11:57:54 am »

I'm pretty sure the existing drone is reactivated. That's what happens for AI ships, after all.

Yeah, sadly. I fired a boarding drone at the final boss. Stupid thing landed in an already-destroyed weapon compartment - you know, the ones sealed off from the rest of the ship? Yeah... that wasn't fun.  :(

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »

I'm convinced that layout is the devs trolling us.

Seriously, there are ways that you could make a viable one-person ship - and what we got was not it.

The weapon selection is horrible. As you've noted, it's literally impossible to beat a two shield ship with the starting weapons - the ion doesn't recharge fast enough, we've only got a single shot laser, and the ship doesn't start with any offensive drone weaponry.

I think that the ship should really get: a two shot weapon of some kind and/or the ion weapon that the Engi type A gets and/or some offensive drones, either boarding or anti-ship.

I've managed to get to sector 5 on normal difficulty with it, but that was entirely due to finding a better weapon and getting a defense drone to save me from missiles fairly early, and running away from the big, scary, two-shield ships in sector 2.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:38 pm »

And on top of that it starts without sensors to.

Btw, I didn't hire any crewmembers, just ran into 2 slavers and 2 damaged federation ships in a nebula.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »

I have noticed that two things cause my downfall most consistently: Powerful Auto-Assault ships in Ion Storms and trying to play while my Fiance is talking to me.

Just had my whole crew die on my in my brand new Slug cruiser because I forgot that I'd turned off the O2 briefly to power up the medbay. Every time she talks with me while I try to play I mess up some small but critical detail.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »

The nice thing about the type-B engi ship is liquidity - I make a beeline for the first possible shop, sell pretty much all my drones and sometimes my weapons too in exchange for something better. I think you start with something like 130 scrap's worth of equipment? Depending on what they are selling, I'll go with a few different strategies.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 25, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »

Got this thing for 9 bucks at the official webpage. I like it.... but in hindsight I think 9 bucks is too much. And it's kind of annoying that such a simplistic game has such steep sysreqs. Considering the kind of graphics it has and the inherent simplicity of the game, this should be something able to run on a tablet comfortably, yet I suspect that given the stated reqs it would not run on my netbook if I tried.
Mind you, not saying it's bad, just that it's a tad overpriced, IMO...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 25, 2012, 01:27:10 pm »

I think I've gotten a good 30 hours out of it so far, and I'm far from done playing it. So at least for me it was well worth the price.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:00 pm »

Got this thing for 9 bucks at the official webpage. I like it.... but in hindsight I think 9 bucks is too much. And it's kind of annoying that such a simplistic game has such steep sysreqs. Considering the kind of graphics it has and the inherent simplicity of the game, this should be something able to run on a tablet comfortably, yet I suspect that given the stated reqs it would not run on my netbook if I tried.
Mind you, not saying it's bad, just that it's a tad overpriced, IMO...

What price would you think would be fair? Like Mephansteras, I've logged over 36 hours, and feel that my money was well spent - it's a much better cost/time ratio then you'll get with virtually any AAA title.

edit: System reqs:
Processor: 2 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Hard drive space: 175 MB
Video: OpenGL 2.0, minimum resolution of 1280×720, dedicated card recommended

That doesn't seem unreasonable for any computer made in the last decade or so.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:40:31 pm by AlStar »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »

I think I've gotten a good 30 hours out of it so far, and I'm far from done playing it. So at least for me it was well worth the price.

Me too.  I've gotten 41 hours so far, and I'm just starting to play less.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 243