Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373999 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1065 on: September 25, 2012, 05:44:29 am »

The Federantion Cruiser's Artillery Beam is just plain ridiculous. So much fun, tearing the ship apart without even moving your finger!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1066 on: September 25, 2012, 05:52:24 am »

The Federantion Cruiser's Artillery Beam is just plain ridiculous. So much fun, tearing the ship apart without even moving your finger!

Can you target it at all, or is it as I suspect, it just randomly targets things for you?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2012, 05:57:27 am »

It targets randomly.

Yes, that does mean that sometimes it can aim poorly and only deal a few points of damage per charge.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:02 am »

Be careful you don't forget about it when you have boarders, I managed to loose my whole assault party when I failed to remember the beam would be killing the ship. Most annoying.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1069 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:41 am »

Be careful you don't forget about it when you have boarders, I managed to loose my whole assault party when I failed to remember the beam would be killing the ship. Most annoying.

Ouch! Good advice, thanks for the heads up. I could easily see myself getting stung by that particular quirk had I not know!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2012, 07:19:38 am »

It happens to me all the time. Nowadays, when I initiate boarding, I turn all of my non-essential weapons off. ON the other hand, if you get good at timing it, you can beam aboard, distract all of the enemy crew from their repair efforts, and then beam out as the artillery weapon fires.

Also, I posted this elsewhere, but it might do someone on here some good. I present, the Medbay Gambit:

1: Beam crew aboard
2: Wait for enemy crew to engage.
3: When enemy crew leave to heal at the medbay, let them go, even beam your own dudes back to rest at your medbay.
4: Fire at enemy medbay, bomb it, hull missile, whatever you have at hand, but assign all of your weapons to it.
5: Enemy crew pray to their impotent gods and die, because they're aleady at low health.
6: If enemy crew remain, they'll go and repair the medbay. Beam or move your boarding party to the medbay and finish them all off.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2012, 07:35:58 am »

But... but the medbay is on fire, and has a hull breach! You must first wait for those to be rid of. THEN you can go ahead and kill 'em all.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2012, 09:16:02 am »

I don't know whether this is a bug or not, and if anybody knows about it, but crew-type drones count as crew for the purpose of achievements and such, just got Disintegration Ray when my bio-beam hit a repair droid.
Shoes...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:19 am »

This just in: drones are people, too.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:56 am »

This just in: drones are people, too.

So I can treat them like dwarves and no longer feel guilty for leaving them behind or when they die?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:53 am »

There are people who feel bad for leaving drones behind? o:

* Haspen learns something every day.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:53 am »

Man.  I am so terrible at the stealth ship.  The moment I find anybody with anti-ship drones I've lost the game.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 25, 2012, 10:57:53 am »

Cloak, and then destroy their drone system before they can do anything. Also, get a shield. :P
I don't use it all /that/ much when I play the stealth ship, maxing out dodge and weapons as my primary goal, but it really helps against beam drones.

Also, remember that the Stealth Ship's main benefit is it's free augmentation that doesn't even take up a slot! (Stealth weapons, letting you fire while stealthed).

I sort of want to try a stealth ship ion+bio-beam play now, though the chances of me getting it are stupid low. :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:20 am »

Also, remember that the Stealth Ship's main benefit is it's free augmentation that doesn't even take up a slot! (Stealth weapons, letting you fire while stealthed).

Oh, haha.  I didn't even know it did that.  I've been waiting till my cloak runs out to fire.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

Mind you, it still gives a /minor/ hit to stealth time when you fire - if you get the augmentation as well, it doesn't even do that. I think each shot fired takes like a second off the cloak? But yeah, if you get all weapons charged before it ends, let em rip - you'll probably have a few more seconds to recharge your weapons some more before you decloak.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 243