Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374053 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #960 on: September 23, 2012, 11:07:11 pm »

Interesting note: If you kill everyone on the enemy ship with your dudes, but they break your teleport, your dudes still get to come home! Just for those wondering. You just hijack the enemy ship to get back in a shuttle. :P

I want to know if I'm doing poorly or well with 4 ships for 22 games.
I'd put it somewhere in the middle. The more you get, the less likely it is to get one, so it's really just lock from here on out. I assume... Stealth Ship, Federation Cruiser, Engi ship, and one other? All the others are luck+preparation based, and having only one of them (I presume Rock or Crystal) is not surprising.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2012, 11:10:32 pm »

Somehow I still don't have the Federation cruiser. Might be that I've exclusively playing on Normal. But then, with me getting to the flagship some 8 or 9 times, what happened?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 23, 2012, 11:14:22 pm »

What happened, obviously, is that you failed to defeat the flagship.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »

I assume... Stealth Ship, Federation Cruiser, Engi ship, and one other? All the others are luck+preparation based, and having only one of them (I presume Rock or Crystal) is not surprising.
You left out The Kestrel. I'm counting it even though it's not unlockable. Which... does sound kind of silly now that I think about it. So 3 unlocks for 22 (now 23) games.

But you're right on two: Fed and Engi are both unlocked for me. The other is Zoltan. I've never got close to the Stealth.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:17:17 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 23, 2012, 11:19:53 pm »

You said "ships unlocked". The Kestrel is not a ship that is unlocked.
* GlyphGryph is confused.

Stealth is honestly VERY simple - just go for the Engi homeworld every time you can (aim for green sections) and offer to help. You need no special equipment or particular crew members, I hit it pretty consistently - at least half my trips through their homeworlds. If you'd "gotten close", you'd have had it. :P

I haven't got the Zoltan yet, it's frustrating. Just luck of the draw though - it's a much rarer encounter than the stealth ship one, so I'm surprised you pulled it off.

Anyways, the Fed and Engi ship are both "automatic" for simply doing well in the game, so they don't really count.

1 ship in 22 games is pretty bad... but it's also one of the two ships I don't have yet. :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #965 on: September 23, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »

The thing with unlocks based on luck based events is that its based on luck. Or in other words the fact that some people complain that some things just don't happen for them while some others stumble into them by accident is guaranteed to happen. It is technically possible as far as I can understand to unlock any of the ships on your first game with no prior knowledge of how to do so though it would be highly unlikely. That and you could probably unlock 3 or more ships in a single game make for an interesting environment for trying to balance the games unlocks though luckily you don't really need to as long as you don't put something stupid weak behind some condition that is stupid hard.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »

I've got the engie ship (Torus) and slug cruiser (Man of War), and no alternate layouts, in 13 games (all on easy mode), with no victories. I've reached the flagship twice, once in the Torus and once in the Man of War.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:15 pm »

You said "ships unlocked". The Kestrel is not a ship that is unlocked.
* GlyphGryph is confused.
See: My ninja edit.

I haven't got the Zoltan yet, it's frustrating. Just luck of the draw though - it's a much rarer encounter than the stealth ship one, so I'm surprised you pulled it off.
Hmm, I recall unlocking it fairly early... In fact, it's the first and so far only ship that won a game. :P

Hint: Looking at the game files, their event doesn't carry a distress beacon. So maybe avoid shops and distress beacons?

1 ship in 22 games is pretty bad... but it's also one of the two ships I don't have yet. :P
Thank you for 'boosting' my confidence. :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:46:44 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:57 am »

So, plotwise...

The Engie: Very logical speech, good machinists, generally peaceful. Loyal to the federation, have a pact with the Mantis. Have not done well since the fall of the federation. There are no primarily Engie pirates, though they may join pirate crews.
Mantis: Not friendly to the federation, but also not hostile to them - so long as they stay out of Mantis space. Enjoy hunting Slugs, who they hate, and Rocks, who they see as worthwhile enemies. Very frequently found as pirates.
Zoltan: Independent, strong believers in the letter of the law and quick to deal with potential threats and criminals. They have some advanced technology, and the Zoltan wise men can be alternately destructive or helpful, depending on their mood. Sometimes found as slavers or pirates.
Slugs: Disliked by everyone. Often found as pirates and slavers, and fight through trickery and subterfuge - often risking interspecies incidents by pretending to be a race other than their own. Particularly hateful of the Mantis.
Rock: I know nothing about these guys. Fairly common pirates. Like to fight, but do not use subterfuge like the Mantis and Slugs.

I like thinking about stuff like this, even though it's so up to personal interpretation and first impressions.  Like I figured the Engis on Mantis ships were technically slaves, but that they don't particularly mind as long as they can repair things.
Zoltan attack me an awful lot for being diplomats, so I see them as DF elves or otherwise fake pacifists.  Pompous and practically bloodthirsty despite showing up as "friendly".
Meanwhile the Rock seem peaceful, if isolationist.  I'd take a Rock sector anyday, despite their missiles tearing up my shields-over-engines strategy.
Slugs are stuff of legend, nobody actually LIVES in nebulae and only fools try to navigate them.  (I hate not having sensors so getting a slug crewman is ever so nice)

I tried the Rock ship today.  Went really well as soon as I ditched the missile launchers for energy weapons and a bomb.  Relying on missiles drives me crazy.  Fire beam with rock boarders is as fun as everyone says, oh yes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:59 am »

Stealth ship mission is specifically about how the rebels are pretending to be Mantis in order to provoke a conflict between the two and break their pact - I would think keeping Mantis slaves would probably be grounds enough, there.

Of course, these are pirates we're talking about most of the time, so it could still be the case.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:56 am »

Ok... WTF FTL... WTF!!!

I decide to just play the game on easy to unlock all the ships...

3 rounds of dieing in the VERY FIRST SECTOR!!!
What is with you, I get to the 6th or 7th nearly all the time normally...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2012, 02:42:02 am »

So far, I played maybe 40 games on normal, and have this ships:

Kestrel (fed kestrel A)
Torus (engi A)
Nesasio (stealth)
Osprey (fed cruiser A)
Vortex (engi B)

In order 'when' I got them :)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2012, 03:28:59 am »

Wow, the RNG hates me.

First three seconds in an asteroid field fight, and the RNG spawns an asteroid which hits my Anti-ship drone. First three. What the hell.

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2012, 03:32:49 am »

Hmm. So far, I still haven't gotten to get the Stealth Ship. Any advice on finding them once IN the sector, e.g. more common areas, and possibly some about how to beat all the enemies? Because I've tried about 50 times to get that ship, quite literally...
Are you LOST?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2012, 03:35:07 am »

Engi crewmember -> Engi sector -> Engi event -> pick blue option 'let engi crew talk to them'.

Then quest starts and it's pretty simple.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 243