Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374078 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #840 on: September 21, 2012, 08:52:03 am »

I had a pretty decent run as the Type A engi ship on easy earlier, managed to find a scrap and drone recovery arms pretty early on, as well as a second ion blast and a decent laser. Just needed to find a few more weapon drones and I could tear everything apart more than I already did.

Then I jump into sector 5.

Automated drone with three shields, two hull lasers, an anti ship-drone and a beam drone, and a freaking hermes missile launcher.

Easier enemy generation my ass.

Also, is it only me, or do enemies start with a higher weapon charge than you do? I can never seem to get a volley off before they do with anything besides the Mk II Ion Blast, no matter what weapon they are using.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:56:00 am by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:53 am »

I am really enjoying this game.

But this game doesnt feel like its 180k dollars. It does feel like a 9k dollar game though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #842 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:33 am »

But this game doesnt feel like its 180k dollars. It does feel like a 9k dollar game though.
Really? The game is extremely polished, balanced(Well, balanced towards a roguelike ideal) and smooth. That level of polish isn't easy. I think you're underestimating the costs to make even a 'simple' game like this. Talent costs money, art assets cost money, everything costs money. 9k wouldn't get you much of a game at all unless your employees have some other revenue stream and are working on the game as a hobby, not their primary job.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:09 am »

@ Shadowlord: You're right, a good defensive drone can work minor miracles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:42 am »

Really? The game is extremely polished, balanced(Well, balanced towards a roguelike ideal) and smooth. That level of polish isn't easy. I think you're underestimating the costs to make even a 'simple' game like this. Talent costs money, art assets cost money, everything costs money. 9k wouldn't get you much of a game at all unless your employees have some other revenue stream and are working on the game as a hobby, not their primary job.

I wouldn't have said extremely polished. It has nice, if simplistic, graphics and it is well balanced, at least as far as choices of what to keep and what to drop go, but the interface is still quite clunky and the amount of content isn't huge.

I'd agree it's a good deal most than 9k worth of development though. For a comparison that is about 3 months of DF development.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 21, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

And there are some oddities, like there fair amont of folks that experience slow fps. (As I do.) And other performance issues.

And there lots of random events that the players should be abe to have a lot more active control. Such as any fire mission or spider mission, should let you control the crew members during it. I only bring up, as half the game is about managing your crew.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

And there are some oddities, like there fair amont of folks that experience slow fps. (As I do.) And other performance issues.

And there lots of random events that the players should be abe to have a lot more active control. Such as any fire mission or spider mission, should let you control the crew members during it. I only bring up, as half the game is about managing your crew.

Yeah, actually that is probably my only complaint.  It is annoying to get things like the spider mission where you simply have a random chance of a crew member dying.  I always just skip it, but that isn't really fun either.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:22 am »

And its the game, just being a dick to you without you have control over it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 21, 2012, 10:41:33 am »

FTL does play dice with the universe

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:58 am »

I wouldn't have said extremely polished. It has nice, if simplistic, graphics and it is well balanced, at least as far as choices of what to keep and what to drop go, but the interface is still quite clunky and the amount of content isn't huge.

I'd agree it's a good deal most than 9k worth of development though. For a comparison that is about 3 months of DF development.
I would also

I would like to note that their Kickstarter funding goal was initially set to $10,000 but people love the idea so much is the reason they got $200k

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 21, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

I would also

I would like to note that their Kickstarter funding goal was initially set to $10,000 but people love the idea so much is the reason they got $200k

Another thing to keep in mind is that, while they raked in a lot of money on that, every donation is also a sale of the game they won't get come release.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »

Man, the federation cruiser is kind of difficult to start off with. That artillery beam is cool, but the loadout on the Kestrel is honestly better for getting out of a fight without taking too much damage. Upgraded shields help, but fighting ships with missiles is just painful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 21, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

It's difficult to start with, but you can beat the final boss without ever putting points into your weapon room if you want. See my previous post.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 21, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »

Maaan.  The layout of the Rock Ship is so cool.  You can vent pretty much any system room to space without venting any other system room.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »

It's difficult to start with, but you can beat the final boss without ever putting points into your weapon room if you want. See my previous post.

Yeah, it's surviving the first few sectors that can be the tricky part. I keep getting stuck in the quandary of spending scrap on repairs or upgrades/outfitting but not having anywhere close to enough to do both. The RNG has not been kind so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 243