Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374101 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #825 on: September 20, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »

So yesterday, I backed up my savegame and data file, and installed the mod that removes the encroachment of the rebel fleet. I then played a game where I was free to visit every single system in every sector, amassing ridiculous amounts of scrap and buying virtually every augment, weapon and ship system I could find.

Ended up with Max shields, engines, medbay, doors, drone bay, sensors, autopilot, teleporter and artillery; dual weapon recharge boosters (30%) and a pre-igniter; had a crew of 8 trained for boarding combat; dual Mk III blasters, an ion blaster and firebombs; Anti-ship and Defense drones both Mk II, with a Hull Repair and Anti-Personnel in reserve.

Got all the way to the final boss, stage 2, and quit before beating it. I then deleted that save and data, restoring my old files.

I would recommend everyone try it at least once. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the rebel encroachment. That mechanic, whilst occasionally annoying/frustrating, is absolutely necessary in keeping the difficulty of the game challenging. Without it, yeah it's fun and a lot more relaxing, but it's definitely a one-time-only experience. I'm glad I did it, and equally glad I didn't stick with it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:10:36 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13:22 pm »

Is there a mod or something that unlocks the other ships for me?  Or makes it easier/less RNG reliant to unlock em?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

Are you playing on Easy mode? Unlocking a good portion of the other ships on Easy Mode really isn't that hard, though it gets less likely the more you unlock obviously.

Federation and Engi ship are obvious unlocks, just beat the game. Cruise for sectors for remaining ships: Green sectors for Stealth and Zoltan and Crystal, red for Rock and Mantis, purple for slugs.

Then buy the scanner to more easily hit the right spots. Make sure to avoid places that couldn't be the quest originator.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:38:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 20, 2012, 05:05:05 pm »

Is there a mod or something that unlocks the other ships for me?  Or makes it easier/less RNG reliant to unlock em?

Use a cheatengine or artmoney to give yourself max scrap. Kite out the ship of your choice. Save scum at every sector jump so you can backtrack.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 20, 2012, 05:29:47 pm »

Spoiler: Success! :D (click to show/hide)

After tragically losing my boarding party and an untrained Engi whom I accidentally teleported onboard during the second stage, I thought I was screwed. I couldn't get to a repair station because the flagship was jumping directly towards it and was below 75% hull strength. I ended up teleporting my sole remaining rockman "Charlie" into the missile control room, and bringing him back once the damage was done. In the meantime, the Torus was getting hammered and I lost O2 twice and my helm once, forcing my engine man to run off to fix them. In the end, it was all worth it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 21, 2012, 01:15:17 am »

Wow, this game has some seriously jerkish events.

What was mine? Well, see, I arrived at a distress beacon, and I was forced along an event trail, and found a marooned slug on a planet. He offers to join my crew, if I can answer his question of how many moons are in the system.

Well, having had a lapse of attention and having skimmed over it, I didn't really know how many moons there were. I answered incorrectly and OH GEE THAT MAROONED GUY SOMEHOW HAS A FRICKING TELEPORTER AND STOLE MY STUFF. And I'm pretty sure there weren't any don't-answer options.

Seriously, what the hell.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #831 on: September 21, 2012, 01:32:33 am »

I found out the hard way that teleported crew do not automatically teleport back when an enemy ship is destroyed. At the same time I found out the hard way that an enemy ship is destroyed when all its crew die, even if its healthy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 21, 2012, 02:12:57 am »

I found out the hard way that teleported crew do not automatically teleport back when an enemy ship is destroyed. At the same time I found out the hard way that an enemy ship is destroyed when all its crew die, even if its healthy.

??? the first is spot on, the second never happened to me. I always had time after depopulating the enemy to get back the away team

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 21, 2012, 02:45:14 am »

Destroying a subsystem deals a point of hull damage, whether it's by crew actions or a fire. If the ship was on fire when you were fighting in it, then it may have simply died by itself, unrelated to the death of the crew.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 21, 2012, 02:55:35 am »

Hmmm.

If an enemy ship surrenders and I got things for that, and the ship explodes from fire that was going on during the surrender, do I get extra scrap from the wreckage or not?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:29 am »

Nope. You don't get any extra scrap.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:49 am »

Apparently the captain is always true to his/her word, and will not scrap a surrendered vessel.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 21, 2012, 08:00:03 am »

Well, at least I survived to the last stage at all, and quite handily.  Had a Kestrel with full seven crew members, including two Mantids and two Engis and a Slug, full shields and a cloak, and a reasonably good armament based on a double-missile launcher and a hull beam.  Problem was that I just couldn't do enough damage to shields and their generators fast enough not to get clobbered in every fight, and I screwed around too long.  Dammit, came all that way for nothing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:04 am »

The AI (or RNG) decided to play hardball earlier: It fired three missiles in a row at my weapons room, all of which hit with around 45% evasion, resulting in the deaths of two of my crewmembers who had been trying to repair the weapons as well as a hull breach there. That didn't stop my run, but missiles did end up being my undoing.

I have yet to find any way to really stop them, but then, I have yet to acquire a defense drone on a ship that has a drone control system. Probably this ship would have been a good candidate for saving scrap to buy a drone control system, considering how ridiculously many drones it threw at me throughout that game.

I was flying a Slug cruiser, which is the first ship other than the engie Torus that I've found, and wiping out ship crews with the anti-bio beam, after upgrading the main weapon and adding an ion weapon, although I was not very impressed with the ion weapon and was having difficulty damaging any systems behind strength 2 shields; I could only knock them down momentarily - long enough to fire the anti-bio beam - unless I used bombs or missiles.

(I've still only made it to the flagship once, and then with an engie ship which was woefully unprepared, and jumped into the flagship's system with half my critical systems broken and over 75% hull damage due to having been cut off by the rebels on approach with time running out, with no cloak, no defense drones, no transporter, no bombs, no weapons other than basic ship attack drones, an ion cannon, missiles, and a piddly gun... On Easy. That was my second game, and I figured that my mistake was fleeing the rebel fleet too quickly and doing no exploring, whereas my mistake in my first game was being caught by them and then not being able to escape at all (every time I jumped, they advanced and I was still in rebel territory).)

This run seemed to be going better, but then I just couldn't find a way to stop missiles or repair the damage without throwing all my scrap at shops. (Even with high evasion)
I know what I need, but it seems like everything has to go perfectly at the right time to get the right stuff (when instead Murphy's Law tends to apply :P).

(It is definitely Fun. :V)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:14:28 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:44 am »

A friend gifted this to me yesterday.
My first run ended in 1 jump, too close to a sun, fought off the pirate, but my ship was on fire and the door controls, oxygen, and engines were down...

Second run I made it to sector 5, and unlocked the Engi ship and the other one there, with the energy people, whom I can't remeber the name of at the moment (Zoltan?)
Loving the game.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 243