Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374137 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #765 on: September 19, 2012, 07:56:36 pm »

HNNNNNNNNNNG. First and ONLY Burst Laser III I've found and it was in Sector 1, the first shop I encountered. I needed just 10 more scrap for it. Hopped around the nearby systems, but by the time I had enough, the Rebels had already taken the area. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »

Finally won! It was on Easy, since I was just trying to unlock stuff. And, wow, Easy mode is really a lot easier. But it was neat being able to have a fully upgraded ship with more weapons than I knew what to do with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 19, 2012, 08:15:24 pm »

I just managed to get to the final boss's second form for the first time.  I had the rock ship with artemis missile, hull missile, firebomb, and hermes missile.  I lost in the second form after my mantis boarding crew died, and was then ripped apart by drones.  It was nice not having to worry about shields the whole playthrough, made things a lot easier, though I had to watch my missile supply more.  I might have been able to win if it wasn't for some bad decisions while boarding the ship.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 19, 2012, 08:53:09 pm »

I thought someone somewhere mentioned a way to register a non-steam version on steam.  Am I just misremembering?

Oh, you just get the key from the download link after purchasing.  Easy peasy.  Now I can recommend the game to Steam friends and get achievements I guess!  (As if anyone ever checks someone else's Steam achievements)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 19, 2012, 09:06:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »

Oh, you just get the key from the download link after purchasing.  Easy peasy.  Now I can recommend the game to Steam friends and get achievements I guess!  (As if anyone ever checks someone else's Steam achievements)

There are no Steam achievements for FTL. Only in-game ones.

A bug named Notch, eh? Oh-ho-ho-ho! ;D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 19, 2012, 09:16:50 pm »

"Hardly lifted a finger" is right - launched the Engi ship specifically to get the achievement, first jump point was a pirate in an asteroid field, activated the anti-ship drone and had the achievement in seconds :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 19, 2012, 09:17:55 pm »

I rarely... well, I NEVER say, this, but...

WHY CANT I HOLD ALL THESE WEAPONS

Game is being ridiculously generous this round. I'm on Normal difficulty, too. Sector 6, 100 scrap in reserve, level 3 shields and artillery beam, level 5 weapons and engines, a drone bay and six crew. I'm using the Fed Cruiser.

Edit: Next fight I picked up ANOTHER Hermes missile. I really need a shop...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:22:59 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 19, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »

Finally beat the boss with the Stealth Cruiser on Normal. That took a lot of painful runs.

I managed to pick up shields before I encountered a beam drone, so that went a long way to wards the win. I also picked up an Ion Blast II and manged to beat the boss with just that and the starting weapons.

I'm pretty convinced that the Ion Blast II is the best weapon in the whole game. For the measly cost of three power it breaks through any shield.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »

The ion blast II borders on OP really. If you can somehow get 2 of those and power them along with anti ship drones or another weapon, you can pretty much shut down any ship in the game while carefuly taking their subsystems out. It charges waaaaay faster then any other ion weapon. Its only disvantage is that it costs 3 power to keep it running.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 19, 2012, 09:59:33 pm »

A bug named Notch, eh? Oh-ho-ho-ho! ;D
I had a Rockman called Notch which I thought was actually an easter egg. Seems like it's just a generic game across the board.  :(

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 19, 2012, 10:07:08 pm »

The result of the "generous" run I just posted about:

Damn close win. \o/ I definitely would not have beaten it without the Artillery Beam.

Edit @ below: Good catch, spoiler'd. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:09:45 pm by Moogie »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »

Might want to spoiler that since it's a little large and a little spoiler-y. People can get a little irate about things like that.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »

Damn close win. \o/ I definitely would not have beaten it without the Artillery Beam.
Wow, the RNG handing out 1-HP wins today apparently.

Also, the RNG must really like beams. I've got two random Halberd beams as weapon drops/bribes. And this is in the Federation Cruiser, which already has a beam weapon built in...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:15 pm »

Wow, best run I've had! So much fun!

Unlocked an alternate layout and TWO alternate ships, and beat the game for the first time (Normal difficulty, of course, never tried easy.)

Strange thing? I think I've finally gotten the hang of it, cause that was kind of a cakewalk. That or I got lucky. I did a lot of buying and selling, but I guess I got rocky with the Crystal guys. Final loadout:

1 Breech Bomb
1 Burst Laser MKII
1 Burst Laser MKI
1 Fire Beam
1 Defense Drone MKI
1 Hull Repair Drone
3 Shield
4 Engine
3 teleport
2 cloak

Crew:
Human x 2
Mantis x 2
Crystal x 2
Engie
Zoltan

All Kestrel rooms had (though the three levels in cloaking ended up not so needed).

Max Level Teleporter allowed me to send Mantis+Crystal, take down the dude in a room thanks to lockdown, and then when two more people rush into to fight those, teleport in ANOTHER mantis and crystal and lockdown the room AGAIN to kill the second party. By this point, I've usually bombed their healer, and they are pretty much done for. The Defense Drone and just-below-max shields and decent engine are more than capable of letting my ship live long enough for that to happen, and if not I can breech bomb their shield and take down their weapons with bursts.

I... never actually ended up using the flame beam, except as a minor boost against the final boss super shield.

Also, I don't know how scoring works, cause this was NOT my highest score game. o_O
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:27:21 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 243