Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374134 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #750 on: September 19, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »

AHAHAHAHAHAAAA! I GOT A VICTORY WITH 1 HULL! Oh my god, all I had to take was one missile and I would be toast, or one system taken down by the boarders. But my 45% evasion dodged not one, but THREE missiles and I got one more hit, and won the game!

Oh god, that was freaking intense.

Haha, wow.  That is cutting it close.  Grats!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 19, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »

So the defensive drone basically seems like the best thing in the game, honestly. Enemy missiles are just the worst, the absolute worst.

Hmm... it doesn't stop bombs, though, but bombs are much less common. Does anything stop enemy drones?

Bombs apparently don't hurt your hull, so they aren't as bad in some ways.  Drones I have no idea, but man are they annoying.
Shields, or perfectly timing your weapons so your projectile hits them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 19, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »

Haha, shooting down drones (or enemy missiles) is just way too much fun.

Unfortunately, they usually just pop another one out, so I will assume the only real defense is to blow up their drone control asap. But that's what pre-igniters and missiles are for!
(Or in the case of the last boss, cloaking and shields?)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:01 pm »

Since the enemy missiles are finite I'd guess the drone parts are as well. It'd be a lot tougher to make them run out, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 19, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

Also, if you want the asphyxiation achievement, I have two words for you: Slug Interceptor

The o2 supply is not connected to anything also, so it just takes a single shot and patience.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 19, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

Forget drones, I hate boarders. Seems like every mid-to-late-game enemy has them, and unless you have a pre-ignitor (only ever seen it once, and it's pricy) and a weapon that can hit through the shields, you'll have a bunch of dudes on your ship wreaking havoc with no easy way to get rid of them. What's worse is that they always seem to hit harder than your own crew, which means that even if you have a numerical advantage you have to constantly rotate guys through the medical bay.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:16 pm »

Forget drones, I hate boarders. Seems like every mid-to-late-game enemy has them, and unless you have a pre-ignitor (only ever seen it once, and it's pricy) and a weapon that can hit through the shields, you'll have a bunch of dudes on your ship wreaking havoc with no easy way to get rid of them. What's worse is that they always seem to hit harder than your own crew, which means that even if you have a numerical advantage you have to constantly rotate guys through the medical bay.
A) They don't hit harder, 1v1 you will win (since your dude gets a extra attack as they walk into the room).
B) If you have upgraded doors you can almost always take out most of their health by venting the air (and kill them when they walk into the shield room with 20 health).
Yes, they can be a pain in the butt, but as long as you have doors upgraded and you have a few crew members they aren't much threat.
Boarding drones are more annoying, but they aren't really that bad as long as you have enough crew members.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 19, 2012, 05:12:38 pm »

Also, is there a bad outcome to encountering alien animals and trying to talk to them? I know bringing them on my ship just kills people. :P
The 6-legged horse things? One time they killed one of my men, another time they gave me free stuff I think. I've managed to get attacked but escape with no deaths I believe.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 19, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

A) They don't hit harder, 1v1 you will win (since your dude gets a extra attack as they walk into the room).
B) If you have upgraded doors you can almost always take out most of their health by venting the air (and kill them when they walk into the shield room with 20 health).
Yes, they can be a pain in the butt, but as long as you have doors upgraded and you have a few crew members they aren't much threat.
Boarding drones are more annoying, but they aren't really that bad as long as you have enough crew members.
It's never 1-on-1 at first, because you can't tell where they're boarding and I've never seen fewer than two board at once. Plus boarders are frequently Mantis men, which will win most 1v1 fights anyway.
Upgraded doors, even level 3 doors, never seem to hold out long, at least not long enough to drain the air. The boarders would have to cut through several sets of doors, choking all the way, to have any effect.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »

Also, is there a bad outcome to encountering alien animals and trying to talk to them? I know bringing them on my ship just kills people. :P
The 6-legged horse things? One time they killed one of my men, another time they gave me free stuff I think. I've managed to get attacked but escape with no deaths I believe.

I never bring them on board. I always try to communicate with them and then they lead me someplace where I get free stuff and an Engi, I believe.
Also often called Boowells.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 19, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »

Hooray, I finally beat the game!  (On Easy  :P)

Used the Bulwark (or, in my game, "Big Bertha").  Managed to have an incredible run of luck in the first few sectors - got plenty of scrap and managed to purchase the teleporter, cloaking and drone control very quickly.  Got a hull repair drone in the second sector, and a defence drone (mk. I) in the third.  Picked up a hull laser I fairly early on, which paired well with the hull missiles.

Then it was boarding, boarding, boarding.  Grabbed a mantis crew member later on, upgraded my teleporter, and went to town.  I had scrap falling out of the vents of my ship by mid-sector 7.

By the time I reached the flagship, I had fully upgraded my shields, engines, cloak and doors, had at least level 2 in all other systems, and was armed with a Hull Missile (Mk. I), Hull Laser I, Hermes missile and (the luckiest find I ever had in sector 7) a Burst Laser III.  Without that, it would've been a struggle.  With it, not a problem.

First thing was to take out the flagship's weapon systems with my boarders.  Not a problem, easy pickings.  My shields could handle everything except the triple torpedo launcher, which my cloak dodged easily.  Then the piece-de-resistance - launched the Hermes and Hull missiles simultaneously into...the medibay.  Forget the shields, forget the engines or the sensors - the medibay.

It caught fire.  And I gleefully beamed in my rockmen boarding party and simply had them sit in the medibay pounding the hell out of any crewman foolish enough to walk in.  Then I also beamed in my mantis crewmember (outside the fiery medibay) and had him run around killing the weakened puny humans.

Somewhat stupidly, I killed all the crew at this point.  I didn't plan ahead particularly, and forgot the warnings about the ship becoming self-repairing.  But oh well.  Beamed my party back out after destroying the shields, and promptly blew up stage one.

Stage two was a bit more aggravating - the boarding drone kept popping up in my shield room with my lone Engi, but I fought it off quickly enough while blowing up the drone control with my missiles (and suppressing shields and weaponry repairs with them immediately afterwards).  Boarders popped back on board briefly to keep key systems (drone control and shields mainly) down while I dodged enemy drone swarms with my cloak and hit the ship with lasers when I had the chance.  Beamed my guys back out just before the final shot.  Phase three.

Phase three...was easy.  No enemy crew means no boarding action.  Just beamed my guys over, took out the shields, then the cockpit to stop it dodging, then the engines for kicks, and then simply went to town with the lasers again - cloaking to avoid the superweapon when needed (although the few times my cloak didn't recharge quick enough weren't a problem - fully upgraded shields and engines meant I either absorbed or dodged all the shots without issue!)

Beamed my guys back over and finished the flagship off with a single hull missile to an empty compartment - from the same hull missile launcher I'd been using since the start of the game.

Feeling immensely satisfied right now.   :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

Fun Fact: The Security Drone and the System Repair Drone can be used in events too.  Learned that from the Plan B Engi Ship...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:11 pm »

It's never 1-on-1 at first, because you can't tell where they're boarding and I've never seen fewer than two board at once. Plus boarders are frequently Mantis men, which will win most 1v1 fights anyway.
Upgraded doors, even level 3 doors, never seem to hold out long, at least not long enough to drain the air. The boarders would have to cut through several sets of doors, choking all the way, to have any effect.
Yeah, its almost never 1v1 (it has happened a few times, but not many), but if it is (and they aren't mantis or rock), then you will win.
I have to disagree, level three doors last a LONG time, yes, you can't get them down from 100->0 if there are more then 1 battering on it, but you can get them down to 25%, and two sets of it will pretty much kill anything short of 4 mantises.

If they tele directly into a vital room (oxegyn, doors) have someone distract them so they don't break it, and vent it as soon as possible, as soon as is vented have him run to the medbay, and they will leave the system alone and try to get out), unless you have like three crew members you should be able to deal with even 4 mantises without that much problems (assuming they don't break your door control with missiles or something).

Yeah, you need to have them cut through multiple doors, if they break into a vital room (and you can't beat them head on) then just leave it, they will hit it once or twice then go and try and escape to a area with air. If you do it properly (and the enemy ship doesn't break a bunch of your systems), then they will all lose most of their health (all the way to dead) without doing any real damage.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:21 pm »

I never bring them on board. I always try to communicate with them and then they lead me someplace where I get free stuff and an Engi, I believe.

If you have a slug crewman, you can communicate with them telepathically, which should give you a positive outcome every time (find a crashed ship with either a piece of equipment or an engi crewmember). Ordinary peaceful communication has no negative outcome, trying to capture them has no positive outcome (you either get nothing or lose a crewmember).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:53:43 pm by Sordid »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

This is pretty fun but to be more of a roguelike they should add what killed you to your entries in the high score list.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 243