Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374160 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #720 on: September 19, 2012, 11:15:53 am »

I managed to unlock and try the stealth ship last night.  I died in sector 1 like 3 times in a row.   :P

4th try I did a lot better, I avoided a lot of fights and managed to pick up a large crew very quickly, and the fights I did do I managed to win by stealthing, then shooting out their shields and beaming their weapons bay.  Managed to get as far as sector 3 when I met a guy with a anti-ship droid. 

It completely pulverized me the moment my cloak came down.  I think next time I'm going to have to save up for those pricey shields.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:01 am »

You know, maybe I can talk Janet into writing a miniguide for the stealth cruiser. It's her favorite ship, and it just seems odd that everyone thinks it's severely under-powered. Though it seems you can mitigate most of it if you know how to use beams (The glave beam can hit about 4 rooms on a ship, that's 12 damage on a ship with no shields, aim for the corners of rooms to get the most of it!) and go for the shield on the first sector (I think the first sector is always a civilian sector, so there should be plenty of shops).

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:20 am »

I think the stealth ship was made for avoiding fights and dangerous encounters, so the player would have a different approach to the game, but the biggest problem with that is that currently the only way to beat the game involves fighting a mega flagship armed to the teeth. If there were another ways to complete the game rather then just exploding everything, then the stealth ship would probably be the best ship to achieve that goal with.

Like, instead of fighting the rebel fleet head on, you could try to bypass its defenses and eventualy arrive at the rebel home system and plant bombs at the HQ. It'd be neat to have different ways to beat the game.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:37:47 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 19, 2012, 11:42:54 am »

Woo, finally unlocked the Zoltan Cruiser! Also on a decent track to get the Kestrel Plan B unlocked.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:37 pm »

I feel this game really penalizes honorable captainship. I was always playing as a captain with a certain code of honor. I always help out civilians, and lend help in any situation, I never attack without provocation, I always accept surrenders and never disable fleeing ships in the one exception of rebel scouts that are about to report my location to the main fleet. My rewards are minimum scrap and swift death. If I was a murdering asshole, I would fare much better for it...
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »

recover from 1 HP? always die.

Do what I did and just get to an asteroid field. Kill whatever ship is hanging around so you won't be bother then drop your shields and let the asteroids bring you down to one. Make sure there is a nearby shop with a clear route to it. 
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »

I just managed to get Tough Little Ship legitimately (through combat damage and a lucky nearby shop), and if I hadn't been focusing on increasing engine power I probably would have died :o
Kestral laybout B get!

I doubt this run will see a victory, but at least I unlocked something.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 19, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »

I feel this game really penalizes honorable captainship. I was always playing as a captain with a certain code of honor. I always help out civilians, and lend help in any situation, I never attack without provocation, I always accept surrenders and never disable fleeing ships in the one exception of rebel scouts that are about to report my location to the main fleet. My rewards are minimum scrap and swift death. If I was a murdering asshole, I would fare much better for it...
Well it's kinda stupid to lend help if you can't (f.e. don't have the equipment to) help. Also, you might pride yourself on not attacking pirates and slavers, but that just means they get to rob/enslave more. Attack them, then demand surrender (surrender usually means more fuel/missiles than complete destruction).
I'm not sure we can afford the old time captain's honor in this war.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »

well, role you can't do, game only if the rng wants to, we're left with just play?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »

Y'know, I've never gotten fuel from a surrendering ship. If I'm running low, I will actually finish them off because I tend to have better luck that way.

Also, I have never once had a Zoltan crew member. I've had one slug and I managed to find the crystal crew member once, but never a Zoltan. Not even at shops.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 19, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »

Y'know, I've never gotten fuel from a surrendering ship. If I'm running low, I will actually finish them off because I tend to have better luck that way.
I think the game just rerolls the result if the ship is destroyed after surrender is refused.  So, if the ship is offering what you need, you accept.  If not, you destroy them and get whatever else the RNG is in the mood to give.  Yeah, I've noticed that if a surrendering ship is offering X, then if I refuse and destroy I will never get X.

Also, I have never once had a Zoltan crew member. I've had one slug and I managed to find the crystal crew member once, but never a Zoltan. Not even at shops.
Well, the Zoltan Cruiser is relatively easy to get. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Zoltan even give you a weapon after the mission, so its worth doing even if you've already unlocked the Zoltan Cruiser.

For those trying to get all the ships, I found this forum post helpful, even though I haven't gotten them all either.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 19, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »

I nearly got the Zoltan cruiser once, but screwed up during the dialog portion. I even accepted the surrender offer of the enemy ship, hoping that it would be enough, but no dice :P

Current run is the same as the last one I posted about, getting the TLS achievement. Still alive, with both a rock and a slug crewmen, four humans, a Glaive beam and the Bio-Beam. Also have cloaking. I dunno if this is a win-worthy run so far, but this isn't turning out so badly.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:12 pm »

never been able to unlock the kestrel's achievements.

all systems and subsystems? too expensive.
all crew members? shops don't have them/not enough random events

Its easy enough if you play, well, on easy and instead of destroying ships, you can just keep asploding their life support. They'll eventualy asphyxiate, leaving you with the intact ship, which is worth quite a bit more scrap then just destroying it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:51 pm »

never been able to unlock the kestrel's achievements.

all systems and subsystems? too expensive.
all crew members? shops don't have them/not enough random events

Its easy enough if you play, well, on easy and instead of destroying ships, you can just keep asploding their life support. They'll eventualy asphyxiate, leaving you with the intact ship, which is worth quite a bit more scrap then just destroying it.
Well yeah, but then you are playing on easy.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 19, 2012, 02:25:31 pm »

Just beat it! (but it was on easy) Kestrel A, just with lots of lasers that fire multiple shots.  Shields == down even if 1/2 miss.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 243