Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374203 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #645 on: September 18, 2012, 03:00:49 pm »

Heres my general upgrade pattern...

1: Save for Tele - 75
2: Upgrade Sensors - 25
3: Upgrade Doors - 20
4: Save for Cloak - 150
5: Upgrade Engines + Power - Varies on Ship
6: Upgrade Shields + Power - x2 - Varies on Ship
7: Upgrade Weapons + Power - Varies on Ship
8: Upgrade Cloak + Power - May shift higher sometimes
9: Repeat 5-8
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 18, 2012, 03:02:20 pm »

Well, for some reason, Deon managed to unintentionally move me to recolor the ships myself. If anyone is interested, here are my efforts, keeping the simple vanilla style as best I can (what the fudge is the lighting angle on that thing?!), but changing the looks of several things. If you want to use it, I'd suggest asking me, as I already redid the gibs and cloak too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enemy ship stole my boarders again. I hate it when that happens.
Maybe your boarders just decided to quit their mission and instead take a joyride through space in a different ship. :P

I go shields, then engines, doors, then what's cheap and useful.
I go weapons or shields, then the one I missed, then droids if any, then cockpit. It depends on how many guns the ship has.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »

Anybody have tips on what to upgrade first and when?  I never have any idea how to focus my spending.

I usually try to get my shields up to 2 (4 power) first, and try to put a point or two into engines.  Sometimes I put a point into autopiloting as well, as its kind of handy at the start when you don't have a lot of crew.  After that it depends on if I find nice weapons or not. 

I don't usually start thinking of upgrading doors, sensors, oxygen or medbays until sector 6ish.

By the end of the game, I generally hope to have 3 (6 power) shields, 5 engines, 2 of all the secondary stuff and a drone bay with one defense drone.  My weapons seem to vary a lot, I usually just take whatever I can find and try to power it as much as I can +1 power.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:09:51 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »

I generally hold off on upgrading until at least the 2nd sector, since you don't generally need to do much to get through the 1st. After that it depends on what I've managed to acquire. Generally ends up being reactor, shields, and weapons/droids. Sometimes scanners, if I've gotten an anti-personnel weapon or Transporters.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 18, 2012, 03:33:18 pm »

Since I've finally had a somewhat successful run, (could have beat the last boss if I wasn't herp derp stupid and not realized I could go back to the same heal point between fights), this is what I've found is my most successful strategy:

First, take out enemy cockpit. Either with borders or missile or even just standard weapons, but taking it out means ever following shot is going to hit. For enemies with heavy shields, that's important!

Then I generally go for weapons/drones, depending on which seems to be the biggest threat. Usually weapons, but not always, and usually just enough damage to work around them.

My boarders will try to keep their cockpit tied up, if possible, to insure my concentrated fire gets where I'm aiming it, and after threat neutralization, I take it shields to maximize damage.

Then I usually go for keeping all of those and the med bays disabled (with a primary focus on the medbays) to allow boarders to do their work.

Another side benefit of the cockpit destruction is that from then on I can only do exactly as much damage as I need to so as to disable stuff, so my weapon fire can be spread around to keep everything suppressed without having to deal with luck.

Of course, I am by no means one of the better players here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:36:37 pm by GlyphGryph »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »

Is there any reason to hit controls vs engine or vise versa?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

Cockpit dead means no dodge + No FTL Gen
Engine dead means less dodge + No FTL Gen
So not really sure...

Can I also say... FUCKING MISSILES!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:: Wow, Red Tail is great at shutting down Sector 1 and most of Sector 2 shit. For weapons shooting differently can help in shutting it down.
1 Hit anywhere for Shields. 2 Hit Cockpit. 3/4 hit weapons...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:44:05 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:28 pm »

Argh! Damn RNG, I was having such a good run, and then you decide to stop spawning shops to repair at right when I start getting wrecked!

For reference, I had 123 scrap to repair my ship with. This was after I had paid at least a hundred or so on shields, and at least a hundred and fifty on weapons and the stuff needed to support them. I also had at least 3 drones in my cargo hold to sell. And I had a scrap arm.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:54 pm »

Control has a max level (and thus health) of three. Dead engines will take away all dodge though. (Just like dead control)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 18, 2012, 03:42:05 pm »

Engines tend to have more health and are thus more difficult to take down. Also they tend to be in 4square rooms which are more dangerous for boarders.

One 2 power missile is usually more than enough to take down almost any cockpit in the game, and at worst you just need to deal a single point more of damage.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:26 pm »

Argh! Damn RNG, I was having such a good run, and then you decide to stop spawning shops to repair at right when I start getting wrecked!

For reference, I had 123 scrap to repair my ship with. This was after I had paid at least a hundred or so on shields, and at least a hundred and fifty on weapons and the stuff needed to support them. I also had at least 3 drones in my cargo hold to sell. And I had a scrap arm.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me. I really like the runs where I get a Repair Arm or Hull Repair Droids. So much more reliable!

I hadn't thought about the engine health issue. Good point!
Come play Mafia with us!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 18, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »

Sigh....
Asteroids + Beam Drone + Zoltan Shield FOE = DEATH!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

The RNG in this game loves to screw me over, it seems. I got to the final sector, and noticed that the repair points were all relatively close by. Within two jumps however, all of them had been taken over by the rebels. I couldn't reach any of them even if I had tried!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:31 pm »

The RNG is trying to troll me. Remember how I complained about the lack of shops?

Well, this game, there are three shops very close to another in a line. Likely so close that they all connect. Two are right next to the entrance to the sector.

RNG, where was this crap last game?!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »

Do Engi ships get some hidden bonus to weapon blindess or something?

Honestly how you can miss with 3 different weapons 10 times in a row? >:(

And it was 1-shield auto-scout (with the 4dmg missile launcher). Just, arrrrgh!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 243