Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374205 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #630 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »

How do you get the Stealth Ship's "completely kill an enemy during a single cloak" achievement? I just killed a rebel automated scout in 1 volley, while stealthed, and did not get the achievement.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

Strategy question: I often see people say that you should explore everything in a sector before leaving, but I'm only able to get about halfway through before the rebels catch up to me. Are other people simply risking the rebels when they explore? Or is there some trick to this that I don't see?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 18, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

If you manage to get the improved FTL drives, then you can risk going to the Exit, then wandering around until you feel like leaving since at most, if you're smart about it, then you'll only have to face a single Advanced Fighter, which you can probably jump away from anyway since it'll just give a single bit of fuel.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »

well, you discover what is in your neighbouring sector, so you can cover most map by careful pathing trough it.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »

if you turn off the game, you won't be allowed to continue it.

I've heard this once or twice before. When you press escape, isn't there a save + quit option near the bottom? There is on my copy.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

Damn the RNG today. Started playing the mantis ship, kept getting heavily shielded AI ships in asteroid belts or near suns early. Tried the stealth ship now, got three or four ships with beam/anti ship drones and/or beam weapons in the first sector. Got taken out by a five-mantis boarding raid in the second sector.

Edit: Also, why doesn't evades during cloak give piloting/engines experience? It's amazingly difficult to level up those with the stealth ship.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:17:16 pm by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:28 pm »

Unluckiest woman alive? Or luckiest?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The *entire* ship was on fire. I had to vent everything. The other crewmembers held out in the Sensor room for a while, before fire overtook them too. Then the door controls caught fire and busted. Beth is the captain, and had to run through several firey rooms to reach the door control, which was also on fire. It took her all the way down to 8hp remaining before she got the blaze under control, and by that time, the rest of the ship was extinguished due to no oxygen.

Then she had to sit there, mostly dead, repairing the doors so I could close everything up and start refilling the ship with air. How the O2 room didn't catch fire... if it had, she would've been totally screwed. Once the O2 came back, she had to drag herself to medbay, fix that too, before she could heal up.

And now she continues her vital journey... Alone.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 18, 2012, 02:21:29 pm »

That. Is. AMAZING. :P

Forum Achievement Gained : Back from the Brink

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 18, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

How do you get the Stealth Ship's "completely kill an enemy during a single cloak" achievement? I just killed a rebel automated scout in 1 volley, while stealthed, and did not get the achievement.
I think it works like this: 1) Make no damage before cloaking. 2) Deliver all of it during cloak, and stay cloaked till the window with the after battle overview is displayed.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »

Enemy ship stole my boarders again. I hate it when that happens.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »

I like how people always say "TARGET THE SHIELDS FIRST!!!" When in truth you target the weapons then the cockpit then the shields if they are still up... Targeting the Weapons first and forthmost means that you take little to no damage, the cockpit so they can't FTL RUN LIKE COWARDS and finally shields so that you can finish them off...

If boarding...
Weapons - Cockpit - Medbay (if there)
Weapons so they can't hurt you.
Cockpit so they can't run with your men.
Medbay so they can't heal while fighting.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 18, 2012, 02:55:42 pm »

Anybody have tips on what to upgrade first and when?  I never have any idea how to focus my spending.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 18, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »

That's my general strategy, although it depends a bit on what weapons you have. If your lasers aren't powerful enough to take down the shields on their own I'll often hit the shields with a missile to take them down and use my lasers to blast the weapons.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 18, 2012, 02:57:54 pm »

well, if you have a shield avoiding ship makes sense to hold the other weapons a bit.

so artemis on shield, burst on weapons, artemis on cockpit, burst on weapons etc. but I scale missiles usage to the enemy threat level.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »

I go shields, then engines, doors, then what's cheap and useful.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 243