Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374250 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »

Remember Ender's game. The enemy gate is down. Don't waste time on the rebel ships that aren't the flagship. Jump straight to it. The federation ships are just stalling for you so you can achieve final victory.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 17, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »

The repair stations are basically there just to mock us :/
I think it would help to have the upgraded FTL drive that lets you return to any location you've visited, but it doesn't seem worth the cost.  I don't think repair stations can be reused, either, so you'd have to avoid it on the way out and still sacrifice three jumps.

Stupid sexy repair stations.

(I love the Rock sector music)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »

Several of these achievements seem like they almost require you to sabotage yourself. "Don't upgrade your weapons until sector 5." Well... yeah... If I don't do that I"m going to have to run from a bunch of battles, costing be scrap, plus it'd probably help a lot if I had better engines and shields than I normally would... more scrap. By the time I get to sector 5 I'm ready to just say... "You know what? The Federation really wasn't all that great anyway. Viva la Revolution!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2012, 09:46:41 pm »

Several of these achievements seem like they almost require you to sabotage yourself. "Don't upgrade your weapons until sector 5." Well... yeah... If I don't do that I"m going to have to run from a bunch of battles, costing be scrap, plus it'd probably help a lot if I had better engines and shields than I normally would... more scrap. By the time I get to sector 5 I'm ready to just say... "You know what? The Federation really wasn't all that great anyway. Viva la Revolution!"

I've actually survived okay with the default ship and not upgrading anything until sector five. Killing the boss afterwards is the problem.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »

I actually just got that achievement. I wasn't particularly pacifist, I upgraded the siege laser and had a basic repair drone.  I was fortunate to find a fire bomb, which is slow but pierces shields like the laser.

I'd avoid nebulae, though (thanks spellcheck!)  The laser drains the special zoltan shield layer by about half instead of piercing it.

(To be fair, though, I died to the flagship.  I found a weapon preigniter and attempted to stockpile lasers, but didn't get enough to break the boss.  I should have focused on shield-piercing missiles and bombs instead)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:21:06 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

The repair stations are basically there just to mock us :/
I think it would help to have the upgraded FTL drive that lets you return to any location you've visited, but it doesn't seem worth the cost.  I don't think repair stations can be reused, either, so you'd have to avoid it on the way out and still sacrifice three jumps.

Stupid sexy repair stations.

(I love the Rock sector music)

Generally, I think the Upgraded FTL Drive is the best non-combat attachment.  Granted, it doesn't make you any better in-battle, so you might prefer something that actually helps you win conflicts, but it opens up soooo many possiblities.  Best example: Exit system is rather close to your starting location.  Ordinarily, this means the sector just isn't going to give you much scrap.  With Upgraded FTL, you just visit the exit system, then stroll around a bit, then just before the Rebels close to the exit system, you jump in and flee.

Harsh lesson #43: A single Zoltan can't fix the O2 Generator when the room has no oxygen.  It ALWAYS dies prior to finishing the repair due to its low health.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

Unless it has atleast 1 level of Repair, EuchreJack.  Then it can, if just barely.  Maxed out, and it becomes just as fast as a standard Engi.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:25 pm »

People use zoltan for stuff other than sitting in the shield room?  :P That being said the utility of rockmen are hard to beat.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »

Zoltan are kind of a pain to deal with in shield or weapon rooms. They're always screwing up the power managment in my games. I tend to stick them somewhere like engines or O2 unless I'm low on crew.

Also, the Red-Tail is so much fun. I just have to remember to upgrade occasionally. Built up 400 scrap on normal before I realized I was getting my ass kicked, and by then it was too late.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »

Finally got to the Boss! Didn't win, because I never found any really good weapons other than my breach missile. I had a bunch of weaker weapons, but the 3 weapon limit on the Engi ship hurt me there. The breach missile helped, but it just isn't fast enough to win on its own. Also didn't have enough droid parts to keep my defense drones and hull repair guys going long enough.

Still, it was a great run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »

Zoltan are really useful on the engi ship, since you can power down the med-bay (which you should always be doing) and keep the Zoltan in say... Weapons or something. Then when you need to have the shipwide heal, just run him over there.

Sure, they're kinda useless for almost anything else... but remember that for things like this. One guy doesn't make that much of a difference. But a Zoltan crew of 4 for example, will have 4 extra energy you can toss into say... a fully upgraded artillery beam. Even two can mean an extra weapon in a fight or bonus shields. Pretty useful that.

Just like how one mantis is kinda meeeeh... but 2 or more is a party.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »

I actually just got that achievement. I wasn't particularly pacifist, I upgraded the siege laser and had a basic repair drone.  I was fortunate to find a fire bomb, which is slow but pierces shields like the laser.

Even with avoiding upgrades I still don't have the pacifist achievement.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:09 pm »

Sure, they're kinda useless for almost anything else... but remember that for things like this. One guy doesn't make that much of a difference. But a Zoltan crew of 4 for example, will have 4 extra energy you can toss into say... a fully upgraded artillery beam. Even two can mean an extra weapon in a fight or bonus shields. Pretty useful that.

29+ bars of energy is wonderful. You can have so many big guns and drones.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:55 pm »

Woot, third win.  This time with the Kestral layout 2.  I learned that you can visit repair locations in sector 8 multiple times.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2012, 12:25:30 am »

The Type B Kestral is probably my favourite ship so far. It's good all around, good crew, decent firepower, and a nice layout that quite easily lets you vent whatever you want.

I just won a game with the Mantis Cruiser, and since so many people have done screenshots, I figured I'd do one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone know what the MFK on the emblem of the rebel flagship stands for?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 243