Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374278 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #420 on: September 16, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »

Woot!  Managed to win Normal mode with the Layout 1 Kestral.  :)  Firebombs are hilarious!

Gratz!

Those firebombs are the reason I am interested in trying out the Zoltan ship. If the hardened shield of that ship works the same as the one on the flagship in that it blocks boarders until it is down then I would have a huge advantage since I would have a big chance of hurting any potential borders stacking on the teleport pad or even taking it out entirely before they can even get to me. But that is for tomorrow. Still have one BO3 to watch on the SC2 WCS Europe finals and then sleep for uni :p
It does block them, which is super useful, since you know they are coming and can vent 90% of your ship before they get there, and then they get there and suffocate before they can do anything (unless you get unlucky and they teleport directly into a crewed room).

However, I don't think (I might be wrong however) they will just sit in the teleporter room, preferring to wander around the ship fixing things, you do have a decent chance of destroying the teleporter if you focus on it, but the Zoltan also has doors upgraded at start, so boarders aren't really much of a threat, meaning you should probably focus on the rest of their ship.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 16, 2012, 05:06:27 pm »

I just started playing this and I gotta say its far more fun then it seemed to be on all the youtube lets plays. I got the engi ship but I've been exploding halfway to the final system because I'm still figuring out how to properly build it and RANDOM MANTIS RAIDS raep engis. Haven't unlocked any other ship yet though.
Trying to find out how to unlock the zoltan one.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »

I had my best run so far. Layout 1 Kestral.

After getting high bribes from enemies pleading for mercy, I bought myself Drone control room.

Ye gods, drones are wonderful. With both Defence and Assault drone, I was able to kill any ship that had 3 or even 4 shields. Drones + lasers + artemis where it hurts = win. I was basically pulverizing everything and managed to max out shields and get everything else pretty high.

Got near the end of second-to-last sector when suddenly a rebel ship with missiles and drones attacked me. Those bastards also teleported firebombs. By some curel will of RNG, first to go were doors with the missile spam. Then, fire began devouring my shields and weapons control. With doors inoperable, venting wasn't an option.

I did manage to knock some of the enemy's shields and weapons but I knew I was going to get killed if I don't run away!

By the time I got FTL engine online, half of the ship was in flames, with human crewmen huddling in medbay/pilot room and my only Rock trying frantically to get the door control online.

Because rebel fleet was already at my previous, safe beacons, I had to jump into unknown.

And I did. Straight into maw of a fresh pirate ship. It had three Mark 2 burst lasers, which means 9 laser bolts simultaneously. My ship lasted for about 5 seconds before it was turned to swiss cheese with all those lasers.

Resit in pieces, USS Maverick, you were fine ship, and so was your crew v:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:19:09 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »

Played about 8 hours.
I unlocked engi ship on my first run, but no clue on unlocking other ships.
This is... getting annoying.
I've only managed to get to the final boss twice :/  Even on easy, this game is hard.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

Played about 8 hours.
I unlocked engi ship on my first run, but no clue on unlocking other ships.
This is... getting annoying.
I've only managed to get to the final boss twice :/  Even on easy, this game is hard.
I remember when I first met my rebel flagship, it went stealth the moment we met, and the moment its stealth field dispersed...
my god, it fired 4 missiles in a row and it ALL landed on my poor captain's face. RIP Atreyu
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2012, 06:09:14 pm »

I hate enemy ships with tons of scatter laser burst thingies. I mean, if they have two of those (and sometimes they do, along with a bajillion missile launchers that set fire to everything they happen to be within a mile of) that'll get past essentially all of your shields, then still hit 2 or 3 essential systems...

I think the runs that have been the most successful for me have been the ones where I get lucky and get a good weapon right at the beginning. Then I can take out everything all the way to sector 4 or so without taking much damage, which makes me get shields 2 and then tons of engine. Which upgrades all of my crew, and I get an insane amount of evasion.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »

I just had a pretty good run. I think I might even have been able to defeat the boss if I had more than 2 hull points by the time I got to it. Or if less than 5 of my crew had died getting me there, but I still unlocked two new ships, so I guess that's what counts.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2012, 06:43:19 pm »

Gah! My ship didn't start filling with oxygen even after the system was repaired! I only realized after everyone died that I probably forgot to power it.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »

I have still yet to beat the Boss with the Kestle.  I've beat 'em with the Type 2, the Engi and its Type 2, and even the Type 1 of the advaned Federation ship thingy; but still not with the Kestle.

Last time I tried, I got boarded during the second fight; but was able to contain the enemy outside of all of my manned rooms.  I opened up the doors, and started venting to try to kill them... only to realize I hadn't upgraded my oxygen system, and couldn't replenish the air fast enough to keep the rest of the ship from decompressing. XD So I ended up killing my entire crew within two seconds of killing the enemy boarders.  So fun, and yet so wrong. Hahahaha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »

>disables shields with ion cannon
>shields continue to replenish

The fuck, game? I'd be able to win this fight if you stopped damn cheating >.>

I think it only disables a certain amount of shields.  I've had my shields disabled by ion cannons where it only removes 2 or 4 of my powerbars worth of shields.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »

Finally tried easy mode... First time I died to a stupid mistake of my own. (Lost half my crew to an ill thought out boarding attempt and it just went downhill from there)

Second try though, got all the way to Sector 8, phase 2. I didn't know for sure what to do, and things were all kinds of spread out so I ended up screwing around and wasting a few jumps before I got into battle. Took the first phase out with only minor troubles, repaired, attacked the second phase and got completely owned by the drones. Jumped out before I died, but I couldn't make it back into battle in time and lost.

At one point I had 400 scrap and only two crew. I just outright bought 3 crew from a store, along with a nifty beam weapon. A few more battles and I was back up to 400 again.

I really feel like Easy piles the scrap on you, but I guess you need it for that final showdown. I never felt threatened by any of the battles leading up to that, but I did get lucky and get a couple of nifty shield piercing breach weapons and a pre-igniter, so most dangerous enemies had both their shields and weapons heavily damaged before they could do a thing. The less dangerous ones I just took out with the lasers. I also at one point had 35 missiles and over 30 fuel... something i never saw in Normal.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »

Finished the boss for the second time, this time on normal, and with the type B kestrel, it was a pretty damn good run, not a single person died, and I kicked loads of ass and picked up the stealth cruiser along the way... Although I never seem to do well with any other ship than the kestrel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2012, 08:10:44 pm »

Finally got around to trying this.  I'm really impressed, I didn't think I'd like the way the game was set up, I was hoping for something more open-ended but they pulled it off.

Giving your people names is cool too, satisfies that age-old Oregon Trail "See how your friends die" game-within-a-game.  Right now Captain Aqizzar, Gunnery Sergeant Vester, and Engineer Duke 2.0 are making pretty good headway.
Shoes...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2012, 08:27:25 pm »

I only wish it was possible to rename crew once you start the game.

Look at the fun fun galaxy that I rolled:

This is gonna hurt.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »

Well I finished uploading the second half of my first game ever. You can watch it here
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 243