Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374319 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:47 am »

So does anyone else "train" their units?

Find an enemy with a weak weapon and just... sit around, until engine man and pilot man are at max (for a cool +20% dodge boost), same with shield guy (easier with another point of shield), and then use a weak weapon to train the weapon reload guy early on?
Oh hey, great idea. I just did that and now I hate this game because the possibility of doing so is a sign of horribly bad game design. Yay!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:47 am »

Umm, its a sign of using a skill based system that is improved with use. If your using one of those then somewhere in the game near guaranteed you will be able to do such a thing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2012, 03:50:32 am »

Umm, its a sign of using a skill based system that is improved with use. If your using one of those then somewhere in the game near guaranteed you will be able to do such a thing.
The game should have failsafes to prevent such crap. The simplest one would be having the enemy run away after a set time of not doing any damage.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2012, 03:50:58 am »

The sensible thing to do would be to have some kind of exponential system, so weak enemies/attacks/etc offer little reward for higer skill levels... did anyone else here spam thier way to high skils in Morrowind by sticking the jump button down for 6 hours? Or using a rubber band to swim into a wall for 3 hours?
This is a blank sig.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2012, 03:53:02 am »

The failsafe would be really easy. Simply set a limit to the number of XP you can gain in a single battle (15 for weapons, 10 for shields, engines and piloting).

Yes, it is pretty bad game design, but its not like its the end of the world.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2012, 03:53:14 am »

So does anyone else "train" their units?

Find an enemy with a weak weapon and just... sit around, until engine man and pilot man are at max (for a cool +20% dodge boost), same with shield guy (easier with another point of shield), and then use a weak weapon to train the weapon reload guy early on?
Oh hey, great idea. I just did that and now I hate this game because the possibility of doing so is a sign of horribly bad game design. Yay!

If you unlock the 2nd version of the Egri cruiser, you'll find that sort of thing occurs naturally when you face a Rebel Auto-Scout with 2 shields.  Basically, its default weapons just can't penetrate 2 shields (unless there is some trick with alternating fire, but I couldn't see it).  But, if the scout spawns properly, its weapon's won't be able to penetrate your shields either.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2012, 04:01:07 am »

The failsafe would be really easy. Simply set a limit to the number of XP you can gain in a single battle (15 for weapons, 10 for shields, engines and piloting).

That would be bad too(arbitrary limits are always bad), a better thing would be to have the rebel fleet advance if you stay to long in one sector.

Also, some ships try to escape, but most don't.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2012, 04:05:30 am »

That would be bad too(arbitrary limits are always bad), a better thing would be to have the rebel fleet advance if you stay to long in one sector.

Now that's a good solution! I really like this idea

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2012, 04:09:53 am »

Ill never understand how on here for some reason objective game design became the measuring stick if a game is worthwhile. I'd rather just have fun, even if it's kinda broken. Hell X-Com is about as broken as someone after jumping off a skyscraper and no one calls it horrible for it. Hell it's not even what I'd call a game design issue, it's an exploit. Not some deep fault in the core design and systems of the game.

Anyway. Anyone else that beat the game also feeling a bit underwhelmed with the Federation Cruiser? It's got a cool little unique sub-system as far as I know, but otherwise it actually almost feels to me like a more wimpy Kestrel. Starting with 4 crew is nice though.

Now that's a good solution! I really like this idea

I agree too. Right now it's too easy to repair everything after a fight since you get to spend forever on a point. My first few games were more frantic until I realized I had pretty much infinite time so long as I wasn't jumping like a maniac.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:14 am »

The desing of the Slug Interceptors you occasionally meet is just terribad. I shot one missile into their life support systems... Then waited for the enemy to suffocate. They have no access to that part of the ship.

Some nice cruelty potential here.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 16, 2012, 05:08:14 am »

Hell it's not even what I'd call a game design issue, it's an exploit. Not some deep fault in the core design and systems of the game.
I dont quite understand the distinction though. Exploits are applications of bad design.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2012, 05:27:57 am »

Okay this was one of the runs that did not go according to plan hah.

I set out trying to get the stealth cruiser but ended up picking up a zoltan guy pretty early so I decided to change it for the zoltan ship. Anyways I managed to get to the zoltan world and really pushed my limit trying to get the encounter there but no luck. I did manage to pick up a teleporter for the first time though so I thought I would try it out.

1) Do not teleport onto automated ships... they have no oxygen. Farewell sweet mantis.
2) Taking out all the weapons on the flagship is fun. I did still fail the fight though since they kestrel can only teleport two people at a time and that just isn't enough to take out any of the other rooms since they will dance crew members in and out to deal with you. This lead to me failing since my boarding party could do no more damage and my weaponry consisted of the burst laser, pike beam and fire beam, as in I could not penetrate their shields. Technically I like to think I didn't fail though since they could do no damage to me either :p

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 16, 2012, 06:13:24 am »

On my latest run, I've managed to pick up two rock crewmen and a teleporter around the same time.  I'm having fun.

I also got a Breach Missile, which is even more fun.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:54 am »

you should see the halberd beam it's like a tin can opener for space ships

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #359 on: September 16, 2012, 06:28:51 am »

Hell it's not even what I'd call a game design issue, it's an exploit. Not some deep fault in the core design and systems of the game.
I dont quite understand the distinction though. Exploits are applications of bad design.
   Is the quantum stockpile an exploit in Dwarf Fortress or is it bad design? That is something I can say is an exploit though you may have a different opinion and there is the rub. The difference tends to be based on opinion when it comes to these things so there is no line in the sand, just your own feelings. For FTL I am going to say its an exploit that you can grind skill because that is not what the system was designed for nor intended for. It would not surprise me that if the exploit is used to create a lot of inflated scores that if would be patched in some way.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 243