Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372701 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »

I've played a bit, and it is very interesting. I don't know how much replayability has in it and how far it goes the travel, but so far playtrought have been very different even without unlocking ships and stuff.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2012, 03:54:42 am »

I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

The one thing I'm not happy with is that it's very common for me never to be able to purchase enough weapons to be able to counter the shield 3 ships that show up later in the game. There's nothing I can do about them. I've been using the Engi ship, which I really like, but... my games seem to go one of the following ways:
1) Find immensely overpowered ship that blows me to bits
2) Shops do not sell weapons, so I only have an ion thing which removes 1 shield, 2 at the most and a drone that downs 1 shield. This is not enough for shield 3 ships
3) I find weapons but in order to survive I have to up my evasion quite a bit and never get around to having multiple weapons working. I mean, it takes over 100 scrap to get 2 more slots of weapons systems and power!

Other than that, I wish it had a little more tactical depth, and hotkeys for selecting crew.

It's still a really nice game!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2012, 04:17:32 am »

I have the repeating blaster or whatever they're called, when sync firing on the shield they do a good job of setting it on fire and shortening the fight.

it's all about minmaxing

always keep an eye on the power-to-damage ratio (i.e. the lvl 3 repeater is worse than two level 2 - if you have space) and try to put shot strategically: first down the shield with repeaters then hit with the heavy weapons, or use a shield bypassing weapon to hit the shield room and then fire on enemy weapons/drones/whatever

all in all, there is a lot of depth in the combat.

btw, I *hate* that after you close an event/encounter window, the game is not in a paused state
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:43:36 am by LoSboccacc »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »

Well, again, my problem with the Engi ship is that if you want a second weapon, you have to buy it, then power it. That's around 40-60 for a cheapo weapon, plus around 90 for two weapon slots,  and then another 45-50 for the power. The main gun doesn't actually do damage, so you're relying on drones.

I dunno, it seems like it's really hard to get the right stuff to succeed with the Engi. I guess I should go back and try the original Kestrel for a while :)

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2012, 04:48:31 pm »

Well, the stealth ship needs 150 for shields, then another 50 for the level two upgrade, plus another 90 or so for the energy to power it.

Shit be expensive in scrap, yo.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »

Well, again, my problem with the Engi ship is that if you want a second weapon, you have to buy it, then power it. That's around 40-60 for a cheapo weapon, plus around 90 for two weapon slots,  and then another 45-50 for the power. The main gun doesn't actually do damage, so you're relying on drones.

I dunno, it seems like it's really hard to get the right stuff to succeed with the Engi. I guess I should go back and try the original Kestrel for a while :)
Its not. You don't really need to rely on weapons.
Drones are pretty cheap, and 2 attack+1 defense+ion blaster is very doable by the end of the game (or if lucky 2-3 areas earlier), which is enough to take down level three shields on its own, while keeping you safe from missiles.
If you can complement that with a teleportation pad then you have very powerful offense (not as powerful as you can get with a dedicated offense with multiple weapons , but the missile defense drone and the fact that you can put everything on auto so you can focus on your boarding party pretty much makes up for it), while being able to have (if you can build the shield up to two at least) pretty decent defense.
Also, keep in mind that for the engi ship a missile or some teleportation weapon would probably be better then another regular weapon (since due to the drones its a bit sporadic and when the shields go down).

Also, keep in mind that if you can get the drone retrieval ability you can just throw all your drones out to fight every battle, which makes you very powerful and without any real resource limitations.

That said, I haven't won with the Engi ship (due to me screwing up a bit during the boss fight (like not knowing they have improved blast doors and teleporting my rock+mantis boarding party into their healing room to try to shut it down, leaving me without good offensive options for the next stage of the battle), or running out of missiles for the second phase) but I have a ~50% chance at this stage to get to the final part, which is better then I get with the Kestrel.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »

Woo!

Finally managed to defeat the Rebel Flagship (on easy.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Put under spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:01:03 am by AlStar »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2012, 03:45:23 am »

Spoilers, man, spoilers! I haven't played the game yet!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2012, 04:21:40 am »

Well, I never really went for lots of drones with the Engi ship (though that seems to be what it's meant for) because I've never actually SEEN the drone retrieval ability! I usually run out of drone parts by the time I get close to the end areas, especially if I've accumulated 2 drones...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2012, 04:25:37 am »

Spoilers, man, spoilers! I haven't played the game yet!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2012, 12:30:06 am »

Lucky bastards.... Having money....
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2012, 04:54:49 am »

It cost like $10! They happened to let us $10 backers have fun a week or two before the official launch :)

Also, it should be coming reaaaaaaaaaaal soon :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2012, 06:09:37 am »

EHRMAGEHRG

I just won with the Kestrel! :D:D:D

So, I'm finding the following. Long-range scanners are a huge must. They will make you be able to up resources before going to stores and avoid fights when you're low on HP or resources. Also, I was supper lucky to find a Burst Laser Mk I almost at the beginning. This made killing pretty much everyone in the first half of the game almost trivial. A simple weapons upgrade got me 5 shots, which will go through most shields and still do a bunch of damage. With that firepower I accumulated tons of resources, crew and subsystems. The ship was almost fully upgraded by the time I took out the rebel flagship :D

Man, that felt good. KAPOW-OW!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:07 am »

I think that if you're short on money other games offers more bang for the buck.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2012, 10:22:15 am »

I think that if you're short on money other games offers more bang for the buck.

While I won't go so far as to say you're wrong (after all, there are a number of free games that one can play)... I've got 18 hours logged, have only beaten the game on easy and still have 4 ships (and a number of alt-versions) locked.

Given that I paid $10, that's like .50c an hour, and given how hard normal has been kicking my ass, it looks like I've got a lot more time to go.

Now, does that compare to (checks Steam list) ~.14c/hr of Bloodbowl ($30/219hrs) or ~.10c/hr of Sword of the Stars ($20/201hrs)  or heck, ~.07c/hr for Terraria ($5/68hrs)? No, not yet... But I think I could get it down to a quarter per hour before I'm done with it.  Beats going to the movies or the bar.

It's also the kind of space adventure game that I've been waiting for a new version of since Strange Adventures in Infinite Space way back in 2002!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 243