Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372608 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

Posting to watch.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 04:00:51 am »

I already have onlive, but my internet is so crappy it refuses to work. Yes, it flat out refuses to work for me. Here's a screenshot:

what's behind the connection faq link?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:49 am »

I already have onlive, but my internet is so crappy it refuses to work. Yes, it flat out refuses to work for me. Here's a screenshot:

what's behind the connection faq link?
http://support.onlive.com/. I don't have the required minimum connection speed, and sometimes the latency is too high as well.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 06:14:04 am »

Using OnLive reminds me of using first-generation wireless mice with dodgy sensors and a rough signal.

One minute, it's tolerable. The next, I feel like I'm sliding the mouse cursor through molasses on a chilly winter morning. Could be network congestion on my end (or on OnLive itself), but I'm honestly not a fan. It feels too inconsistent for serious use.

I won't rule out that it's on my end, though.

As for FTL: it's not bad. The demo is time limited, but you get to move around to different planets (some of which have shops, others have random encounters or events) and fight baddies. You can collect scrap that's then used for upgrades, loot weapons off of your kills, and send your crew around to repair damage etc.

You can open airlocks to vent fires into space, which is sweet.

Each time you use your jump drive, the Rebels expand deeper into the system (from left-to-right in the two sectors I visited), represented by a red circle. If you do anything inside that circle, chances are good that you'll run into serious firepower. I managed to survive long enough to get away, but sustained pretty huge damage from being so outgunned. Answering a distress call after that caused my death (didn't have much choice in answering it, that planet was the only "safe" one outside of the bad guy's territory at the time).

I'll play with it more later. I think it's fun, definitely something a bit different. It's about what I expected, and I mean that in a positive way, but I'm hoping there's enough roguelike spirit to keep it from becoming repetitive. I'll probably buy it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 08:32:29 am »

As for FTL: it's not bad. The demo is time limited

time limited game you may restart or time limited that when you're done, you're done?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:17 am »

I hopped on to try the OnLive demo but was promptly stopped by saying that I had a high latency.

Looks like I'll have to acquire a... local copy of this game to test it out.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:20 am »

Already put $10 to the Kickstarter, secured my future copy :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:27 am »

I'm not putting any money down until I have a guarantee that the full game won't be limited to OnLive as well... fuck this. Other than that though... it really looks like a great game... it's just sad that the delivery is so... terribad.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 01:51:57 pm »

The full game will not be on OnLive, it's DRM-free if you do Kickstarter and on Desura and possibly Steam when released, this is in the FAQ. the OnLive stuff is just as part of the IGF Showcase event going for the next two weeks.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

time limited game you may restart or time limited that when you're done, you're done?
It looks like I'm getting 30 minutes a go. It also looks like there is a "boss" ship at the end of the second sector that is designed to show off "what it's like to get killed by an advanced ship." It appears to be an unavoidable defeat (your engines are disabled for the fight, and it's far and away superior to the equipment your likely to have at that point).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »

Had the time to try it, it's extremely interesting as a game, even if the content is a bit repetitive (but it's a demo so it's fine)

Onlive worked well, I'm impressed. I've to try it with a more demanding game to see ho really well it works. For strategy lag is manageable, but for fps I think not.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:00 pm »

Took 30 minutes to play this game after getting ready for school.

I am in love with this game and will pledge 40$ whenever I can get my money converted into e-money.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:18 am »

Rock Paper Shotgun has a story about it (Feb 28). "FTL is the Star Trek game I've always wanted."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 07:00:43 am »

interface could be better.

I couldn't for the life of me find out how to get to power that third shield level I purchased, all I had was this 'need upgrade' message from the bottom bar and nothing else.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 07:25:27 am »

uninformed statement
You already have a guarantee. The final version of the game will be available as a direct DRM free download, and possibly on services such as Steam and Desura.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 243