Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374100 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #795 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:23 am »

Boarding has it's problems too, as I've discovered.  At least my Anti-Personnel drone ensures my own safety.  I suppose with higher recharge I could get more guys into the scrum.
Boarding just means being careful. Stay to 2 block rooms until you get four boarders over. Take out their healing station if people get to it. And if your boarders start running low on health, run them on a merry chase through their own ship! They can't shoot while moving, giving you time to bring your guys home, heal up, and send them back out.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Kitted it just requires all the room systems.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:53:44 am by GlyphGryph »

stoney834

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:42 am »

Don't bother warping into any of the important system rooms as the AI never gives you a chance to damage the systems if it has any crew uninjured.  Also avoid the pilot room as they can still man it even while fighting.  What I usually do is warp into a 2 block room as far as possible from their medbay.  They'll send 2 crew to fight you, then when those are low on health it'll send them to the medbay, and usually it'll be forced to send the pilot to fight you.  At this point it has no evasion so you can just shoot the medbay with no risk of missing, hopefully killing the crew in there or at least stop them from healing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 20, 2012, 08:50:13 am »

Generally I try to damage a room (like the shields) first, and then warp into there. You can't damage it while fighting, no... but they can't /fix/ it either.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 20, 2012, 09:19:07 am »

I have the tough little ship achievement but for the kitted out achievement do I just need to buy a cloak, teleporter and drone control?

Yep.

A bug named Notch, eh? Oh-ho-ho-ho! ;D

I had a Rockman called Notch which I thought was actually an easter egg. Seems like it's just a generic game across the board.  :(

It's in the game because Notch donated to the Kickstarter campaign for FTL. I was remarking on the fact that the game gave that name to a bug. Y'know, coz Minecraft is notoriously buggy. Shut up, it was funny in my head.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:21:29 am by Sordid »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:37 am »

Where are you guys finding these crystal guys?  I've won 4 times and never even seen one.

Follow distress signals, you'll eventualy come across a derelict ship and gain the option to either grab a weapon or a stasis pod. Grab the pod and take it to the engi (or maybe zoltan) systems so they can revive it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 20, 2012, 10:40:18 am »

I *Think* that the pod is only in engi space (engi homeworld probably), go to the Zoltan homeworld and there is a location there that lets you revive it. Take that crew member to the Rock homeworld and there is a location that lets you unlock a new ship.
(Note: this information is from last patch, I think they made it a bit easier to unlock the ship, so it might be easier now).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:01 am »

Long range scanner things are super useful for this.

Engie sector (homeworld or controlled both have it) and then Zoltan sector (homeworld and controlled both have it)

Both of these are green, so aim for green and a scanner to begin with. Then, when moving around, do so in a way to reveal the most areas without having to visit them. Hit every distress beacon. Go to Zoltan sector, and hit every non-distress/non-ship region. That should get you a crystal, neither encounter is particularly rare. And if you have a varied crew and tools, it just so happens that that strategy is pretty much the best way to get through the game too, since you can rack up rewards with little danger.

Note that without the right equipment, you are NOT guaranteed to successfully retrieve the pod, but the chance seems pretty high at least.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:00:57 am by GlyphGryph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 20, 2012, 11:20:48 am »

Generally I try to damage a room (like the shields) first, and then warp into there. You can't damage it while fighting, no... but they can't /fix/ it either.

You're right, they can't fix the shields. They can just run to medbay and rotate their crew to fight you while you're away from your medbay. Seriously, medbay is target one. Just missile that and then go after shields or something. I'd still port into medbay for a fight.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:25 am »

Nah, I WANT them to run to the medbay. With the shields still downish, I can then unload all my weapons into them, not only taking it out but killing them in the process! If the shields are up, however, taking out the medbay, and stopping them from repairing it, is much more difficult.

Also, you can weapon dance - Fire your weapon at the room where your guys are fighting boarders. Immediately move them out of room. Let boarders take weapon hits. Re-enter room to finish them off. Mwahaha.

Taking down the shields first is fun (and at the very least allows you to suppress the weapons too).

My second boarding party will usually go for the cockpit (after I damage it) to hold that down too.

And if they start getting wounded, go into merry chase mode until they can be teleported back.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:26:31 am by GlyphGryph »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 20, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

Fire bombs are amazing for boarding if you have Rockmen. Drop a firebomb right on the medbay. As soon as it goes off teleport the Rockmen in and they'll keep the crew from putting out the fire. Soon enough the fire will destroy the medbay and move out to other rooms.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 20, 2012, 11:42:57 am »

Find 2 person room with systems if it has no med-bay.  Soften it.  Drop 2 mantis into room and they'll rip everyone apart as they come in 1 by 1.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 20, 2012, 11:45:38 am »

My favorite is still the crystal/mantis combo. You don't even need to bother destroying the medbay. And if you teleport them INTO the medbay, they can destroy it themselves unopposed. Great if you have no shield-piercing or are otherwise completely focused on survival. Obviously not an easy strategy for non-crystal ships though. :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 20, 2012, 11:46:43 am »

I still wonder who was the brilliant Slug that designed Interceptor's rooms. Especially the no-access oxygen unit :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 20, 2012, 11:53:23 am »

Oxygen wasn't designed into their ships originally. It was always available as an optional add-on. It's not that they were stupid, in fact the ship designers were smart. They sold the ships at a lower price, knowing buying would HAVE to buy their "optional" add-on at extensive cost. The down side to this is that being a modular add-on, they weren't able to have it be accessible from inside the rest of the ship. They did provide a small footnote in the owner's manual to remind starship captains that they should always have their O2 system checked out before they left port and whenever possible, have friendly passing ships with teleporters beam crew over to do inspections on the O2 system. :)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 20, 2012, 11:59:19 am »

hmm so i should be able to teleport my crew into the slug O2 room?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 243