Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374142 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #735 on: September 19, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

Yeah, 'normal' is hard as fuck.

all crew members? shops don't have them/not enough random events
That's just a matter of luck, I've managed it without even trying.

recover from 1 HP? always die.
You don't do this one in combat. You sit in an asteroid field with your shields de-powered, your warp drive charged, a shop a single jump away, and enough scrap/stuff to sell to pay for the repairs. Alternatively, get yourself to a store and use a weapon that can target your own ship to damage yourself (I've never tried this, but reportedly it works).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 19, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »

all crew members? shops don't have them/not enough random events
That's just a matter of luck, I've managed it without even trying.

Sadly, the one time I managed this I had an Engi ship.  ::)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »

I also discovered that whenever you encounter a random event that has a chance of taking away a crew member, say, a ship with fires or giant arachnids, it always takes the crewmember at the bottom of the list. Basically, the last crew member you picked up. I was saddened much when a random event ate up my Crystalman. :(
Also often called Boowells.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

Oh yes, there is a whole list of events I just no longer attempt for that sort of reason.

I THINK you can handle all events with a mantis, rockman, and engie, plus an Ion Weapon, Teleport, and Advanced Sensor without any risks. Are there any events with bad outcomes that can't be avoided without at least one of these

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »

Oh yes, there is a whole list of events I just no longer attempt for that sort of reason.

I THINK you can handle all events with a mantis, rockman, and engie, plus an Ion Weapon, Teleport, and Advanced Sensor without any risks. Are there any events with bad outcomes that can't be avoided without at least one of these

You need a slug for the lone madman in a planet or adv. medbay, others require long range scaners (when out of fuel) and some require misiles, cloaking helps on other events. Basically everything gives you extra chances.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 19, 2012, 03:07:06 pm »

You need a slug for the lone madman in a planet or adv. medbay, others require long range scaners (when out of fuel) and some require misiles, cloaking helps on other events. Basically everything gives you extra chances.
Also, advanced weaponry allows you to threathen smugglers into giving you free stuff.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »

Realy? never seen that one.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »

Also, advanced weaponry allows you to threathen smugglers into giving you free stuff.
i like to know whats advance as i had a glaive beam they still felt like battling to the death.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

Its probably dependent on either A) the amount of power that you can/are directing to weapons or B) the number of weapons you possess.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

Just noting this: enemies do not have unlimited missiles. Right now I'm up against a Zoltan ship with only an ion cannon and a missile launcher. Their subsystems are all fine, but they have stopped launching missiles.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:44 pm »

and one beam weapon (that one with a ship stuck in an asteroid)
This one can be done with teleporter, actually.

Which events have a bad outcome option without LRS? Obviously there's a bunch of stuff you can do with better equipment. But I'm talking the minimum amount of equipment to avoid "bad results", not "suboptimal results"

You need a slug for the lone madman in a planet or adv. medbay
Ah, I forgot about this one. So I guess I can advanced medbay to the list (easier than getting a slug anyway)

Also, is there a bad outcome to encountering alien animals and trying to talk to them? I know bringing them on my ship just kills people. :P

And yeah, enemies do run out of stuff. The question is whether them doing so nets you less stuff.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Just noting this: enemies do not have unlimited missiles. Right now I'm up against a Zoltan ship with only an ion cannon and a missile launcher. Their subsystems are all fine, but they have stopped launching missiles.

Oh yeah, I noticed that too in sector 8.  I was up against a rebel ship with two missile bays and two other guns, and my defense drone was reliably shooting down all the missiles.  Then after a while they stopped firing them, and their two other guns weren't enough to break through my shields. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:49 pm »

So the defensive drone basically seems like the best thing in the game, honestly. Enemy missiles are just the worst, the absolute worst.

Hmm... it doesn't stop bombs, though, but bombs are much less common. Does anything stop enemy drones?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »

So the defensive drone basically seems like the best thing in the game, honestly. Enemy missiles are just the worst, the absolute worst.

Hmm... it doesn't stop bombs, though, but bombs are much less common. Does anything stop enemy drones?

Bombs apparently don't hurt your hull, so they aren't as bad in some ways.  Drones I have no idea, but man are they annoying. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 19, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »

AHAHAHAHAHAAAA! I GOT A VICTORY WITH 1 HULL! Oh my god, all I had to take was one missile and I would be toast, or one system taken down by the boarders. But my 45% evasion dodged not one, but THREE missiles and I got one more hit, and won the game!

Oh god, that was freaking intense.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 243