Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374207 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #615 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

So here I was... Finally got Plan B for the Kestral seeing as I had enough cash at the time to get both Cloaking and Drone control at once (already had boarding). So I was like. Hells yeah can't wait to try out Red Tail. I continued on, after a successful run of nearly dieing I pushed my lone Mantis Boarder a bit too far, and an Engi got a hit on him as he tried to push past him through the door. He had just hit Max Combat... I was like...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

And left to try out Red Tail...

EDIT:: LOVE RED TAIL ARRANGEMENT!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:33:36 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 18, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »

Yes, but the stealth cruiser also provides the BEST protection against asteroids via it's long range scanner. :P
I don't usually need protection from asteroids, shields being one of the first things I usually upgrade. So in fact I usually have advantage in that enviroment. Not that time.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:07 pm »

I think it's purposefully kind of vague and futzy, but I always kind of imagined that the federation was exactly what it is in Star Trek, where it's a sort of EU style government for several different species with humans being the centrepiece of the entire arrangment, this arrangement worked well for a while and the federation prospered. But then eventually difficulties cropped, up and a racially motivated human rebellion crops up, I always kind of imagined the rebellion to be a human superiority thing because all the rebel ships have human crews.

I really don't know what's up with the whole secret information thing, it never actually tells you what that information actually is.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:19 pm »

Whaaat? Yes it does.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »

The secret information is that the rebel flagship is the keystone for the entire rebel fleet somehow, I think. When you get to sector eight, I vaguely recall that they didn't know that before then.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 18, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

Supposedly it's something to do with a weakness on the flagship... or that the flagship IS the weakness...

Ninja'd...

Beat it once again with the Federation Cruiser on Easy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »

duuude spoilers  ;D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 18, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »

ARGBLARGOMFGGAGAGSGA!

I could get the crystal cruiser but missed it by one turn!!!

I died to the 3rd stage of the boss when he had 2 hp left!!!

BEST WORST RUN EVER :) :(

P.S. Here's my quick take on engi round ship. I guessed they could use some lights and features here and there, being cybernetic race.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 18, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »

I might look into doing some recolors too.

I kind of like the Engi ship, it's fun and the layout feels more like an actual spaceship, but the combat style makes you pretty vulnerable to becoming obsolete if you don't get stronger weapons.  Two shield pips is almost insurmountable with just a drone and ion gun.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 18, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »

That's a nice one, Deon.

Once I get more ships unlocked an get a feeling for the differences I might try modding in some ships of my own.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 18, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »

DEAR GOD, REDTAIL IS A KILLING MACHINE FOR THE FIRST TWO SECTORS!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:11 pm »

I like how it's all up to interpretation, but I too see much Star Trek in the Federation.  Good point about the rebels being human.  I hadn't quite noticed that, but I did notice that Mantis ships tend to have Engi (slaves).  For some reason I assumed the secret information was the existence of the rebel flagship, but the dialogue of sector 8 doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

The webcomic NerfNow did a FTL strip, it's nothing special but kind of nice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 18, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »

It looks like a mix between Star Trek and Star Wars to me. Federation gets taken out by human supremacists with a super-ship.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 18, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »

I think it's purposefully kind of vague and futzy, but I always kind of imagined that the federation was exactly what it is in Star Trek, where it's a sort of EU style government for several different species with humans being the centrepiece of the entire arrangment, this arrangement worked well for a while and the federation prospered. But then eventually difficulties cropped, up and a racially motivated human rebellion crops up, I always kind of imagined the rebellion to be a human superiority thing because all the rebel ships have human crews.

I really don't know what's up with the whole secret information thing, it never actually tells you what that information actually is.
I'm not sure I agree about the federation being that accepting of other species. Did you notice 3 of the species names are specieist slurs? (There's no way Rockemen, Mantises or slugs are self-names.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 18, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »

I don't know about that, but the slugs at least are distrusted and ostracized in the Federation according to their tooltip.
With good reason  ;)  And they still serve on the federation cruiser, but still.  Mantises serve too I think.  To force it into Star Trek terms, Ferengi and Klingon citizens are welcome in the Federation but they're distrusted or treated differently.

What I don't know is whether the hostile empires were ever member-states like the Engi and Zoltan seem to be, or if some of their citizens just decided to join the Federation (like Ferengi I guess).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 243