Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374254 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #465 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:40 am »

I have tendency to destroy the ship before they run out of oxygen :I

Honestly, how long does it takes to them to suffocate? I try to keep oxygen room at red and shoot only when necessary, but so far, I suffocated one ship out of tens I tried :/

Probably also need to destroy the medbay, if present. They usually heal faster than they suffocate. I did nothing but suffocate enemies, when I used the Torus and had two ion cannons. One locked on the oxygen, one on the medbay.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:53 am »

if you suffocate them, then you can't board.

fire or a breach missile, otoh...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 17, 2012, 03:29:21 am »

Honestly, how long does it takes to them to suffocate? I try to keep oxygen room at red and shoot only when necessary, but so far, I suffocated one ship out of tens I tried :/
It's more or less impossible to suffocate with normal weapons (I've never done it), you need either the ion cannon/bomb or that system destroying bomb. Otherwise the ships tend to fall apart before running out of oxygen.
I suppose the way to do it with regular weapons would be to knock out oxygen and then start a  few fires/breaches so it would run oujt faster.  :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, I died.

You didn't want to go through the nebula? That slows the rebel advance and means that you can hit more stops. I always prefer nebulae.
Yep. Nebula suck. The one that was there was also an ion storm.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:30 am »

Anyone for joining an DFC/Bay12 FTL steam group for talk as well as unofficial leaderboards and achievement discussion?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 17, 2012, 03:51:07 am »

I'm using the no drm version, so no steam achievement for me  :D

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:15 am »

Yep. Nebula suck. The one that was there was also an ion storm.

I find that AI suffers more from half-energy than me. I actually rather like ion storms.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 17, 2012, 04:25:27 am »

Do enemies have unlimited missiles?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:17 am »

Do enemies have unlimited missiles?
No. Missile launchers and bomb launchers frequently run out, you'll notice if you're in a long fight against someone with bombs. The launcher just powers up and remains stuck open, without any damage to the system whatsoever.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:27 am »

Yeah, a good set of weapons can completely make your ability to finish the game, though differing strategies emerge when you make due with what you have.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2012, 05:02:22 am »

I have the blast laser I + 2 heavy lasers + otherwise every single upgrade on my ship - stuck at the final fight for quite a while now.

fml

**Continud the stand off for a while until getting the achievement where you have to get hit with a max engine 4 times in a row told me it was time to depart.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:08:04 am by ThtblovesDF »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:10 am »

I could only beat the game on easy with Engi Plan A...  Maybe I just need more drones in both... but... the engi heal augment is uber.
Went and unlocked the Plan B for the first 3 non-secret ships, havn't tried  any of those yet.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2012, 05:27:52 am »

I could only beat the game on easy with Engi Plan A...  Maybe I just need more drones in both... but... the engi heal augment is uber.
Went and unlocked the Plan B for the first 3 non-secret ships, havn't tried  any of those yet.
What you actually need is enough firepower to get through its shields (i.e. enough missiles or bombs to last you the fights, or at least a six-shot burst attack), maximum evasion and good shields, and a hull repair drone. If you're flying the Osprey (for some reason... you would have had to defeat the boss once already), just focus on upgrading the Artillery beam, engine, shields, and drones. The Artillery deals quite a nice chunk of damage, bypassing all but the Super shields, and by the time it's charged the Burst Laser would have worn down the immunity. But whatever you're actually going for, the Hull Repair is a must. Not even for patching up mid-battle, though that's definitely a use for it if you can spare the power. It's actually a cheaper means of repair than what you get at most stores, and it's the only always-available way of repairing inbetween Flagship forms.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2012, 05:30:32 am »

This is Sector 3. The flagship won't know what hit it.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:30 am »

4 Burst Laser Mk IIs? I raise you 2 Burst Laser Mk IIIs, my Captain sacrificing himself, and sitting in the flagship missile barrages with no evasion until my artillery laser brought it down while I went for some water.

Federation Cruiser (ship you get for beating the game once) OP.

EDIT: To clarify, the final round I didn't fire my burst lasers, the passive Artillery Laser barrage from the ship shreds the Rebel Flagship so hard. It seems silly that you get a ship that makes beating the game much easier once you beat the game :|
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:04:09 am by KaelGotDwarves »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 243