Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374258 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #450 on: September 17, 2012, 01:17:06 am »

Nebulas A) are fairly likely to have nothing in them, which is why I hate nebula systems, getting 10 "there is nothing there" messages is pretty annoying as well as sucks up your fuel B) Can have ion storms, which aren't super dangerous really, but I hate them and they are pain in the asses.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:07 am »

Nebulas A) are fairly likely to have nothing in them, which is why I hate nebula systems, getting 10 "there is nothing there" messages is pretty annoying as well as sucks up your fuel B) Can have ion storms, which aren't super dangerous really, but I hate them and they are pain in the asses.

..aaand  a higher chance of the random 'you're boarded' event which gives you absolutely nothing back but damage.

having the enhanced sensor perk helps a lot in nebula, in finding ships and avoiding ion storms

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:01 am »

On a different note, what would people want (aside from modding capability) in an expansion/DLC? Personally, I would like a couple more ships (that still need to be unlocked, of course), and more game styles/campaigns.

For that, I'd suggest a game mode where the goal is to get some ludicrous quantity of scrap and go to some place. The sectors would be more spread out, in a spiral-ish pattern, instead of the linear fashion appropriate for the quest in the game right now. The more central sectors are tougher and have better loot, and you need to get to the centermost with some quantity of scrap. Or perhaps your score would be modified by how long you took (varying inversely) and how much scrap you got (varying directly).

Perhaps another kind of alien or three?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:12 am »

a black market where you can place an item order and collect it at the longjump between systems: so to remove some of the excessive randomness

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:52 am »

On a different note, what would people want (aside from modding capability) in an expansion/DLC? Personally, I would like a couple more ships (that still need to be unlocked, of course), and more game styles/campaigns.

For that, I'd suggest a game mode where the goal is to get some ludicrous quantity of scrap and go to some place. The sectors would be more spread out, in a spiral-ish pattern, instead of the linear fashion appropriate for the quest in the game right now. The more central sectors are tougher and have better loot, and you need to get to the centermost with some quantity of scrap. Or perhaps your score would be modified by how long you took (varying inversely) and how much scrap you got (varying directly).

Perhaps another kind of alien or three?
Another race of alien meant for challenging play (i.e. they are worse than humans stat-wise, but maybe start with a more adaptable loadout once you unlock their ship), maybe another one that have "learns slower, but up to 3 levels" as their racial bonus (though it may just promote grind), one new layout for every ship, with new achievements to unlock them, and a classic Rogue campaign. I.e., navigate sectors in one direction to get something, then navigate them back through much more hostile territory to make use of it and fight another big baddie. And of course, new weapons, new drones, new upgrades, etc. Maybe an "overclock" mechanic where you can route extra power to a system to increase its performance, at the cost of a chance of damage every use (for weapons, teleporters or drones), or every five/ten seconds (for always-on systems). Maybe it could be a special ability of one of the new alien ships...

Also, I made a useful discovery about Zoltans. They supply power to systems they stand in, not work in, and they add one power point per crewmember. They keep adding that one point per crewmember even when power is otherwise cut by, say, Ion damage. If you stick two Zoltans in your shield room, you will never have your shield completely taken out by Ion weapons, so any enemy that relies on Ions and fire beams will be SOL. (well, either it's that or there is something else that prevented my shields from collapsing that one time. I will conduct more testing of this theory.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:44:26 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:26 am »

The option for a longer mode (of course with some higher end items thrown in so that there is actual progression beyond where you can get now).
I think the option to modularily upgrade a ship would be pretty neat as well (eg. allows shield 5, unlock a extra drone/weapon bay, 9 allowed crew members, +2 to max engine level, oxygen 4 (which would allow you to vent rooms remotely and without opening them to space), some of the unique systems that you can only start with (Zoltan supersheild, engi global heal thingy)) which would allow even more progression after you get to a maxed out point, either on a new ship, or a part a longer game mode once you got past a certain point.

Extra ships, weapons, species.

A super giant map (Instead of 8 sectors, you get 1 giant super long and tall sector that you progress along, changing to different areas as you go through (eg. rock homeworld), and branching out and going back together like the current sector map does, it would be pretty neat methinks (although it wouldn't be very different from how it is now).

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 17, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

I seem to have had the most progress so far in my games with the Torus, but it's an inherently powerful ship when you think about it. A disabling shot, and an automated drone puts you in easymode for the first two to three sectors, allowing you to rack up a bit of scrap. Still haven't beaten the game yet, due to a lack of a good direct damage dealing weapon. I had a lot of success with two Ion Blast II's and a Fire Beam, along with maxed engines, shield 3, a Beam I drone and an Anti Ship I drone. The refire rate of the Ion Blast II's makes it insanely easy to train someone to man weapons, especially when you can just blast a ship's O2 and weapons, sit back and take the scrap once they all asphyxiate.

Got to the second form of the boss with my most recent game, but wasn't able to put out enough damage before those drones of his shredded everything I held dear. Need to get a cloak so I can simply dodge the hail of drone rape.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:18:28 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:07 am »

Just got this today, played two games so far. First run, made it to the final boss but couldn't deal enough damage fast enough to penetrate the shields. I died :(
Second run in the Torus. Made it to the final boss again, actually defeated the first form and came within 4 hull points of taking out the second (Halberd beam is awesome). If I had focused on the shields or whatever instead of trying to take out the drone control, perhaps I might have survived. Seems that the boss's special ability isn't affected by the status of the drone control room.

For a sequel or expansion, I'd like to see bonuses for having crew in a greater variety of rooms. Cloaking, for instance; slightly decrease cool-down time for having a crew member working in there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 17, 2012, 02:24:16 am »

As far as an interesting feature to have... make it so certain species excel more in certain areas. Engis being the tinkerers they are would be more at home with engines or some sort of drone bonus, Mantis with weapons, Zoltan with shields, and maybe humans with Piloting to give them something to be better than average at. Mainly it could be done by allowing a level 3 for those systems for those races, or possibly a bonus to their learning rate with them. Shields are absurdly hard to level, while Engines and Piloting get much, much easier with a few upgrades.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:30:29 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:47 am »

torus needs nothing special, just get far enough, to the fifth sector, and it gets unlocked.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:24 am »

How are you guys getting so much scrap, equipment and crew? I rarely have more than 30 scrap on hand at any one time, and it usually takes me the whole sector to amass ~100  needed to upgrade some of the systems. With repairs, fuel and rockets there is hardly enough scrap for anything else. This is on easy mode, on the normal mode I just die usually in around sector 3.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 17, 2012, 02:48:15 am »

scraps collected increase with the sectors :
you easily get 50 scraps per destroyed ship after sector 6 (even playing easy as I do).

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 17, 2012, 02:52:08 am »

How are you guys getting so much scrap, equipment and crew? I rarely have more than 30 scrap on hand at any one time, and it usually takes me the whole sector to amass ~100  needed to upgrade some of the systems. With repairs, fuel and rockets there is hardly enough scrap for anything else. This is on easy mode, on the normal mode I just die usually in around sector 3.

Destroy their oxygen and suffocate the crew, leaving the ship intact. Or board them. Not both, though.  :D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 17, 2012, 02:58:13 am »

I have tendency to destroy the ship before they run out of oxygen :I

Honestly, how long does it takes to them to suffocate? I try to keep oxygen room at red and shoot only when necessary, but so far, I suffocated one ship out of tens I tried :/
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 17, 2012, 03:02:02 am »

Finally beat the Rebel Flagship on easy after running into it a half dozen times... spoilers ahead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I find that I could have beaten it on a much earlier walkthrough if I had access to the Burst laser III. Seriously.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 243