Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374266 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:10 pm »

I love playing the Red-Tail as a hit and run, boarding/cloak/disabler. If you can get your hands on a breach bomb or ion bomb, it's so perfect.
I took down the flagship and only took a couple points of hull damage, mainly due to their breach drone. I simply sent in my boarding squad to deal with all of the weapon systems.. then the rest of the crew in phase 1. Used breach bombs whenever the suckers went to heal up. Then I remembered the Untrustworthy AI achievement and teleported my entire crew onto the flagship before blowing it up! This game is awesome.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »

Finally got around to trying this.  I'm really impressed, I didn't think I'd like the way the game was set up, I was hoping for something more open-ended but they pulled it off.

That was exactly my train of thought. FTL sounded stale and linear when I saw it on Steam, but a friend convinced me to buy the game anyway and I'm loving it.

I just wish there was something like the Dungeons of Dredmor leaderboards. Those kept me and my friends playing for dozens of extra hours just to one up eachother.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »

Then I remembered the Untrustworthy AI achievement and teleported my entire crew onto the flagship before blowing it up! This game is awesome.

You do realize you don't need to BLOW UP the enemy ship for that right? It says defeat, not explodificate in a suicidal manner.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »

if only there was a fap-bay.

someone mod in happiness for crew members and add that!
Greatorder no.

Its time to stop with everything being centered around fap.

In other news, crew teleporter is surprisingly good. Being able to board ships is always fun.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

It's also easy to lose ships due to overeager boarding on the player's part.  At least that is my experience with it.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »

Well this is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I mean, I've heard nothing but good things, but it's not really my type of game normally. Still trying to figure out how to actually do well so I'm only playing on Easy, but I got to the second to last sector before a random difficulty spike got me from "no fights are a challenge, they can't even get through my shields" to "oh god why can't I hurt them why do they hurt so much". I think I just need to specialize more so I can kill them bigger and faster.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »

Fire beams are fun! There have been times where I've actually let the enemy surrender to me because I wanted to see if they could put out the raging fires I've inflicted upon them. Their systems go down bit by bit until the ship randomly explodes. To bad you don't get the extra scrap for it though.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:27 pm »

I'm holding out on buying this, this just seems like SPAZ (Space pirates and zombies) with a lot less content and playability. And SPAZ costs the same exact amount of money.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »

Then I remembered the Untrustworthy AI achievement and teleported my entire crew onto the flagship before blowing it up! This game is awesome.

You do realize you don't need to BLOW UP the enemy ship for that right? It says defeat, not explodificate in a suicidal manner.

There's a reason you can't pull that off with the flagship, won't spoil it though.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »

I suck as I was playing for hours but have only unlocked Engi ship. Farthest I have been was sector 7 on Normal mode. :(

But the game rocks!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »

Nearly killed the final boss this time, guess my drones weren't good enough.  Of course, a defensive drone would have helped alot.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2012, 11:09:03 pm »

Had an amazing run and unlocked the B layout all in the same go.

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2012, 12:44:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, I died.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:46 am »

Have made it to sector 8 four times, once dying horribly pretty quickly and three times taking the boss to the third stage.

Just finished first run in Red Tail. Doing fairly well, with mostly competent crew and a pair of Mantis that board the bridge (mostly because it only will fit two at a time, so my boarders aren't outnumbered) and wreak havoc.  Unfortunately, my latest foe was a Zoltan energy ship and I had one health left. I get through the pre-shield and warp my guys in on the weapon room, planning to bail them out the moment my Jump recharges. What happens? It goes like this: Jump recharges->Enemy launches missile->I activate teleporter to bring mantis guys back->mantis guys have almost disappeared from enemy weapon room when missile hits, ending it horribly.

Had it not been an energy ship, I might've had the weapons controls destroyed in time to kill everyone on board. Alas, some things are not meant to be.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2012, 01:03:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, I died.

You didn't want to go through the nebula? That slows the rebel advance and means that you can hit more stops. I always prefer nebulae.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 243