Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372542 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3585 on: June 17, 2014, 01:11:48 am »

I have never yet to get boarding to work, but I just had a pair of overpowered wins on easy. First, Osprey on easy. Three Flak 1's and a bio beam, plus cloak. Second, Zoltan A, Vulcan, preignitor, mind control, cloak, Halberd beam. Plus boarding and Anti`personnel drones. The third form wouldn't have gotten through the initial Zoltan Shield if I hadn't mistimed a cloak.

Sadly, I don't seem to be able to win unless I get a vastly overpowered run.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: June 17, 2014, 04:15:09 am »

Tried out a boarding build on hard mode, went Rock B because fire boarding fuck yeah.  Also cause its not as crazy specialized as Mantis or Crystal B.

This was one of the most satisfying runs I've ever lost.  I ran a ridiculously tight ship; I reached last stand with 0 fuel, 5 missiles, and 6 drones.  That's WITH a drone recovery arm I purchased halfway through the game because I needed to split my drones between a combat drone, a defense drone, and a hack.  Seven sectors in I had only my 2 starting weapons.  Also, I counted partway through the game and I was running at ONE QUARTER of my max power.  And that's with no wasted upgrades, minus some early engine upgrades I bought to survive the rebel fleet at low health and the one extra O2 I started with.  The game was sort of defined by an early pre-ignitor purchase, sadly I couldn't get a build that took advantage of it so I had to settle for instantaneous fireboarding and some heavy pierce sniping.

At the end I found myself about to fight the 3rd form of the flagship with 4 health left and 6 power total between my weapon and drone systems.  I decided to face death with honor instead of hoping for the negligible chance of a repair event in Last Stand.  Main lesson learned: if you are going to board the flagship on hard, you NEED a cloak.  Its mandatory.  A defense drone isn't enough.

On a happier note, I learned two new tactics: if you disable a system before a pulsar burst, it only gets drained by 1 (I think), also if you're fast you can intentionally de-activate your defense drone to let a hack through and thus choose which system the flagship hacks.  Sadly I didn't learn the pulsar trick in time to save myself from being devastated; fucking hard mode pulsars.  I did waste the flagship's hack on my sensors.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3587 on: June 22, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

Today I learned that hacking stun causes everything to be stunned when you hack.

So what seemed like a brilliant idea for a boarding ship instead causes everyone to stand around doing nothing. Nothing happens except for your one Lanius-Boader's passive air-drain ability.

Yay for cloning!
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: May 11, 2015, 10:01:06 pm »

Just to make us cry. A sub 13min FTL AE run. World record possibly. 12:41. Wow.

Yes, he's very lucky with the pre-ignitor and halberd early on. But still, damn that's fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwQUnq-aIE
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:36:57 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: May 11, 2015, 10:22:16 pm »

Just to make us cry. A sub 13min FTL AE run. World record possibly. 12:41. Wow.

Yes, he's very luck with the pre-ignitor and halberd early on. But still, damn that's fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwQUnq-aIE

Yeah, the first-sector pre-ig is absurd in Stealth B.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: May 12, 2015, 04:19:17 am »

Wasn't going to bother resurrecting this thread to share, but: next time you're in a pulsar system, turn off every single system right before the pulse.  IRRC, unpowered systems can only receive 1 ion damage from the pulse.

Just booted this up again, played a hard kestral game in hopes I would see a pulsar and verify.  Four hours and a lot of red health bars later, still no pulsar, but...

Spoiler: I still got it (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:15 pm »

Both oxygen and medbay are out, with breaches in the hull... most of your crew are wounded... on top of that, fires are spreading throughout the ship... at least they'll die happy, suffocating and burning alive, knowing they completed their mission.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: May 13, 2015, 06:38:34 pm »

He has door control, and Mullet and Maloney have enough HP between them to repair that breach and get the O2 back online (though one of them may die in the attempt...) if nothing else, the remnants of the Federal Fleet may be close enough to effect a rescue.

Nice win with that layout though, I'm impressed you pulled it off (I imagine Mind Control and Hacking were quite pivotal in that battle.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:14 pm »

I love close wins like that!  But yeah, I think you could repair from that without losing anyone.  Maybe.

I don't think that's possible in this round:

They're *safe*, but they're not going anywhere without assistance :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: May 13, 2015, 10:48:35 pm »

He has door control, and Mullet and Maloney have enough HP between them to repair that breach and get the O2 back online (though one of them may die in the attempt...) if nothing else, the remnants of the Federal Fleet may be close enough to effect a rescue.

Nice win with that layout though, I'm impressed you pulled it off (I imagine Mind Control and Hacking were quite pivotal in that battle.)
Pretty vital, yeah.  I really wanted some kind of good burst laser but shops did not agree with me, so I made due with what I had.  If the flak hits first that's 8 hits every ~12 seconds, enough for most fights except the flagship.  The hack was a last minute addition, I almost didn't have enough scrap to get it up to level 2.  Sabotage shields and evade right before the first volley hits, second volley destroys shields and then the fight is pretty much over.  Last fight is the hardest because it can't be bursted down and the supershield blocks all my tricks.

My philosophy in the final fight is that keeping the core combat systems up is more important than anything, including repelling borders.  Combine that with the Kestral being pretty weak for hard mode and yeah, it was a desperate fight.  Find out if our heroes survived in the sequel (except the Engi, it died onscreen to show that everyone else was in danger).

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: November 07, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »

Just chucked this back on my new PC. After one tester game to remember how to play, I managed a win in the Kestral A on easy. Not bad for my second go in a year or so. Had an awesome 2xburst II, pike and hull beam setup (with pre-ignitor). Pew pew- ZAP!

Easiest run ever.

Now onto the Engi A. Oh how I hate that thing......
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: November 07, 2015, 07:57:11 pm »

Wow Rolan7 I didn't even know it was possible to win without cloak... You showed me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: November 07, 2015, 08:00:23 pm »

I've never understood how people get weapon pre-igniters.  I literally get one every 50 hours I play.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: November 07, 2015, 08:30:10 pm »

Wow I almost forgot about that run, dang it was fun.  I named a character after me but one of my named "friends" killed me in the second sector under mind control.

And yeah cloak is super useful for the boss of course...  I actually usually don't go for it though.  It's mostly for the dang triple-missiles, which a defense drone and high evasion can mostly negate.  It's also always my #1 priority to take out.  I prioritize a teleporter over cloaking, partially just for that (also extra scrap income from captures).
(The danmaku laser attack in stage 3 is rough too, but high evasion and shields can mitigate most of that)

I only play on normal though, on hard I'd probably want a cloak.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: November 07, 2015, 09:57:00 pm »

I tend to prioritize pre-ignitors if I can get one early. I was saving for an extra shield, saw that, hocked everything but 1 burst II (on the assumption that EVERYTHING is good with a pre-ignitor), and coasted through the rest of the run. I could potentially get one every 6-10 runs or so if I really wanted one (on easy though, so it probably doesn't count).

Got an Ion II, Ion I, Hull Burst I, combat I and defense II, mind control on my Engi A run so far (Defense unpowered as yet). Still feels weak as, had a very bad run at the start and just managed to put a workable ship together now. It's actually doing pretty well.  Hoping I can tweak it into something awesome in the next 2 sectors or so (only on sector 4 so far). My kingdom for a drone recovery arm :)
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 243