Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374320 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2012, 10:02:13 pm »

The worst part about the drones is that when they breach, they make a nice big hole for themselves... so if you want to kill them... you have to solve that oxygen problem.

On the bright side, breaches save their repair state if you have to leave.  Unlike ship systems like the O2 generator, where if you don't finish the repair, you have to start over.  So when you O2 unit goes down, you might be stuck having to sacrifice somebody in order to get it working (although on the Kestrel, there is just enough time to send someone from the medibay to fix the O2, then send them back to the medibay before they die).

Fire in the medbay = The end.

You can't heal because you need to fix the medbay first. You can't fix th medbay yet because you need to put out the fire.

It's certainly not hopeless.  You either send Rock crew to put out the fire, or vent the air to the medibay.  Granted, that is easier on some designs than others.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »

The only time I had to deal with a boarding drone was in my first victory run. It was enough of a pain in the ass that I made sure I had a defense drone just to shoot down the stupid thing the second time around.

I remember having to slowly seal off portions of my ship to slow the damn thing down (can't exactly fight it when your crew consists of two Zoltans and two Engies) and trying to buy enough time for me to take down the droid control. It was quite intense and I definitely wasn't prepared for it the first time around.

Which is kinda the sad part, as the mothership is always the same. If it had random loadouts it would be way more difficult to prepare for.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2012, 10:50:11 pm »

I finally get a crystal dude and left the rock homeworld a couple sectors back. Damn.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2012, 10:50:11 pm »

Shortly after being amazed that I reached sector 5 on my absolute first playthrough, I was massacred.

Overzealous border patrol boarded my ship while an assault drone and their weapons pounded my shield. After blowing up my oxygen generator, they stormed the engine room where my rock guy was working. I drew the crew from my shield room and weapons control, along with a mantis standing in an empty room, to the engine room to fight. While they fought the 2 boarders, the enemies pounded my ship with their weapons fire and destroyed almost every system before I finally exploded.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2012, 11:08:15 pm »

Overzealous border patrol boarded my ship while an assault drone and their weapons pounded my shield. After blowing up my oxygen generator, they stormed the engine room where my rock guy was working. I drew the crew from my shield room and weapons control, along with a mantis standing in an empty room, to the engine room to fight. While they fought the 2 boarders, the enemies pounded my ship with their weapons fire and destroyed almost every system before I finally exploded.

ohmygod I have to get this game. I don't think life will be complete until I do.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »

So does anyone else "train" their units?

Find an enemy with a weak weapon and just... sit around, until engine man and pilot man are at max (for a cool +20% dodge boost), same with shield guy (easier with another point of shield), and then use a weak weapon to train the weapon reload guy early on?

It seems sort of gamey, but god damn it I clearly need every advantage I can get, since I only just barely made it to Sector 5 and I refuse to switch to easy.

Clearly I am bad at this game, ah well...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:54 am »

I considered this but as so far of the 3 games I have played of it I have recorded all 3 of them means I can't just sit around being boring. Speaking of recording my games the first half of the first game I played is up now HERE. Tell me what you all think of it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:34 am »

Odd I swear I seen a game that was basically FTL except better.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36:06 am »

The only similar game I know of is another Roguelike called Prospector which is also a good one but the concepts are different enough that I could not call FTL a copy of it.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as I can tell, Amazing game. Maybe it'll get stale after 10 or so more successful runs, but hopefully we'll get some modding/extra content. Still worth your money.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2012, 01:44:57 am »

Yeah, I have noticed that the enemies seem to have access to a number of multihit lasers where I am generally stuck at the 3 hit one which is really nice till you start seeing 3 shield guys. I lost the last of the 3 games I played because I missed one shot, if I had hit I would have been able to fire my hull beam across 3 sections for the remaining 3 hull points of the enemy.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as I can tell, Amazing game. Maybe it'll get stale after 10 or so more successful runs, but hopefully we'll get some modding/extra content. Still worth your money.
10 or more successful runs.
Hehehehe.
Good luck getting that any time soon.

Great job on getting to the second form on your second try though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

So... I earned the Stealth Cruiser earlier today and decided. LETS GIVE IT A TRY.

Then I learned how awesome cloaking, pegasus missiles and a teleporter are all together.

I actually almost feel sorry for the Flagship. Considering it actually couldn't hurt me anymore after I had two of my crew members take out it's Tri missile launcher. Then it just kinda... Crumbled.

Also I really, really, really can't recommend getting a teleporter soon enough. Your scrap collection just goes through the roof when you have one and use it properly.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2012, 02:54:00 am »

The only similar game I know of is another Roguelike called Prospector which is also a good one but the concepts are different enough that I could not call FTL a copy of it.

But isn't there one where your ship is populated by people and you build rooms yourself.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2012, 03:02:49 am »

But isn't there one where your ship is populated by people and you build rooms yourself.
1: Yes it is populated by people. They are your crew.
2: You sort of do, in that you buy room units to fit on the ship. But the actual interior of the ship is some sort of unresolved quantum space, where every room exists in the same space at the same time. There's no room layout.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 243